Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 02:50 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,099,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Just an FYI ... if your undies still have marks in them you aren't washing them properly.

A line of freshly laundered linens billowing in the breeze is a beautiful sight and I bet my sheets are fresher than your tumble dried ones will ever be.

I agree with that. Nothing beats the fresh smell and crispness of laundry hung outside in the sunshine and an added benefit is that sunshine can help to sterilize some types of harmful bacteria and fungi left in fabrics.

If there are stains in peoples' undies it means those people aren't properly attending to their own daily personal body cleanliness and hygiene and they probably smell like feces. And if there are skid marks and urine stains remaining in underwear after it's been washed it means there is still harmful fecal bacteria remaining in the clothing and those washed clothes are still going to stink like feces.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 03:10 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,153,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Yesterday I was reading rules for a marina I am thinking of moving to. Despite always having wet clothes to dry and high cost of electricity made by diesel power plants on an island with tons of solar energy, hanging anything to dry is banned.

I have been doing all my wash aboard by hand and hanging to dry. Should neighborhoods be allowed to force people to waste energy like this?

Really interesting question! I hope you'll sit down and write a letter to the administrators at the marina.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:28 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,603,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Hanging laundry in some congested residential areas, of course it can be a public safety issue. Certain ordinances forbid the placement of clotheslines in any place where the public or work crews or emergency response crews must be able to gain access without impediment.

Take for example an apartment complex where the apartments have no balconies but there are fire escape stairs on the exterior of the building. It's against the law to hang laundry or place flower boxes or anything else on them because they are a safety hazard to residents escaping or to firemen or other emergency crews who need to gain access via the fire escape.

Or say you have properties and buildings that have an alley or pedestrian lane-way between them, you can't erect a clothes line up across the alley between properties for a number of reasons. It would be a hazard to emergency response crews or work crews and their equipment and it would also be a way of transmitting fire from one burning building to others.

Some marinas are congested enough that there would be prohibitions against having things hanging up that would be a hazard and impediment to access in an emergency, or that can spread fire quickly, or that could potentially hide from clear view any trespassing criminals, thieves, arsonists, vandals that come onto the property.

There's a right place and a wrong place for people to be hanging their sheets and towels and tighty whiteys. People need to also think about general safety or public endangerment issues instead of only thinking about their own individual personal conveniences as being their human right that they think is more important than anybody else's human rights to safety of life and limb.

I asked the same question, but I was talking about in the back yards of houses, not apartment complexes. There are lots of things you can't do in an apartment that you can do if you own your house. The placement of grills is usually regulated in an apartment, for example, not on a balcony. I cannot think of a single legitimate reason to prohibit clotheslines in the middle of a private back yard.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:38 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,974,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I agree with that. Nothing beats the fresh smell and crispness of laundry hung outside in the sunshine and an added benefit is that sunshine can help to sterilize some types of harmful bacteria and fungi left in fabrics.

If there are stains in peoples' undies it means those people aren't properly attending to their own daily personal body cleanliness and hygiene and they probably smell like feces. And if there are skid marks and urine stains remaining in underwear after it's been washed it means there is still harmful fecal bacteria remaining in the clothing and those washed clothes are still going to stink like feces.

You seem to know a lot about skid marks.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:03 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,808,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
They don't allow folks to hang up wet suits and life jackets to dry out?

Where are you supposed to dry them? Surely, not in a automatic dryer?
The rule was something to the effect:

Nothing could be hung up to dry within public view.

I took that to mean nothing.

Come to think of it. After sailing how do I wash and hang my sails to dry.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Clean laundry doesn't include soiled under garments.

Besides, who wears them? I change my shorts every day and go commando.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:08 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,608,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
If I hung my clothes outside, they'd be stolen

Just don't hang your bondage and domination gear outside and you'll be okay.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:14 PM

934 posts, read 404,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Just don't hang your bondage and domination gear outside and you'll be okay.
And you, Sir, win the Internets today!

Old 10-03-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Clean laundry doesn't include soiled under garments.

Besides, who wears them? I change my shorts every day and go commando.

Regarding laundry being a safety concern. I have never heard of laundry catching fire when air dried. How many laundry room fires have burned down houses?

Wait I can check that:

"According to the U.S.*Fire*Administration, an estimated 2,900 clothes dryer*fires*are reported*each year"

Source: StateFarm

I bet the number of fires caused by air drying clothes is close to 0.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:19 PM

I think I really won the debate that air drying clothes is not a safety concern versus using dryers.

Found another fact

NFPA - Dryers and washing machines

www.nfpa.org › safety-in-the-home › dr...

In 2010-2014, U.S. municipal fire departments responded to an estimated 15,970 home fires involving clothes dryers or washing machines each year. These fires resulted in annual losses estimated at 13 civilian deaths, 440 civilian injuries, and $238 million in direct property damage.

Come to think of it at a Marina people have to run generators many times to keep up with energy demand of dryer. So boaters are even at more risk when it comes to dryers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies