Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2018, 09:55 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
OK you got one. So after we get rid of the AR15s and similar we can talk about semi auto handguns.

But still less than half the dead and 5% of the wounded.
We aren't getting rid of anything. Period. Not an option. Shall. Not. Be. Infringed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 09:57 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I find it amusing when the basis of banning an implement is suggested...

If guns cause violence... and death...

How is it I have multiple firearms, and haven't killed or wounded anyone with them?

How come other gun owners haven't killed or maimed others with them?

If guns cause violence, and guns cause death, what am I doing wrong?

Any anti gun folks care to explain that?
Or would you rather double down and blame the implement and not the individual?
No guns don't cause violence or death. They are simply tools that enable it to be done and effectively. If you do not have guns available to people they will kill less. As is well demonstrated but the lower gun death rates in other countries.

Simple stuff. No magic. If you give someone out to cause death a good tool they will kill more and better. If they have a more limited tooll they will be less successful.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
No guns don't cause violence or death. They are simply tools that enable it to be done and effectively. If you do not have guns available to people they will kill less. As is well demonstrated but the lower gun death rates in other countries.

Simple stuff. No magic. If you give someone out to cause death a good tool they will kill more and better. If they have a more limited tooll they will be less successful.
That didn't answer the question. I'll post it again.

Quote:
I find it amusing when the basis of banning an implement is suggested...

If guns cause violence... and death...

How is it I have multiple firearms, and haven't killed or wounded anyone with them?

How come other gun owners haven't killed or maimed others with them?

If guns cause violence, and guns cause death, what am I and others doing wrong?

Any anti gun folks care to explain that?
Or would you rather double down and blame the implement and not the individual?
So I ask again.

If firearms are such a problem... how is it I haven't killed or maimed anyone? Along with the millions of other gun owners in this country?

Do we get a pass and continue to own what we want unabridged and our offspring and theirs? Do we get to manufacture what we want? Or are we all subject to your supercilious emotionally driven law?

Old 01-28-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
That didn't answer the question. I'll post it again.

So I ask again.

If firearms are such a problem... how is it I haven't killed or maimed anyone? Along with the millions of other gun owners in this country?

Do we get a pass and continue to own what we want unabridged and our offspring and theirs? Do we get to manufacture what we want? Or are we all subject to your supercilious emotionally driven law?
You do not understand the difference between being a operator and being a tool? If you are not an operator trying to cause death to others it makes no difference what tools you have.

If however you are an operator who wishes to cause mass death the tools available become very important. If you have a sling shot you are not going to do much harm. If you have 15 or 20 AR15 or similar weapons you can kill 50 people and wound 500 more.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:17 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,023 times
Guns in this country are used for killing in all forms including police and suicides three places to the right of the decimal when compared to how many guns are privately owned.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
You do not understand the difference between being a operator and being a tool? If you are not an operator trying to cause death to others it makes no difference what tools you have.

If however you are an operator who wishes to cause mass death the tools available become very important. If you have a sling shot you are not going to do much harm. If you have 15 or 20 AR15 or similar weapons you can kill 50 people and wound 500 more.
Quite the contradicting statement...

You address the operator first and state I have a difficulty in understanding the difference between operator and tool... yet... you want to go after the tool....

So how is it you can acknowledge the problem indeed is the end user and not the weapon, but double down on the weapon?

That being said not trying to cause death to others, great, all of us law abiding citizens may have machine guns then. Newly manufactured machine guns too. If you acknowledge the problem is the operator and not the tool, and stating not trying to cause death to others... then it shouldn't be an issue with having new produced machine guns.
We aren't trying to cause death to others, it makes no difference what tools we have. You said so yourself.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Quite the contradicting statement...

You address the operator first and state I have a difficulty in understanding the difference between operator and tool... yet... you want to go after the tool....

So how is it you can acknowledge the problem indeed is the end user and not the weapon, but double down on the weapon?

That being said not trying to cause death to others, great, all of us law abiding citizens may have machine guns then. Newly manufactured machine guns too. If you acknowledge the problem is the operator and not the tool, and stating not trying to cause death to others... then it shouldn't be an issue with having new produced machine guns.
We aren't trying to cause death to others, it makes no difference what tools we have. You said so yourself.
Nonsense the problem is that the bad operator is not known and often is unknowable. Paddock seemed rational by any normal standard other than perhaps a gun fetish. But he went off the deep end. So there are the operators who are obviously evil and there are the operators who lose their minds.

So in fact we have no way of guaranteeing the operators will stay safe and rational.

However if we remove the more dangerous weapons we limit the harm that can be done. in fact, as I pointed out earlier the removal of all semi-automatics would save lots of lives. Yes of course there would still be gun deaths. But mass murder would be made more difficult and even the hood drive by would dry up as the could not find suitable weapons.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:39 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,023 times
Quote:
However if we remove the more dangerous weapons we limit the harm that can be done. in fact, as I pointed out earlier the removal of all semi-automatics would save lots of lives. Yes of course there would still be gun deaths. But mass murder would be made more difficult and even the hood drive by would dry up as the could not find suitable weapons.
According to the FBI 80-90% of murders and violent crime are committed by previously convicted felons...seems quite simple that to reduce violent crime 80-90% we should not allow prior violent felons loose again.
The problem is not the tool but rather the fool.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Nonsense the problem is that the bad operator is not known and often is unknowable. Paddock seemed rational by any normal standard other than perhaps a gun fetish. But he went off the deep end. So there are the operators who are obviously evil and there are the operators who lose their minds.
Rational? His girlfriend reported him having night terrors screaming in his sleep, and was on anti anxiety meds... that's rational? To scream in your sleep?

Okie dokie...

Quote:
So in fact we have no way of guaranteeing the operators will stay safe and rational.
There are laws in place that when enforced guarantee we know which ones will stay safe and rational...

Quote:
So, remove the access of semi automatics to law abiding...
And expect criminals to obey the laws?

Please. Put down the wine and ambien... they don't mix well...

Old 01-28-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
According to the FBI 80-90% of murders and violent crime are committed by previously convicted felons...seems quite simple that to reduce violent crime 80-90% we should not allow prior violent felons loose again.
The problem is not the tool but rather the fool.
Unconstitutional and extremely expensive. Double the cost of the world's most expensive prison system?

you really think the rest of the western world has a lower percentage of bad guys then we do? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies