Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2017, 08:48 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
In Japan, one probably does not have to worry about their neighbor shooting them.

They might, however, have to worry about their neighbor committing suicide and accidently offing their neighbor in the process.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5102590/
Chemical Suicides, Popular in Japan, Are Increasing in the U.S. - The New York Times

The Japanese do not have the perfect answer.

The "good" thing is they have found how to do it without guns, right?

Apples and oranges.
The ole if it ain't perfect, why bother thing, eh.

There is no such thing as perfection.

The process used in Japan to weed out the whack jobs tends to be effective. It is unlikely most of those who engaged in a mass shooting in the US would have been able to legally own a firearm in Japan. A semi- automatic is the weapon of choice in the most spectacular mass shootings in the US. That would not be possible in Japan.

Not too challenging for a professional to poke the bear and observe how an applicant copes in a variety of situations.

The sister of yesterday's mass shooter said her brother was insane and prone to violent outbursts and never should have had access to a firearm. Assume this shooter legally acquired the firearms he used at some point in time. He was not required to demonstrate sanity, rationality or the ability to cope with life as is. Presumably, he was not a convicted felon when he acquired firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 08:52 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,468,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Yet its white people who are responsible for most of the mass shootings... The problem is easy access to guns trying to make it a race thing shows your hand.
People don`t seem to mind being gunned down by white people. The poor lad wasn`t taking his medications.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:56 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
People don`t seem to mind being gunned down by white people. The poor lad wasn`t taking his medications.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:03 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,118,049 times
Maybe this has been mentioned...I didn't read every page yet.

It's interesting that the headline is 307 out of 309 yet most of the shootings do NOT meet their own criteria of four dead...a lot of those show zero or one.

What a dishonest headline!

Old 11-15-2017, 09:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The U.S. has a cultural problem in our inner cities. That is where the vast majority of violent crime happens. Homogeneous societies like Japan can not be compared to the U.S. Solve our cultural city problems, and solve most of the violent crime. Until politicians are willing to do something about that we will continue to have violent crime.
Japan and the US have similar poverty levels.

Firearms are very much a part of the US culture, regardless of geography.

Urban areas are more populous and tend to have more everything, good, bad and otherwise.

The 2 most recent spectacular mass shootings occured in rural areas where firearms are far more common than most urban areas, legal or otherwise.

I choose to not own a firearm. If I lived in a rural area I would be more inclined to do so.

I have never been detained, arrested or charged with a crime. I have never had a moving violation or even a parking ticket. I accept personal responsibility to control the only thing I can- my reactions. And yet, it troubles me that I could easily qualify to buy and posess an unlimited number of firearms, including semi- automatic weapons if I chose to do so.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:52 AM

1,704 posts, read 748,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
California did just that, as we see from yesterday's shooting it did not help.
We've only just begun!

Old 11-15-2017, 10:07 AM

1,704 posts, read 748,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The U.S. has a cultural problem in our inner cities. That is where the vast majority of violent crime happens. Homogeneous societies like Japan can not be compared to the U.S. Solve our cultural city problems, and solve most of the violent crime. Until politicians are willing to do something about that we will continue to have violent crime.
The US has always had a cultural problem. The main sources of that problem have always been greed and moral depravity. From the mass genocide of the Native American, African-American slavery, the annexation of Mexico, and the now current American security sacrifice for NRA advocated arms profits via gun ownership proliferation.

Talk about violent crime! Just think about the annihilation of Native American, the pervasive killing of Africans, and the indiscriminate attacks upon Mexicans throughout history.

Yeah! We've got a cultural problem alright. We've always had a problem. Its in our DNA!

Old 11-15-2017, 02:51 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
The US has always had a cultural problem. The main sources of that problem have always been greed and moral depravity. From the mass genocide of the Native American, African-American slavery, the annexation of Mexico, and the now current American security sacrifice for NRA advocated arms profits via gun ownership proliferation.

Talk about violent crime! Just think about the annihilation of Native American, the pervasive killing of Africans, and the indiscriminate attacks upon Mexicans throughout history.

Yeah! We've got a cultural problem alright. We've always had a problem. Its in our DNA!
I've got to give you credit. You're the first person I've seen try to use slavery in an argument for gun control. Or the Mexican-American War.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:31 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudduck View Post
I'm all for banning semi autos at the very least
Why? Semi autos have been used to save hundreds of thousands of lives every year. The recent shooting in Texas was stopped by someone with a semi auto rifle.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:28 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,604,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudduck View Post
I'm all for banning semi autos at the very least
I might have missed the explanation, but how do you go about doing this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies