Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 04:30 PM

1,194 posts, read 726,003 times

Advertisements

California Governor Jerry Brown, the Moonbat's Moonbat, just signed into law, “It shall be unlawful for a long-term care facility or facility staff to take any of the following actions wholly or partially on the basis of a person’s actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) status.” So, if you consistently refer to a self-identified "He" as a "She," you could go to jail for a year.

"Show me a liberal and i'll eventually scratch you out a fascist wanting to get out"!!!

New California law allows jail time for using wrong gender pronoun, sponsor denies that would happen | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 04:38 PM

16,551 posts, read 8,589,183 times
Not to mention mentally unstable.

I will never call Bruce Jenner "she", because he is and always will be a biological man. Sure he changed his name, so I guess some people might choose to call him Katelyn or whatever he calls himself.

But to think Gov Moonbeam or anyone else can imprison you unless you agree to play make believe will never pass Constitutional muster.

`

Old 10-11-2017, 04:46 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,633,384 times
seems after repeatedly failing to stop this bill the rightwing nuts have taken to a new lie... ie use the wrong pronoun and go to jail....

here is the real deal.. jail would only be possible if the offense risked the LIFE of the person/ real physical harm.....

Claims mislead about California forcing jail time for using wrong transgender pronoun | PolitiFact California

Quote:
Courtney Joslin, a UC Davis law professor, said the bar for criminal prosecution would be extremely high.

"The bill is very, very clear that what is prohibited is the willful engagement and repeated engagement in discriminatory conduct against LGBT seniors. So, if someone makes a mistake or doesn’t know what a person’s gender identity is and uses the incorrect pronoun that is not a violation of the statute," Joslin said.

Willful and repeated violations alone wouldn’t lead to criminal prosecution, Joslin added. They would likely be punished with a fine.

Criminal charges would only follow, she said, if the violation reached a level that was shown to cause the risk of death or serious physical harm, in accordance with state’s existing penalty structure for health and safety code violations at long-term care centers.

seems to me people on the right are willing to misstate, twist the truth and lie in order to smear the left.

we see it day after day. Fox has made billions priming these rightwing fools and goading them into voting against their own interests. it is a simple trick but it has worked on these low information right wingers for decades. they vote themselves into poverty and they cry about their poverty..

Old 10-11-2017, 04:53 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
California Governor Jerry Brown, the Moonbat's Moonbat, just signed into law, “It shall be unlawful for a long-term care facility or facility staff to take any of the following actions wholly or partially on the basis of a person’s actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) status.” So, if you consistently refer to a self-identified "He" as a "She," you could go to jail for a year.

"Show me a liberal and i'll eventually scratch you out a fascist wanting to get out"!!!

New California law allows jail time for using wrong gender pronoun, sponsor denies that would happen | Fox News

Lol "confused" people can't beckon others into their pretend world, and make it illegal to use the correct pronoun.

And we don't need this bill's loopy sponsor to assure us that we won't be going to jail.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:36 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,906,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post

You're not really understanding the words here.

It is saying that you can't discriminate someone based on gender, sexual orientation, or HIV status.

It is not saying that you if you incorrectly call someone a "he" when they identify as a "she" that you will go to jail. It IS saying that if you discriminate them because of that, you can face consequences. Just like if you discriminate someone else for other reasons (such as race).

Understand?

Old 10-11-2017, 05:41 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 23 days ago)

27,636 posts, read 16,118,635 times
So, if you call a he dressed like a she a he, you will be fined. Cray cray

Old 10-11-2017, 06:41 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
You're not really understanding the words here.

It is saying that you can't discriminate someone based on gender, sexual orientation, or HIV status.

It is not saying that you if you incorrectly call someone a "he" when they identify as a "she" that you will go to jail. It IS saying that if you discriminate them because of that, you can face consequences. Just like if you discriminate someone else for other reasons (such as race).

Understand?
Actually, it does.

Provision of bill relating to wrong pronoun use:
Quote:
(5) Willfully and repeatedly fail to use a resident’s preferred name or pronouns after being clearly informed of the preferred name or pronouns.
The possible punishments, specified by the parent laws (Section 1417 the "Long-Term Care, Health, Safety, and Security Act of 1973"/provisions in Chapter 2.4 of the Health and Safety Code):
Quote:
c) Any person who willfully or repeatedly violates this chapter or Chapter 2.4 (commencing with Section 1417), excluding Sections 1425 and 1432, or any rule or regulation adopted under this chapter, relating to the operation or maintenance of a long-term health care facility as defined in Section 1418, is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine not to exceed two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500) or by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not to exceed 180 days, or by both.
Yes, that covers the maximum penalty and there are guidelines to be considered:
Quote:
In determining the punishment to be imposed upon a conviction under this subdivision, the court shall consider all relevant facts, including, but not limited to, the following:

(1) Whether the violation exposed the patient to the risk of death or serious physical harm.

(2) Whether the violation had a direct or immediate relationship to the health, safety, or security of the patient.

(3) Evidence, if any, of willfulness.

(4) The number of repeated violations.

(5) The presence or absence of good faith efforts by the defendant to prevent the violation.

(d) For the purposes of this section, “willfully” or “willful” means the person doing an act or omitting to do an act intends the act or omission, and knows the relevant circumstances connected therewith.
So, while I agree that it is highly unlikely someone will go to jail over mixed up pronouns, it is still hypothetically possible. That is problematic.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:59 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,906,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Actually, it does.

Provision of bill relating to wrong pronoun use:

The possible punishments, specified by the parent laws (Section 1417 the "Long-Term Care, Health, Safety, and Security Act of 1973"/provisions in Chapter 2.4 of the Health and Safety Code):

Yes, that covers the maximum penalty and there are guidelines to be considered:
So, while I agree that it is highly unlikely someone will go to jail over mixed up pronouns, it is still hypothetically possible. That is problematic.
Hmm. I stand corrected on that.

This is worth highlighting:
Quote:
Wiener's office noted that violations for residential care facilities under existing law rarely resulted in criminal charges, especially for minor violations. Criminal penalties are meant more for violations that expose a patient to risk of death or serious harm, his office said.

Wiener’s office noted that the law “does not create any new criminal provisions,” but rather creates “new rights within an existing structure.”

Old 10-11-2017, 07:01 PM

10,451 posts, read 4,032,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Not to mention mentally unstable.

I will never call Bruce Jenner "she", because he is and always will be a biological man. Sure he changed his name, so I guess some people might choose to call him Katelyn or whatever he calls himself.

But to think Gov Moonbeam or anyone else can imprison you unless you agree to play make believe will never pass Constitutional muster.

`
This! I hope the Supreme court intervenes and has him removed from office and jailed. This is very dangerous ground to be walking on.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:15 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Hmm. I stand corrected on that.

This is worth highlighting:
Quote:
Wiener's office noted that violations for residential care facilities under existing law rarely resulted in criminal charges, especially for minor violations. Criminal penalties are meant more for violations that expose a patient to risk of death or serious harm, his office said.

Wiener’s office noted that the law “does not create any new criminal provisions,” but rather creates “new rights within an existing structure.”
Newspaper interviews do not trump written law, so whatever they claim is immaterial. They should have either created a separate law or not put criteria associated with speech in it. Like I said, very problematic and if the state tries to enforce it they will find themselves in a lawsuit they will lose. The nursing home can fire an employee for their words said on the job, the government can't do a thing about it unless it is dangerous. Being called by the wrong pronoun may hurt a person's feelings but it doesn't endanger them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies