Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 04:07 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,800,352 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I was reading rules for a marina I am thinking of moving to. Despite always having wet clothes to dry and high cost of electricity made by diesel power plants on an island with tons of solar energy, hanging anything to dry is banned.

I have been doing all my wash aboard by hand and hanging to dry.

Should neighborhoods be allowed to force people to waste energy like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 04:11 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Yesterday I was reading rules for a marina I am thinking of moving to. Despite always having wet clothes to dry and high cost of electricity made by diesel power plants on an island with tons of solar energy, hanging anything to dry is banned.

What would be the purpose of this ban? Seems like the stupidest law ever created, next to the old bans on interracial marriage

Old 10-02-2017, 04:12 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:

I guess some idiot doesn't want to see your drawers?

Do it anyway.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:13 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
If I hung my clothes outside, they'd be stolen

Old 10-02-2017, 04:29 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
If I hung my clothes outside, they'd be stolen
Where do you live?

Old 10-02-2017, 04:32 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
We can thank all the HOA's for that. I still hang up a ton of laundry - I just have to do it in my laundry room as opposed to outside.

Doesn't dry as fast.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:36 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Again we create these 'monsters' to hate -- those HOA's - it's all THEIR fault.

What are HOA's -- your neighbors. Your neighbors don't want to live in a community where people hang stuff up outside to dry.

It's us people that don't want to see laundry hanging outside -- lol.

I know -- it's a pain. I don't have a clothes line but I still have a clothes rack that I place outside on my small masterbedroom balcony to dry clothes -- sssssshhhhh -- don't tell anybody. Lucky for me there is no one behind me to see it.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:37 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
HOAs seem to frequently have an outside laundry ban in my parts. Maybe they think it makes things look messy?

When I lived in an apartment, I strung some clothes up on my balcony on a large-ish drying rack and got cited by the apartment management for it. I do realize it would look pretty messy if everyone did it - but having just moved to the U.S at the time (from a country where everyone hangs their laundry out) it never even occurred to me.

It seems that HOAs and some apartment complexes want to keep things looking pristine.

Where I live now doesn't have a ban, or if they do, it isn't enforced.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:48 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:

Its the marina's property, they get to make the rules. And since you dont have to rent there, you arent being "forced" into anything.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:53 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:

Yesterday I was reading rules for a marina I am thinking of moving to. ....... hanging anything to dry is banned. ........ Should neighborhoods be allowed to force people to waste energy like this?

Is there a laundromat facility on the property? Is the marina a privately owned and operated business that rents out docking space from their own waterfront property? ...... or is the marina owned and operated by the city? Who makes up the rules for the marina? If it's a privately owned marina the owners are within their rights to institute rules that might ban a number of practices and activities that aren't suitable or safe for the facility or that lower the property values of the facility.

I think in some residential locations it's necessary to institute an no outdoor laundry drying ban for public safety and property safety reasons, and in other locations it should be okay. Like for example it should be okay in a residential neighbourhood with all houses and yards, where a house has a laundry line or drying rack out in their fenced back yard where it doesn't pose a hazard and isn't visible to the public from the street.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies