Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2017, 08:26 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times

Advertisements

Another AR 15 used to gun down innocent people. Enough already!! You can’t drive without a license why is it so much to ask people go through background checks and make sure they understand how to use a gun? Why is it asking to much to limit selling a gun like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 08:27 PM

20,864 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
So then they must be going down in Chicago too then, right?
I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

Quote:
Is it all the honest good citizens in Chicago that are shooting eachother at a catastrophic rate?
No, it's mostly the gang thugs. They just might have more beefs with each other the last few years than before, and so are shooting each other more.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:29 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Sure, every country has problems. But only THIS country has routine mass shootings like this. And there is only one reason for that.
No, it's not just one reason. The cause is far more complicated. Sure, the easy availability of guns is ONE cause. But another important cause is our atrocious lack of access to mental health care. Another is our political climate, which has fostered an attitude of division, hate, and alienation among Americans, worse than we've ever experienced before. The problem is very complex. Simply limiting access to guns alone will not solve it.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:30 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Another AR 15 used to gun down innocent people. Enough already!! You can’t drive without a license why is it so much to ask people go through background checks and make sure they understand how to use a gun? Why is it asking to much to limit selling a gun like this?
Seeing how it is being reported he had a dishonorable discharge from the air force for beating his wife...
He illegally obtained the weapon. I'm all ears for black market background checks...

Old 11-05-2017, 08:31 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Not sure the lack of access to mental health care or the lack of interest in making sure folks get care.

This shooter was discharged for bad conduct, etc. Was that the clue for officials to be made aware of mental health issues. Did they just choose not to address it? Did this guy try to get help or someone try to get help for him and he was denied it?

Old 11-05-2017, 08:32 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I don't know what you're smoking, but pretty much every survey has indicated gun ownership rates have gone down. I cited three right here.

And here's another, very comprehensive one. It is a FACT gun ownership rates are declining.
http://www.vpc.org/studies/ownership.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

No, it's mostly the gang thugs. They just might have more beefs with each other the last few years than before, and so are shooting each other more.
All there is is guns being shot everywhere on my land up north - basically EVERY homeowner/property owner up there has a gun...and funny thing is, they have NO gun-used murder problem up there.

Funny how that is.

It must be a cultural thing.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:34 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Seeing how it is being reported he had a dishonorable discharge from the air force for beating his wife...
He illegally obtained the weapon. I'm all ears for black market background checks...
I didn't know it was for spousal abuse that he was discharged.

They announced where he got the gun didn't they.

Whoever sold it to him should be criminally or civilly held responsible if he shouldn't have been allowed to own one.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:36 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I watched the news conference earlier this evening and found the description of what happened rather puzzling.

See first few seconds of the video of the news conference here: The Texas church massacre could have been worse if not for one man - CNN

The killer crossed the street to the church, exited his vehicle, and started firing at the church. Then he moved to the right side of the church and continued firing at the church. THEN AND ONLY THEN, did he enter the church and continue to fire.

I know nothing about guns and bullets, but how many people could he expect to kill by blindly shooting through the walls of the church? It doesn’t make sense. Why not enter the church first, before firing a shot?

The only answer I can come up with is that part of the man’s rage was directed at the church itself, what it represented, or perhaps was directed at church officials.
He killed two people outside the church, so I'm not sure he was firing at the church or firing at people he encountered on his way into the church.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:37 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Not sure the lack of access to mental health care or the lack of interest in making sure folks get care.

This shooter was discharged for bad conduct, etc. Was that the clue for officials to be made aware of mental health issues. Did they just choose not to address it? Did this guy try to get help or someone try to get help for him and he was denied it?
Most people that conduct themselves badly don't have a mental health issue. They are just bad people with a bad attitide. Even then, how many end shooting up a church?

Old 11-05-2017, 08:39 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I didn't know it was for spousal abuse that he was discharged.

They announced where he got the gun didn't they.

Whoever sold it to him should be criminally or civilly held responsible if he shouldn't have been allowed to own one.
I agree fully, however, that's a state law issue. There is nothing barring a private sale.

Hey I almost bought a Springfield armory 1911 from a woman a town away who was selling her "deceased husband's collection."

Told her I'd pay to do a 4473 at a gun store or pawn shop. Made all sorts of excuses to not.
Didn't sit right. Reported it. Turns out that pistol was reported stolen 2 years ago from a gun shop in Ohio. Other guns were missing serial numbers...

If I sell a gun, I will pay for the background check and 4473. I won't risk selling to a potential loon or felon or straw purchase. Once it's had a 4473 filled out, it's no longer my problem. Can't fall back on me. Whoever filled the 4473 out will be in deep chit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies