Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2018, 11:41 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,742,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What "security" is at a school?

We have actual cops here in SD but I haven't heard of that anywhere else. Must be a pretty crappy school to have one way in and a metal detector.
As mentioned by someone else, at schools in Israel. Not sure we're there yet either, but the question is more specifically related to what is best all considered? Gun free zones with security measures including armed security personnel or freely allowing anyone to carry wherever they like?

I was also pointing out how we are very likely to be going the way of Israel at our schools too, if the rate of gun violence continues in America as it seems determined to do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
State by state-look where the murders are happening...
Go further.
Who's in control of these cities? Democrats or Republicans.
What are those cities gun laws?
What are the states gun laws?

Trends don't define what is frequent and what isn't?
Yet... you previously stated on the basis of frequency and quantification to support your argument... now you are contradicting it?
You seem to keep assuming I am arguing where gun control is working more or less, but I'm not. I don't think there is a solution to the gun violence problem, and I'm about as confident in most gun control laws to prevent gun violence as I am that arguing one way or another in these threads will change anyone's mind about anything!

I'm not going to bother to go back and find where you made the comment about what is happening infrequently, but my point was only that for others the incidents of crime/violence are actually happening too frequently. Again simply a matter of perspective as you also pointed out before, and again trends don't establish frequency.

Absolute numbers are different from rates of change...

Old 01-31-2018, 11:48 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,144,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
As mentioned by someone else, at schools in Israel. Not sure we're there yet either, but the question is more specifically related to what is best all considered? Gun free zones with security measures including armed security personnel or freely allowing anyone to carry wherever they like?

I was also pointing out how we are very likely to be going the way of Israel at our schools too, if the rate of gun violence continues in America as it seems determined to do...
Gun violence has continually declined since 1993.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Wait a minute, I thought you said trends are irrelevant?
Please have mercy! I never made such a statement!

Really?

Or if I REALLY need to explain, trends are relevant if/when the subject is how things are going over time. Good, for example, if crime rates are trending down. Another matter entirely to suggest something is happening "infrequently" in terms of absolute numbers (as already explained). Never said trends are "irrelevant" in any case. Can't understand this distinction, then perhaps a math lesson is more appropriate for you next than another lesson on how to use a weapon.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Oh my, yet again the confusion with rates/trends. Confusion reigns!

That about research, when it comes to statistics, begins with an understanding of numbers and what they tell us.

You remind me of the guy who drowns crossing the river because he's told the average depth of the river is only waist deep...

Old 01-31-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
In thinking over the hypothetical it required some thought into the true capabilities of given firearms. What I ended up with out of that is that any firearm of any type is as equally terminally effective as another within certain performance parameters. At say 100 yards, a six or 8 shot 357 revolver can equal what an AR 15 can do in many situations.
Thanks, but I'm pretty well done with this hypothetical, and I'm not sure I have the interest for what adjustments you feel are further needed to your prior answer. Not sure any of it has changed my sense of what we've been discussing here anyway. Might be I'm pretty well done with this thread in general today after far more time than I bargained for here this morning, before even looking at the other threads I dabble with. Thinking to sign off and move on now...

Old 01-31-2018, 12:05 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,503,493 times
Quote:
Please have mercy! I never made such a statement!

Really?

Or if I REALLY need to explain, trends are relevant if/when the subject is how things are going over time. Good, for example, if crime rates are trending down. Another matter entirely to suggest something is happening "infrequently" in terms of absolute numbers (as already explained). Never said trends are "irrelevant" in any case. Can't understand this distinction, then perhaps a math lesson is more appropriate for you next than another lesson on how to use a weapon.
My math skills are just fine... firearm ownership is going up, concealed carry is going up, FBI UCR data shows the overall average going down, but when you address the specifics, again, same cities, same states, with the same plaguing problem, with strict gun laws... under democrat control...

I read your posts and can read between the lines.

You in particular are of the persuasion that gun free zones work... when they don't...

Hence the mentioning of you bringing the "Muh Childrunz" argument forward, and telling me to ask you what your opinion is. I don't need to ask, you make it blatantly obvious. Then again I can read between the lines.

You tried hard to get myself and others baited with your hypothetical napoleonic battle of 1000 357s vs 100 of insert weapon here.
That failed...

Old 01-31-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Gun violence has continually declined since 1993.
Last throw...

True, encouraging, of course, but the real question is whether we are satisfied with where we are and/or what level of decline we can achieve, as compared to crime rates in other countries for example...

Again, might be the number of child molestation cases has decreased among Catholic priests, but has the number decreased enough? If you get my drift...

Cheers!

Old 01-31-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
My math skills are just fine... firearm ownership is going up, concealed carry is going up, FBI UCR data shows the overall average going down, but when you address the specifics, again, same cities, same states, with the same plaguing problem, with strict gun laws... under democrat control...

I read your posts and can read between the lines.

You in particular are of the persuasion that gun free zones work... when they don't...

Hence the mentioning of you bringing the "Muh Childrunz" argument forward, and telling me to ask you what your opinion is. I don't need to ask, you make it blatantly obvious. Then again I can read between the lines.

You tried hard to get myself and others baited with your hypothetical napoleonic battle of 1000 357s vs 100 of insert weapon here.
That failed...
Ugh...

No doubt you can "read between the lines" far better than you can read or understand what I actually write, because "reading between the lines" is just another way of saying you can "put words in my mouth."

Have had quite my fill of that already this morning, so again, as you wish of course. I know the routine well enough by now...

Old 01-31-2018, 12:10 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,503,493 times
Quote:
Oh my, yet again the confusion with rates/trends. Confusion reigns!

That about research, when it comes to statistics, begins with an understanding of numbers and what they tell us.

You remind me of the guy who drowns crossing the river because he's told the average depth of the river is only waist deep...
Yes the numbers speak for themselves, firearms go up, crimes go down abroad, but in democrat held cities, with strict gun laws the statistics either remain the same or fluctuate slightly less or significantly more...

The numbers of children killed in a school, a gun free zone speak for themselves to the effectiveness of a gun free zone...

Oh good, I remind you of someone.

You don't remind me of anyone. What's that say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies