Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 06:54 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
whos responsibility is to have at least 30 days of water and food supply in your home, especially when you live in a tropical Carribean island that gets constantly hurricanes and tropical storms for centuries?

whos responsibility is it to have at least a small generator in your house when the Power GRIDs in Puerto Rico are in bad shape for the past 40 years and any small wind and rain will knock out power?

is that your responsibility or the government?

I don't live on an island and I have 3 months worth of water, food and other emergency supplies in my basement, I will be damn if I have to put my life in the hands of politicians, especially the crooked ones in Puerto Rico.

If I hear that a hurricane category 5 is coming to my house, you damn sure I will be ready with water and food supply for my family, that's my job as head of the household.
In Houston, it was gov't and charitable donations. Truckloads of water delivered to houston and also to areas East like Port Arthur. Shelters, help from other states and the Feds. I guess the videos of all the people helping out are, in your world-view, fake news?

You choose to be selective in your comments and opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 08:46 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Well, perceptions differ depending on where you are. Immediately after Irma, I felt the response was good in terms of initial aid and had little complaints with the Trump administration. But the USVI is smaller...

However, I disagreed with Trump's reaction to Puerto Rico. His inability to understand the desperation of human beings after a natural disaster was unexcusable. Puerto Rico is large and the level of damage varies. So whether people have received adequate aid will depend on their location.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:55 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Contrary to the narrative in the propaganda media...

Puerto Rican Delegate: Trump Has Given Everything We've Asked For Regarding Hurricane Relief

Contrary to popular belief, President Trump did not drop the ball in Puerto Rico. Bloomberg did an extensive interview with retired Navy Captain Jerry Hendrix, who is now with the Center for a New American Security, who said there were anticipatory steps that were taken which are not being recognized. He also noted that it’s not like Puerto Rico is close to the U.S. moreover, any reconstruction effort is going to take time since the island’s power grid and infrastructure were in disrepair. Could things be better? Yes—but this notion of Puerto Rico being Trump’s Katrina is just wrong. Even worse is the liberal media’s spreading of fake news during the recovery effort.

The Puerto Rican governor, Ricardo Rossello, a Democrat, said he’s been in constant contact with the White House and resources have been made available. On October 14, the island’s nonvoting delegate, Jenniffer Gonzalez-Colon, said in an interview with USA Today that everything they’ve asked for, Trump has delivered.

Text of a portion of the interview is at the link. CBS Interview is below from 9/27.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iw06HOXsvg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgydHIkiGS4
What is the point you are making other than saying in so many words, its ok... its working. Considering the challenges yes, they are functioning to try and get basics, but for devastation that massive..... its not even close to what it will take, to have tied the needs it in with existing funding for disaster. This has to be thought-out and worked out for the long term and the redevelopment that is needed. How or If that will shape up, who knows... The best thing Trump said was that there might be need to forgive past debt in the process. (that did not get much traction), but on that point, he may be right, (then... aside from the Federal Gov, who will "re-fund redevelopment?, certainly not the banks that may have to write off the loans and cancel the bonds) ?????

Therefore, I'd say:
They need a type of Infusion of Redevelopment Support like a "Marshall Plan"... or something akin to a "New Deal" for that region.
(There are challenges of many sorts, with the unpredictability of the weather and the time it will take to achieve such, who knows what next hurricane season may bring, and then there is a matter of how to you re-industrialize the Puerto Rico in away that it can function and maintain in stability with managed growth? )

It's not enough to go there and string power lines and over lay some dirt with asphalt. Either build sustainable and durable infrastructure and housing, which would mean, steel beams and other material reinforcement structures, that span across the impacted areas.

Right now, its a feed and watering program, (which is needed) and trying to get power. But we are talking about a system that needs a complete "rebuild".... It is not likely we are up to that task. Not there, not in Houston Area and Not in Florida and other areas that are susceptible to future weather issues.

My issue with Trump is exactly what I wrote in the previous post. Denigrating their system and the run down condition and talking about their debt.. is not beneficial to what is urgent in this situations. No one blamed Trump for their behind the times infrastructure and their economic condition... that has existed long before Trump, Obama, Bush and Clinton.... It goes back to what we "did not do" when we were the Post World War II dominant power nations with every means of Industrial Capacity and vast production generated wealth. We neglected much... in many places...
Trumps mouth is the issue. No he did not want to be blamed for their situation, but that is not how you respond, some things "you side step" and work your plan.... he should have side stepped and kept his mouth shut and work his plan... if he has one.
Quote:
At no time should any President get in a word battle with a devastated people - one thing President Bush did not do, was engage in "talk down" to the people who were enraged with the devastation's during and after Katrina.... Bush, had more dignity than to be of such vile disregard and lack of empathy, he did not show a image as President of one who was belligerently void of compassion. New Orleans had many impoverished people, but Bush did not go into a cycle of talking down to the people and whining and crying about money and insulting the people when they were at their lowest. I've seen the devastated terrain and the difficulty of navigation, but when such exist, we don't make big issue with what we know, we work on how to deal with it, and how to get the resources we need to where we need them.
The General that worked Katrina, said it was a poor performance and he is well aware of the challenges within the arena.
All focus should have been on these areas of major disaster, not about some football players and trying to dictate some fake morality, that is not evident in the general demeanor of Trump and never has been.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 10-18-2017 at 09:32 AM..

Old 10-18-2017, 09:02 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
2 more co workers left for PR last night -- everyday is better-- but a lot are coming into Kissimmee/Orlando area -

Central Florida braces for tens of thousands of Puerto Ricans fleeing ravaged island

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...urricane-maria

It is said that as many as ten thousand residents have already left since planes began flying again in the past two weeks

Old 10-18-2017, 09:03 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
whos responsibility is to have at least 30 days of water and food supply in your home, especially when you live in a tropical Carribean island that gets constantly hurricanes and tropical storms for centuries?

whos responsibility is it to have at least a small generator in your house when the Power GRIDs in Puerto Rico are in bad shape for the past 40 years and any small wind and rain will knock out power?

I don't live on an island and I have 3 months worth of water, food and other emergency supplies in my basement, I will be damn if I have to put my life in the hands of politicians, especially the crooked ones in Puerto Rico.

If I hear that a hurricane category 5 is coming to my house, you damn sure I will be ready with water and food supply for my family, that's my job as head of the household.

Interesting that some people who leave the Caribbean purposely erase the realities of life here. Like many places in the world, a number of people struggle to put food on the table daily. Their inability to have 3 months of food does not mean innocent children should starve or have unclean water or no water at all.

Further, having 3 months of food and water can be easily gone when a cyclone destroys your home. It happened with Irma and Maria. If a hurricane can pick up cars, roofs and trailers, don't you think it can throw food across the island? Hell, a whole cistern was sitting on the main road to my old place after Irma. Those people were prepared with water. That didn't matter.

People don't have basements in the Caribbean for obvious reasons.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
2 more co workers left for PR last night -- everyday is better-- but a lot are coming into Kissimmee/Orlando area -

Central Florida braces for tens of thousands of Puerto Ricans fleeing ravaged island

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...urricane-maria

It is said that as many as ten thousand residents have already left since planes began flying again in the past two weeks
Don't know how that will play out, because they can't "ban travel for Puerto Rico, as it is a US Territory... it is quite likely many people will gravitate to other states, where they may have friends and family or see opportunity.

Again, I say they need something like a "Marshall Plan", it will help rebuild, give people work, and the end result is a re built areas, if they do so... for "sustainability" in housing and infrastructure design and construction. They could be working for years with stable work, in rebuilding, it may inspire a re circulation of resources that help them build and establish sustainable business and commerce far and beyond into the future... but.. such a massive undertaking... requires "good honest oversight".....

Old 10-18-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:

So you have stack of water in the corner bbq pit- cooler and batteries,,, oh SHYTE the rain just slid part of the house down the mountain --the side with the water--
coulda and shoulda make NO sense of the real world -

I absolutely detest this kind of thinking- please all of same thinkers get back in your caves where have to see NO ONE or nothing--and can live in your fantasy lives where no harm ever comes that you can't handle

Old 10-18-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Don't know how that will play out, because they can't "ban travel for Puerto Rico, as it is a US Territory... it is quite likely many people will gravitate to other states, where they may have friends and family or see opportunity.

Again, I say they need something like a "Marshall Plan", it will help rebuild, give people work, and the end result is a re built areas, if they do so... for "sustainability" in housing and infrastructure design and construction. They could be working for years with stable work, in rebuilding, it may inspire a re circulation of resources that help them build and establish sustainable business and commerce far and beyond into the future... but.. such a massive undertaking... requires "good honest oversight".....

Personally needs to become a state and most P Ricans would rather be there than here- I never been but trust me I'll take an island any day. It matters not who is in control - really-you will ALWAYS have thieves in the midst. see how military misplaces millions of dollars? or FLINT and their water problems etc etc
UTOPIA does not exist.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:25 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
No one said PR was in great shape. They said they are getting what they ask for. Is the truth that hard for you to grasp?
It's called never allowing anything good to be said about Trump. If a lib does encounter a true statement or fact that reflects positively on trump, they immediately try to deflect to a negative. If all else fails, they'll reference the Billy Bush Access Hollywood, hidden video tape.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Personally needs to become a state and most P Ricans would rather be there than here- I never been but trust me I'll take an island any day. It matters not who is in control - really-you will ALWAYS have thieves in the midst. see how military misplaces millions of dollars? or FLINT and their water problems etc etc
UTOPIA does not exist.
No Utopia.... we live in a time when we have "massive computing capabilities"... and we actually have smart people who can design software to track and manage anything monetary and materially produced, distributed, and consumed... but.. will politicians get out of they way and support such programming to be utilized.

Accountability, for some politicians is not profitable... and that is something the voters must be mindful, so the next generation of politicians will be selected differently. When we use the tech we have, we can back off of allowing politicians to make "shoot from the hip" and "let's scratch each others balls" and they can be forced to base their decisions on "well calculated data" that is made openly available to the voting public.

We have seen nothing yet, as to how computers changed the world, the next phase will change it even more so, because "information" is power, and when that power is available to the people, They then have something to base holding politicians accountable..

currently we play charades... of let's spin this way or that and see what churns up... That type of system is too costly, too damaging and we've seen too much history of malice... When the people are given accessible data.. then we have means to change how things are done and what is to be done and to see to it being done.

Sadly... that may even be a decade or two away.... but; the youth of today, are raised with data usage, and they rely on it... in a vastly different way, and far more ways than those of us born in the past 70 yrs.

We may be forced to adopt the usage of this tech even sooner than we think.....

Last edited by Chance and Change; 10-18-2017 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies