Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 06:10 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

Many Americans are still afraid of talking about sex. The comments in this thread are proof of that. They'd rather have their children learn nothing about sexuality.

As for teaching kids on their own? That's like saying parents should teach their kids algebra.

At the very least, school libraries should have age-appropriate human sexuality books available for the kids who are interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 06:54 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Do you think a private school will insulate them from the world around them? What happens when they finish school?

By the way I'm male and went to both private and public high schools, and by far the randiest girls were in the private schools....Why do you suppose that was?
^^^^^ Why am I hearing Billy Joel singing the song 'Only the Good Die Young' in my head ?

Old 10-10-2017, 08:21 PM

52 posts, read 56,992 times
No one has taken a second to consider the suicide rates among LGB youth as a factor for this education. Suicide is actually the 2nd highest cause of death for children ages 10-24. LGB youth are three times more likely to commit suicide.

Someone up thread also stated it's only .02% of the population that identify as LGBTQ. This stat is wrong, as it is nearly 4% of the population. The age bracket of people born between 1980 and 1998 is much higher at 7.3%.

I don't see anything at all wrong with teaching 6th grade children the meaning of these words. Many a life could be saved by a child being able to put the proper word to what they or their friends are feeling and knowing there are other people just like them in the world.

Btw...my child was in the 5th grade when she taught me and her older sister (21 yrs old), the different pronouns various gender identities may prefer to be called, and the definitions of all those vocab words. Her school did not have a class on it.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:24 PM

1,149 posts, read 935,060 times
Yeah, that's ****ed up.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:44 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Oh please. This is just another indoctrinated liberalism version of school curriculum designed to confuse the youth about a self identity issue that shouldn't even exist at this age.
If being sexually educated means "liberalism" than I'm all for it.
At what age do you consider age appropriate to discuss these issues? At the age of 12 I was in a sex ed class learning about STD's (trust me after watching some of those slides about STD's sex was a turn off!), human sexual anatomy and drawing penises and vaginas in a biological sense and my science teachers were even nice enough to include a discussion of emotions when sexually interacting with another human being!

Kids pretty much know their sexual identity at a early age but puritanical society surpresses those thoughts.
It's funny how the largest teen pregnancy rates in the US are all in conservative states.
By the way sexual identity doesn't mean sexual preference.

Last edited by Bobdreamz; 10-11-2017 at 03:54 AM..

Old 10-11-2017, 03:58 AM

10,464 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
If being sexually educated means "liberalism" than I'm all for it.
At what age do you consider age appropriate to discuss these issues? At the age of 12 I was in a sex ed class learning about STD's (trust me after watching some of those slides about STD's sex was a turn off!), human sexual anatomy and drawing penises and vaginas in a biological sense and my science teachers were even nice enough to include a discussion of emotions when sexually interacting with another human being!

Kids pretty much know their sexual identity at a early age but puritanical society surpresses those thoughts.
It's funny how the largest teen pregnancy rates in the US are all in conservative states.
You got stats to back that up? I also want to know the cities that have the highest rate of teenage pregnancy. I bet that has a lot to do with it.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:54 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
You got stats to back that up? I also want to know the cities that have the highest rate of teenage pregnancy. I bet that has a lot to do with it.
Here you go. The states with the highest rates (in 2014) are Arkansas, Alabama, and Mississippi - not exactly the most urbanized populations.

https://www.hhs.gov/ash/oah/adolesce...nds/index.html

In general, rural areas have higher teen pregnancy rates than urban areas.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...lysis/1928727/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies