Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 09:50 AM

29,500 posts, read 14,656,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
From the PDF:

You cannot determine gun ownership rates from gun sales anymore than you can determine car ownership rates from car sales or ownership rates of anything based on sales of the same. It could simply be because fewer people are buying more cars and guns, buying or replacing them more frequently, or a whole host of other reasons.
Sigh....
Believe what you want.

How is this. You only need one CPL, and each one of those needs a firearm....

Demand soars for concealed carry permits, data shows | Fox News

Old 10-04-2017, 09:50 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
This reinforces my point about small # of people owning or buying lots of guns.

Gun inequality: US study charts rise of hardcore super owners
Quote:
Americans own an estimated 265m guns, more than one gun for every American adult, according to the most definitive portrait of US gun ownership in two decades. But the new survey estimates that 133m of these guns are concentrated in the hands of just 3% of American adults – a group of super-owners who have amassed an average of 17 guns each.

The unpublished Harvard/Northeastern survey result summary, obtained exclusively by the Guardian and the Trace, estimates that America’s gun stock has increased by 70m guns since 1994. At the same time, the percentage of Americans who own guns decreased slightly from 25% to 22%.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:51 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I'm 72, have traveled all over the country, and never felt the need to be packing heat. I have guns at home, but they have dust on them.

I think it is false security in a lot of cases to be carrying a gun. There have been countless experiments, where people were put to the test, and the average citizen freezes and never gets to use that weapon. Sure, there are exceptions, but I think a lot of these gun toters are fooling themselves. I'm a pretty good shot, but I bet I would have trouble reacting in a really tough situation.
I think you may be right, I see many folks who have their conceal carry license, but instead of concealing it, they like to prominently display the holster on their hip, Ive seen few of them wear their shirts in specific ways, so the gun and holster can be clearly seen, it seems they really like other people to see them carrying a gun, but I would bet 9 times out of 10 if they suddenly found themselves in a deadly situation, most of them would be too frozen to pull it out.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:52 AM

29,500 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
This reinforces my point about small # of people owning or buying lots of guns.

Gun inequality: US study charts rise of hardcore super owners

See my above post...again believe what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I am anonymous here.
And the surveys asking people if they own guns are also anonymous.

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Quote:
Speaking of fact, it is a fact that the US's gun ownership rate has been falling for decades.

Gun Ownership Statistics by State - Demographic Data

Now, what was that you said about gun ownership and murder rates?

Well when the Government puts more burden and costs on the casual shooter and the cost of supplies associated with firearms goes up not to mention that places to go shooting and hunting are drying up due to urban and suburban sprawl plus you add in the negative stereotypes that are spun about gun owners then I'm not surprised that there has been a decline in legal gun ownership.

The shooting sports are still alive and well in some parts of the country but the growing Liberal hot spots such as DC, NYC, California, MA. Chicago and others are making enough noise that they are swaying people away from the very freedom of owning guns and instead is making people think that they are in better hands with the Government looking out for them.

The freedom to Own Guns is as American as Baseball and Apple Pie but with the current state of the Democrat party would we really want to see groups they support like BLM or Antifa armed?
Some people can't be allowed to own guns.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:53 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Sigh....
Believe what you want.

How is this. You only need one CPL, and each one of those needs a firearm....

Demand soars for concealed carry permits, data shows | Fox News

The liberal/progressive narrative has to be that fewer Americans are owning guns. It is an attempt to show it is less popular, and therefore our right to keep and bear arms is less important, and less popular. Do a google search, and you will see the same narrative, from all the mainstream media outlets.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:53 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Interesting, NICS background check data base shows differently. And I'm not buying the BS that it is all previous owners doing the buying.

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/..._year.pdf/view

May 2017 Sets Gun Sales Record
Yep, first time buyers

In 2017 women and minorities are buying guns. Here's why | Fox News

Old 10-04-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
See my above post...again believe what you want.
And speaking of believing what one wants to believe, you don't want to believe the surveys on gun ownership so you make up excuses to reject them.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:57 AM

18,742 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Why do rural and suburban white gun owners think if they don't have their gun on them, they're going to be attacked?

Yet another thread that starts, "Why is it true that....", followed by some silly fib about white people or conservatives or whatever target the sick liberals chose to attack today?

You people must have been losing a LOT of debates recently. Stooping to this kind of useless propaganda, so frequently, is low even for you.

But I guess it's all you have left.

Last edited by Roboteer; 10-04-2017 at 11:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies