Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 01:10 PM

1,239 posts, read 510,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I really hope this is fake news. If this is real, it looks like they always end up hurting those people they shouldn't be hurting.

The tech guys are rarely political, well, generally speaking. Most of them are not racists, they are just very talented and creative people. Just because we cannot get the job lol, there is no reasons why we should be jealous about them. May the best survive and win.

What on earth are you talking about. The tech industry is heavily political, and if you deal with IT people regularly you would be fully aware that their creativity ends at different ways to offend women and minorities.

If you're so offended by this, you must be trembling at the thought that every single day, a Shaniqua or Jamaal is overlooked in the hiring process simply because they have a black sounding name.

If your goal is to be diverse, but you have a room filled with 10 people, and 8 of them are black, you can only increase diversity by adding people who are not black.
This isn't even the official job posting, this is an in-house call for referrals.

I disagree with the woman in that she should have made her decision once she looked at the resumes, as opposed to saying she didn't even want them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
From the article:

When they remove the "purportedly" then I will take it seriously. Until then just pure speculation. I hate when media outlets do that.
The link to the Daily Caller which has a screen grab of the email. We should assume it is real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 01:12 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
If no one you personally know said it, then no one ever said it?
Brilliant.
Walking around scared that you are discriminated against in tech is ridiculous. Heres a thought study hard in school and you will get hired at a tech company.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:13 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
They are looking to fill tech positions within their organizations. An email went out pointedly stating to do not forward to cisgender males, in other words straight white males. I wonder if the ACLU would take this case???

read on:

DNC: White men shouldn't apply for tech jobs | Fox News

The entire story sounds very dubious. And the fact that it's Fox News makes me thing there's a very good possibility it's fake.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:14 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
What on earth are you talking about. The tech industry is heavily political, and if you deal with IT people regularly you would be fully aware that their creativity ends at different ways to offend women and minorities.

If you're so offended by this, you must be trembling at the thought that every single day, a Shaniqua or Jamaal is overlooked in the hiring process simply because they have a black sounding name.

If your goal is to be diverse, but you have a room filled with 10 people, and 8 of them are black, you can only increase diversity by adding people who are not black.
This isn't even the official job posting, this is an in-house call for referrals.

I disagree with the woman in that she should have made her decision once she looked at the resumes, as opposed to saying she didn't even want them.
i have no ideas what you are talking about.

I've never said my goal is to be diverse.

My point is if white men are the best for the job, no one should be jealous about it.

Therefore: may the best survive and win.

Got it?

Old 11-01-2017, 01:18 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
so....its ok to discriminate? what if it were about black men?
how is there discrimination when there's already enough white males there?

Old 11-01-2017, 01:20 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
My white-as-the-driven-snow husband finds that South Asians outnumber whites in tech. I'm multiracial and have noticed the same.

It should be based on merit without regard to race, but you're talking about the DNC here - is it really a shocker? I'd be surprised if they didn't pull that nonsense.
It's getting to be that way in some companies here in DFW. Some teams are 90-100% south Asian. A lot of hiring managers won't look at your resume if you aren't south Asian and many south Asian recruiters in this area only forward resumes for other south Asian candidates.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:23 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
My white-as-the-driven-snow husband finds that South Asians outnumber whites in tech. I'm multiracial and have noticed the same.

It should be based on merit without regard to race, but you're talking about the DNC here - is it really a shocker? I'd be surprised if they didn't pull that nonsense.
I agree with your bold.

I've dated two software engineers. One is Chinese-American, the other one is white. I don't care what they do, I don't understand it anyway. lol Both companies have a lot of white men and Indian men, that is what I noticed. I don't care. As long as they are the best for the jobs, who cares?

Old 11-01-2017, 01:24 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza EL View Post
It's true about the high tech sectors are less diverse and dominated by white men.
As someone thats worked in tech since 1994, this is very true but how is this not blatantly racist, coming from the "tolerant" ones.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:25 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
how is there discrimination when there's already enough white males there?
It would be discrimination in the wording of the email that instructed them to do that. I work in government IT. I have had to retrieve emails from archive for EEO and Civil Rights complaints that contained the very same type of discrimination as what was supposedly written in that email. Those people were fired for it.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:26 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
As someone thats worked in tech since 1994, this is very true.
Not anymore. Indians are all the rage these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies