Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 09:20 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times

Advertisements

Here is part of our problem.
How was Radeed Prince out on the street with 42 arrests and 15 felony convictions ? Much less, get a handgun ?Our judicial system at the state and local levels needs a reboot.
Maryland Shooting Suspect Radee Labeeb Prince's Criminal Record: 42 Arrests, 15 Felony Convictions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 09:43 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
That there are people with guns out there. who have no legal cause to deny them that right, who have no business having them is something I won't deny. I had such a neighbor once. We got along OK for a spell, no issues of concern. I was living in a bedroom community 20 miles outside Reno, and was right on the outside edge. At that time there was nothing but open desert in my back yard...

The best defense is knowledgeable sellers who can read these people which more often than not is pretty easy to do. And just say "Sorry sir, I don't believe we can serve you." It may not sound like much but it happens enough to be of help.
Thanks for your story, yet another about a yahoo with a gun (notably an immigrant in this case)...

Most of the gun owners I know -- all actually -- are older white American males, and I know quite a few. Just to say I don't hear that many personal stories about immigrants with guns. My good buddy had a poker game back in our college days, and one guy at the table got pissed about something and thought right to pull out his gun. Just for show and a bit of intimidation I suppose, but for the rest of us, he was just showing that he too was yet another yahoo with a gun.

Another bad yahoo shot my other good buddy's dad in the chest, three times, at point blank range, as he was getting out of his car in a mall parking lot. Bad yahoo made off with is wallet. My buddy's dad somehow survived and is in his 90s now. I could tell another personal story or two, but enough said.

I agree with you. There are lots of yahoos out there who have no business owning a gun, but most of the gun owners I know are not yahoos, and they will readily agree with us too.

We all know the good pay for the bad apples, and this is just another one of those issues that well demonstrates that point, along with countless others. Why do we all need to wait in airport security screening lines, for example? Because of a few bad apples, very bad apples...

Last edited by LearnMe; 10-19-2017 at 10:52 AM..

Old 10-19-2017, 09:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Here is part of our problem.
How was Radeed Prince out on the street with 42 arrests and 15 felony convictions ? Much less, get a handgun ?Our judicial system at the state and local levels needs a reboot.
Maryland Shooting Suspect Radee Labeeb Prince's Criminal Record: 42 Arrests, 15 Felony Convictions
Well, if he was on a Violent Criminal Predator registry people would've known he was very dangerous and most likely wouldn't have been hired at the place he killed those people...

Old 10-19-2017, 09:49 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
It's amazing you have so many globalists (open-borders liberals - "we're all the same" types) who want to disarm us and love the government, the same government that arms their global citizens against tyrants across the globe.

And these people want us American citizens to turn in our firearms?

Further, to a man, Mr. Trump, who they think is the second coming of Hitler?

Their "logic" is so fallacious it's scary.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Wrong Dave, I merely want a stronger society, more independent and more self reliant, not weak feeble I need an adult in the room to hold my hand and handle my problems for me.

And we want a world where WE can do something to stop scumbags like him ourselves.
I think you mean well, but you demonstrate a true lack of empathy for lots of people not necessarily like you or me...

You probably don't need to think much harder to consider all the people I have described before, people who simply don't think about guns or have guns in their life. They are just not part of the gun culture. Instead they play cards, tend to their gardens, read books, watch TV, play video games, swing on swings on the playground, chat with their girl friends while watching their kids swing on swings on the playground...

Not everyone, not most people for that matter, are cleaning their guns on a regular basis, feeling they are "stronger, more independent, more self-reliant, not weak feeble..."

That you see the differences between people in these regards the way you do is often what truly turns people off, on BOTH sides of this divide!

Old 10-19-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Personally, I could care less if "a guy from Denmark" doesn't get it. The only explanation I need to give to him is that guns are protected by our Constitution. Period.

I have a question regarding "banning" and "confiscation" - if those guns are banned, what will that look like exactly? Do you think that folks will willingly turn those guns in? Will criminals? And how will the government know where those guns are, to "ban" them, unless they start knocking on doors and inspecting guns? Or should there be a registry? I'm curious how that will work. Particularly in light of the Supreme Court ruling regarding guns.
You certainly don't need to go to Denmark to encounter the same sorts of questions and sentiments shared by many Americans right here in America!

This might be too confusing to you I think, but what you don't get is what other people don't get in other advanced countries like Denmark and many millions right here in America too. Still more in Vegas most recently.

Hint: it isn't that they don't get the constitution...

Old 10-19-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
309 pages. LOL. The biggest hot button in the country is this subject. And nobody will listen to the other side.
Your first visit to a gun thread perhaps?

Old 10-19-2017, 10:03 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well, if he was on a Violent Criminal Predator registry people would've known he was very dangerous and most likely wouldn't have been hired at the place he killed those people...

A registry ?! Which part didn't you get, 42 arrests and 15 felony convictions ....he should be rotting away in a cell not on some registry.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Anti-gun people have tried every method under the sun, supposedly to try to reduce shootings. They have uniformly failed. The rate of shootings continues to climb, varying only be location and dated, but not in deadliness. And yet they continue to call for the same things to be tried again and again.

But one method WILL work.

Don't pussyfoot around. Ban all private ownership of guns, period. And enforce it. This will dry up the supply until even the worst criminals can't get a gun any more.

Can anyone see a way this would NOT work in reducing shootings in this country?

The gun-control advocates, of course, throw up their hands in mock horror and insist "We would never ban your guns! What a paranoid idea!" But everything else they try, fails miserably... and their reaction is always, "Well, we just need a little more gun control." There's always the same pattern to their demands... and it leads in only one direction, despite their smooth assurances to the contrary.
Though you are probably right that one method would eventually work, I disagree with the premise you are trying to establish here...

People love to take such steps to the extreme, as if to suggest that if the extreme is unacceptable or not doable, so too are taking such steps. WRONG AGAIN.

Much like the argument about taxes. Obviously if we are taxed to the point of eliminating all incentive to keeping making money, we stop making money and the whole concept of collecting taxes collapses. The argument for taxing to such an extreme level does NOT mean you can't tax at some more reasonable level however.

IOWs, there are some gun control laws that attempt a more reasonable approach to reduce gun violence, and although their level of success is not satisfactory for anyone, they are NOT evidence of this sinister plot to ban all private ownership of guns.

Nice try though. Toss this one onto the heap of weak arguments commonly attempted in these gun threads...

Last edited by LearnMe; 10-19-2017 at 10:54 AM..

Old 10-19-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That isn't the point. The point is that it would have been impossible to stop him without seriously trampling on the rights of law abiding citizens. And once those rights are trampled, it still would have been impossible to stop him.

No one in this thread has presented a workable solution that would have prevented this tragedy.
I don't believe there is any "workable solution that would have prevented this tragedy."

There is also no such solution to prevent people from overdosing on drugs, preventing men from beating women, murder, and on and on...

Is this an argument against all measures intended to address problems that don't have workable solutions that prevent tragedies?

I don't think so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies