Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 11:33 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Seeking defilade is not relevant to whether the weapon is concealable or not...
Firing from a blind is nothing new. Lee Harvey Oswald...

I could go further with the sneeking suspicion of why he had begun amassing weapons since last October/November

Gee, I wonder...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HsXPyX...ature=youtu.be

Edit to add: carrying out said attack right before pro gun legislation for national reciprocity and suppressors...

What does Hillary respond with... frantic autistic screeches of it would have been worse if suppressors were used... how more obvious can it be...
And this game of pointing out what is nothing new is maybe even more fun! The one about Hillary is getting awfully old though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 11:39 AM

8,157 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
LOL comparing an island with the landmass and population of what... New Hampshire? To the United States? Pfft.
Lol. UK is 66 million people or something like that.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:45 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
What are your good reasons for more control on "these weapons" what specific weapons are you discussing anyway? And what makes you think that the unspoken controls you mention will prevent such events occurring? And what controls are you not stating but in abstract?

Sound and reasonable judgement normally implies that you have a thought process that should lead to you being able to very easily answer the above questions without squirming, dissembling or backtracking.
With all due respect, aside from the patience needed to address some of these lame arguments about why nothing should be considered let alone done, I simply can't waste more time repeating my answers to your questions. Specific answers, not "abstract" as you also want to misrepresent.

I've wasted too much time trying before, with your question and others, and obviously the answers make little difference to those who are on the opposite side of opinion about how to address this problem (or not). Some get where I'm coming from. Others simply can't, for reasons that transcend sound reason and logic -- on both sides of this issue!

At a minimum, let's stop this nonsense about how ANYONE thinks ANY of these measures to prevent acts of terrorism "will prevent such events occurring!" Again, please have mercy. It's just like no matter how hard I try to offer some reason and logic, comments like this still occur...

Of course there is just no preventing all such nonsense from occurring again, but some people like me believe the effort might reduce the level of nonsense even if just a bit. Much like education can't eliminate all ignorance, we still believe in the effort of education regardless, even though it can't stop all ignorance. Same with all other efforts we put forth to mitigate crime and wrong-doing; drug abuse, spousal abuse, child abuse, murder, suicide, etc.

The "can't prevent all" argument is one of the most lame of all.

Right?

Old 10-09-2017, 11:58 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
With all due respect, aside from the patience needed to address some of these lame arguments about why nothing should be considered let alone done, I simply can't waste more time repeating my answers to your questions. Specific answers, not "abstract" as you also want to misrepresent.

I've wasted too much time trying before, with your question and others, and obviously the answers make little difference to those who are on the opposite side of opinion about how to address this problem (or not). Some get where I'm coming from. Others simply can't, for reasons that transcend sound reason and logic -- on both sides of this issue!

At a minimum, let's stop this nonsense about how ANYONE thinks ANY of these measures to prevent acts of terrorism "will prevent such events occurring!" Again, please have mercy. It's just like no matter how hard I try to offer some reason and logic, comments like this still occur...

Of course there is just no preventing all such nonsense from occurring again, but some people like me believe the effort might reduce the level of nonsense even if just a bit. Much like education can't eliminate all ignorance, we still believe in the effort of education regardless, even though it can't stop all ignorance. Same with all other efforts we put forth to mitigate crime and wrong-doing; drug abuse, spousal abuse, child abuse, murder, suicide, etc.

Right?
So I can only presume you have no sound reasoning. I didn't misrepresent anything you stated

"Gun CONTROL, like with regard to these weapons Paddock used, is likely inevitable however, for good reason."

I'm just asking what controls, how will they improve the current events like LV, and what weapons are you referring to.

Now I will under full disclosure admit that I suspected you were blowing smoke out of your posterior. Now you've confirmed the suspicion, you squirmed, dissembled, and backtracked all in one post, I'm impressed.

Last edited by Gungnir; 10-09-2017 at 02:30 PM..

Old 10-09-2017, 12:06 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Even Diane Feinstein said that no law could have prevented the Las Vegas shooting. And she is a gun control freak.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...-massacre.html

Old 10-09-2017, 12:10 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

Right?
What you are offering has nothing to do with logic. Strictly emotion.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”---Benjamin Franklin
Guns aren't a essential liberty when they are used to kill or maim so the point works the other way too.

Quote:
Gun free zones equate to a target rich environment. By your own admission and in spite of security, "things can get in intentionally".
Then don't go into gun free zones or places that don't allow firearms on premises. Simple as that.

Quote:
guess about the only thing you could do is a thorough body search similar to a police "pat down" of every single person that enters any public event. But that wouldn't have stopped the Las Vegas massacre unless the same was applied to every hotel guest or occupants in buildings surrounding those events. Obviously this would include all bags, luggage, knapsacks, pocketbooks etc. I don't think that would go over too well with the general public. A great many would not even attend these events. As the inconvenience would not be worth it.
The NFL and NHL check bags and use magnetometer on guests coming to the game. If you don't want to go through it, you don't go in. Even concert halls are don't the same thing.
Reddit: Airports did this as early as 1995 though likely before that. It was an inconvenience, but nobody****** about it until after 9/11 despite a terrorist act finding a safety cutoff

Quote:
Even still Paddock had a pilots license and could have flown his plane into that crowd. And that wouldn't stop someone from using a vehicle as a weapon.
OK but he was more efficient using the guns from what the 32nd floor.

Last edited by mkpunk; 10-09-2017 at 12:30 PM..

Old 10-09-2017, 12:29 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
I will go ahead and take the L for this (take the L is sports terminology for "take a loss").

The majority of the murders(by raw numbers) in America, regardless of method used, involved one group. It is mainly Black people being killed by other Black people. Black men are the #1 murder victims in the USA. The circumstances of these murders, no gun laws could solve. As tragic as that mass shooting is, the most common murder that takes place in America is Black men murdering Black men. No gun laws can solve these issues.

1) Anger issues, and the inability to control that anger.
2) The mentality of "if you disrespect me you're a dead man".
3) Gangs and the proliferation of hard drugs such as cocaine, heroin, crack, meth, PCP.
4) Young boys growing up abused and taking that anger out on others.

Gun laws "might" stop the mass shooter. It won't stop the everyday murders in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, in the inner cities of such places like St. Louis, Baltimore, Newark, Atlanta,etc. It goes on in Republican ran states. It goes on in Democratic ran states. There are bigger issues that guns won't solve, issues that have existed going back to the early 20th century and before.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:37 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Exactly, although violence needs to be defined. When I was young and in school, if someone bullied me or backed me in a corner, they got popped. The few times I opened my mouth when I shouldn't have...I got popped. Some my call this violence, I call this learning.
To me our issues are when people think it's a rational decision to take the life of another , or seriously try to injure someone, for anything other than self defense.
I agree that defending yourself is important. And it's not the things in self defense I'm talking about. I'm all for being able to defend yourself. I agree that it's taking someone's life for any other reason than self-defense that is a problem. That is exactly what I'm discussing. That issue has taken place going back to the 1800s.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:39 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Guns aren't a essential liberty when they are used to kill or maim so the point works the other way too.

OK but he was more efficient using the guns from what the 32nd floor.
Oh... well... suppose liberals were correct with their assessment that Trump = Hitler.
Trump fails to protect the populace from foreign entities. WW3

If Trump = Hitler wouldn't it stand to reason you'd want to protect yourself from tyranny? Especially with the motive that all cops are racist and itching to use their service weapon?

Hitler-Gestapo
Trump-Police

As for the other point you make, disregard the the airplane completely on what ifs...

He had bomb building materials...

If your motive is to kill as many people as possible... Wouldn't it stand to reason to use on the basis of efficiency, to use bombs? I'm not a shrink, I don't understand what would possess the mind of someone with such evil and hatred but if I had to take a guess.

Stock pile beginning following the election spanning across multiple states under the false premise they can't track me... or it would be harder to track me...

Scope out music venues (possibly to find those of a different political party in high concentrations)

Use a rifle, one that is surrounded by controversy.

In a dem majority city.

With bomb building material.

Before pro gun legislation is to be voted on.

Girlfriend reporting rapid decline in mental health, the night terrors beginning last summer? And increased in frequency?
Tells me alot right there... I'd bet money on that being the motive. This wasn't some simple deranged being. Who just oh so conveniently snapped...

I may have been born at night it wasn't last night... don't pee down my back and tell me it's rain. There's your motive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies