Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 06:28 PM

478 posts, read 959,928 times

Advertisements

And more importantly, why does anyone believe one stinking word any politician, Republican or Democrat... has to say anymore? (Aside from one, of course - I won't mention his name... ahem.)

These are some of the most incredible times this country has ever seen... and... yet... most of America continues to sleep.

We are in the midst of quite probably the most horrible financial meltdown in the history of this country, certainly since the great depression, and the top talking point of Bill O'Reilly on Faux News this evening is Obama's pastor story. (I love to flick through the news channels... even Faux... if the situation in America weren't so horrible - what they do would be funny...)

And today, you have Dick Cheney in Iraq, declaring the Iraqi Invasion a "Successful Venture"... while the United States falls into deeper and deeper economic turmoil.

It all is just surreal. Beyond outrageous, beyond disgusting. It is like a total parallel universe experiement taking place.

A bit of advice for slumbering America: You have no idea what is coming.

And as I finish writing this, O'Reilly after his Obama tirade... leads into the next segment: "Paul McCartney's divorce settlement".

Buh-bye, America. It was nice knowing you. Before you got suckered by the Idiot Box... and the Idiot politicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 06:51 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,442,095 times
I agree. It would be interesting to put two different shows on the major networks during prime viewing hours and see which would get more viewers?
1. All the latest news about Brittney Spears
2. The status of the invasion of Iraq

I get my news from foreign (EU) news websites.

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-17-2008, 06:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
I think people do not understand that things are falling apart and won't understand it til they lose their jobs, their houses or go bankrupt.

A large portion of the workforce, as well as homeowners, are Gen X'ers who have no clue what an economic turndown even means.

Those of us born b/f 1960 have a clue what is coming but I think most of us feel like deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming 18-wheeler. We don't know what to do about the situation, except pay down debt, move investments to sectors that historically are more stable, try to hang on to our jobs . . .

I don't know that the media is to blame. Rather, there seems to be a cavalier attitude about purchasing power and extending debt - wh/ is something we citizens have done to ourselves. The media didn't "make" people buy houses they couldn't afford, cash out equity from those houses to buy home theater systems and BMWs. The problems start there.

Our taxes are gonna go up regardless of what candidate is elected this Fall. And that is not the fault of the media, either. That is a problem created by a trade deficit, an ongoing war, falling value of the dollar, etc.

Bears Stearns is a warning of more bad stuff to come. And none of that was caused by the media.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think people do not understand that things are falling apart and won't understand it til they lose their jobs, their houses or go bankrupt.

A large portion of the workforce, as well as homeowners, are Gen X'ers who have no clue what an economic turndown even means.

Those of us born b/f 1960 have a clue what is coming but I think most of us feel like deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming 18-wheeler. We don't know what to do about the situation, except pay down debt, move investments to sectors that historically are more stable, try to hang on to our jobs . . .

I don't know that the media is to blame. Rather, there seems to be a cavalier attitude about purchasing power and extending debt - wh/ is something we citizens have done to ourselves. The media didn't "make" people buy houses they couldn't afford, cash out equity from those houses to buy home theater systems and BMWs. The problems start there.

Our taxes are gonna go up regardless of what candidate is elected this Fall. And that is not the fault of the media, either. That is a problem created by a trade deficit, an ongoing war, falling value of the dollar, etc.

Bears Stearns is a warning of more bad stuff to come. And none of that was caused by the media.
None of it was caused by the media? I would beg to differ on that!!! They are accomplisess (sp) through all of this by not reporting THE TRUTH... or at least some semblance of the truth! Regardless, predictably, most of the media continues to ignore this all... as it gets worse. How can you expect them to tell us what is really going on.... when the people who own them are part of the big picture that's causing it? Ha ha... good luck on it all...

And... I cannot stop watching Faux News tonight. It is some of the most surreal television I have ever viewed in my life, in light of the current crisis.

On now to Hannity & Colmes - after Bill O'Reilly just spent 20 minutes with a "Body Language" expert on analyzing Barack Obama's pastor's physical demeanor during a speech of his! What kind of hideous use of the airways is this, considering the state of this country? And mind you, I am no Obama supporter - I could care less about him or Shillary - but it all is just ASTOUNDING. I have never seen such blatant yellow journalism in my life... deflecting from the issues at hand!!

And now they have on the one and only... Karl Rove... discussing the "Obama Controversy"!!!

Holy Freak Show, Batman!!!

It's all just a shame... shame, shame, shame.

Last edited by Berkshires413; 03-17-2008 at 07:27 PM..

Old 03-17-2008, 07:14 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,549,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshires413 View Post
And more importantly, why does anyone believe one stinking word any politician, Republican or Democrat... has to say anymore? (Aside from one, of course - I won't mention his name... ahem.)

These are some of the most incredible times this country has ever seen... and... yet... most of America continues to sleep.

We are in the midst of quite probably the most horrible financial meltdown in the history of this country, certainly since the great depression, and the top talking point of Bill O'Reilly on Faux News this evening is Obama's pastor story. (I love to flick through the news channels... even Faux... if the situation in America weren't so horrible - what they do would be funny...)

And today, you have Dick Cheney in Iraq, declaring the Iraqi Invasion a "Successful Venture"... while the United States falls into deeper and deeper economic turmoil.

It all is just surreal. Beyond outrageous, beyond disgusting. It is like a total parallel universe experiement taking place.

A bit of advice for slumbering America: You have no idea what is coming.

And as I finish writing this, O'Reilly after his Obama tirade... leads into the next segment: "Paul McCartney's divorce settlement".

Buh-bye, America. It was nice knowing you. Before you got suckered by the Idiot Box... and the Idiot politicians.
I think part of the problem is that we are not taught anymore how to think & reason for ourselves. We're told what to believe by unions, plaintiff attorneys, media... and then it's an easy jump to actually believing what we're told. I would also say it's because it's harder to really find the objective means of getting the real truth. We have become a nation of special interests groups. Add to that, politicians love to make scapegoats out of media, industry... and play it off against us and after a while most people allow it to sink in and become part of their way of thinking.

I mean, look at 85% of the posts here. Talk about sheep.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:18 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
None of it was caused by the media, yet most of the media continues to ignore it... as it gets worse.

I cannot stop watching Faux News tonight. It is some of the most surreal television I have ever viewed in my life, in light of the current crisis.

On now to Hannity & Colmes - after Bill O'Reilly just spent 20 minutes with a "Body Language" expert on analyzing Barack Obama's pastor's physical demeanor during a speech of his! What kind of hideous use of the airways is this, considering the state of this country? And mind you, I am no Obama supporter - I could care less about him or Shillary - but it all is just ASTOUNDING. I have never seen such blatant yellow journalism in my life... deflecting from the issues at hand!!

And now they have on the one and only... Karl Rove... discussing the "Obama Controversy"!!!

Holy Freak Show, Batman!!!

It's all just a shame... shame, shame, shame.
OH . . . as far as responsible reporting . . . yeah, I agree w/ that . . . I watch BBC when I can grab it to find out what is really going on in the world, LOL. And I read a lot.

Yeah - amazing there are real issues out there . . . and very little reporting (or analysis) addressing it all.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:27 PM

640 posts, read 461,784 times
Quote:
None of it was caused by the media, yet most of the media continues to ignore it... as it gets worse.

I cannot stop watching Faux News tonight. It is some of the most surreal television I have ever viewed in my life, in light of the current crisis.

Wait. You call it "Faux News" to emphasize to the readers you're deeming them false and/or fake newcasters, yet you seem SURPRISED that it isn't the content YOU think it should be???!!?? It's "Faux News" according to YOU, but you want them to air REAL NEWS??

And you don't care about Obama or Hillary?? Yet you call Hillary, Shillary?? Of course you care. You care enough to call her a name, just to emphasize to the readers that you DON'T care about her?? Riiiiiiiight.....

Since "FAUX NEWS" is so "blatantly" yellow and deflecting from REAL news, why not switch to one of those really, really good networks that are so unbiased and into the REAL news of the day, like NBC or ABC!

Old 03-17-2008, 07:34 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,882,428 times
I believe everything I hear and read, it makes me more selective

Old 03-17-2008, 07:38 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,549,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
I believe everything I hear and read, it makes me more selective
There ya go.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
Wait. You call it "Faux News" to emphasize to the readers you're deeming them false and/or fake newcasters, yet you seem SURPRISED that it isn't the content YOU think it should be???!!?? It's "Faux News" according to YOU, but you want them to air REAL NEWS??

And you don't care about Obama or Hillary?? Yet you call Hillary, Shillary?? Of course you care. You care enough to call her a name, just to emphasize to the readers that you DON'T care about her?? Riiiiiiiight.....

Since "FAUX NEWS" is so "blatantly" yellow and deflecting from REAL news, why not switch to one of those really, really good networks that are so unbiased and into the REAL news of the day, like NBC or ABC!
Honey,

You are, indeed, a member of the "nation". And I don't think it's just Sooner.

My point is simply we are facing a massive economic meltdown, and the above criticism of your favorite network is right on the money.

I think all of the news networks are a total sham. Some worse than others. And, yes, Faux is by far....... the worst. They are the most active - in the deception of the uniformed American public. I also said, I watch all the news networks - just as a I would watch a bad train wreck.

So... Go Faux Nation. Carry on with the delusion of it all.

PS: Yes, I care enough about Hilary to call her Shillary. Guess that went right over your head. Shocking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies