Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 09:23 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
People will still flock to the legal weed because, well, it is legal. The thought of not getting in trouble for buying it or using it will help drive the market. It has helped here in Colorado. Also the legal weed shops sell multiple strains which customers will swoon over. There will always be a black market as long as it is illegal on the federal level. Once that changes the black market most likely will disappear just like alcohol did a long time ago.
Having a variety always helps. That's what is learned from a free market. Just like how it's about the cost and quality of the product to the consumer. Product A is 200 an ounce while product B is 250 because of taxes.

The black market will always exist if there is money to be made and there will be as long as government regulations and taxes adds to the production cost of legal weed. Drug related violence as far as selling will go down. The big profit wont be such that gangs will risk life and limb to sell. So that's a plus.

Prohibition was over turned a long time ago, yet moonshiners stayed around. People go across state lines to save on taxes on alcohol and tobacco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 10:13 PM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Not everyone knows a weed dealer. I don't, so I would buy it legally.
Take up frisbee golf and that will be solved very very quickly once you get to know people. (not joking)

Old 11-02-2017, 11:03 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yea.....that's what they said would happen in CO too. Legalize it and the black market will disappear.....Well, it didn't.
Doesn't matter.

Colorado sold 995million of pot in 15 and 135 million Went to the state. That's a billion in weed sales that didn't go to the black market.

The estimated global black market cigarette trade is 11%.

I'll take 11% over 100%

Anything else to add?

Old 11-03-2017, 08:01 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Why would you say that? The only one at risk is the person selling it. NYC has what is probably the most expensive cigarettes in the country, something like $15 pack. As the tax has increased the revenue has declined and that ins;t becsue people stopped smoking. They either buying them somewhere else or on the black market

For example you can buy a bag of tobacco in PA for about $20 which is enough tobacco for about two cartons. Tubes for two cartons are going to cost you about $6.... total investment is $26. Using a basic machine that might cost you $30 once you could make two cartons in an hour and probably a lot more if you did it a lot and/or modified the machine. Even if you sold a pack of cigarettes for $6 you're making $100 an hour.
Peace of mind.

There is a black market for cigarettes? I had no idea. You have to desperate to smoke if you are going there.

Last edited by Timmyy; 11-03-2017 at 08:14 AM..

Old 11-03-2017, 08:13 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Having a variety always helps. That's what is learned from a free market. Just like how it's about the cost and quality of the product to the consumer. Product A is 200 an ounce while product B is 250 because of taxes.

The black market will always exist if there is money to be made and there will be as long as government regulations and taxes adds to the production cost of legal weed. Drug related violence as far as selling will go down. The big profit wont be such that gangs will risk life and limb to sell. So that's a plus.

Prohibition was over turned a long time ago, yet moonshiners stayed around. People go across state lines to save on taxes on alcohol and tobacco.
I completely agree with your second paragraph. The violence related to black market sales will all but disappear, that is if it gets legalized on the federal level.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:18 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Any product with ridiculously high taxes will help develop and sustain a black market. Weed is no different. But greedy politicians refuse to learn this basic economic principal.
----------
“High effective tax rates on California cannabis may complicate the state's efforts to establish legal markets,†said analysts Stephen Walsh and Karen Ribble in a Fitch Ratings report on California's marijuana taxes, according to CNN Money.

In other words, the state's onerous taxes on the legal marijuana industry could have the unintended side effect of protecting the black market at the expense law-abiding vendors.

Hypothetically, taxes on marijuana could reach as much as 45 percent, and taxes that high give the already established black market an edge, slowing the movement of consumers away from the illicit market to the legal market.

“Registering with the state and becoming compliant will cost about $100,000,â€

If You Thought Legalizing Pot Would Destroy the Black Market, Think Again
CA should have checked with NY first on high taxes. There's a thriving black market for cigarettes in NY because of high taxes.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Mexican drug lords are rubbing their hairy hands together. They are already making a killing in CO and they will in CA too.
that... doesn't make any sense to me.

Mexican drug lords make their money importing drugs from Latin America into the U.S., not distributing drugs around the U.S.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:28 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Why would you say that? The only one at risk is the person selling it. NYC has what is probably the most expensive cigarettes in the country, something like $15 pack. As the tax has increased the revenue has declined and that ins;t becsue people stopped smoking. They either buying them somewhere else or on the black market

For example you can buy a bag of tobacco in PA for about $20 which is enough tobacco for about two cartons. Tubes for two cartons are going to cost you about $6.... total investment is $26. Using a basic machine that might cost you $30 once you could make two cartons in an hour and probably a lot more if you did it a lot and/or modified the machine. Even if you sold a pack of cigarettes for $6 you're making $100 an hour.
Black market. People do runs to Virginia, load up their vehicles and sell cartons out of the back of their cars.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I tried distilling my own vodka a long time ago to save the costs of buying the stuff. The rotgut that came off my still was ok as shellac thinner but not at all drinkable. Cheap store bought booze was far better. I would expect to have the same success with home grown weed.

I am all in favor of selling various grades of weed, including the non hallucinogenic medical variety, in the same stores as we sell booze. Prices would be reasonable, quality assured and access controlled to "adults". I feel pretty much the same about most of the currently illegal drugs.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:46 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I tried distilling my own vodka a long time ago to save the costs of buying the stuff. The rotgut that came off my still was ok as shellac thinner but not at all drinkable. Cheap store bought booze was far better. I would expect to have the same success with home grown weed.
Nah, disagree, distilling and brewing are much more challenging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies