Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 04:50 PM

4,388 posts, read 4,245,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I don't understand why some people think throwing money at the poor will somehow magically make them care. Money is not the problem. It's whether they have engaging parents or not.
Having caring parents is truly a bonus for a kid. But children can learn and become successful despite their parents' efforts to bring them down. I've seen it over and over again in my 33 years of teaching. Some students have parents who don't want them to go to college and who will do everything in their power to prevent it. A determined child can overcome deleterious parenting given the right resources. I've had astudent who had to ask a judge to sign their FAFSA because her mother refused to. Once the mother died of a crack overdose, the child at least did not have her as an obstacle anymore.

Are you denying that children can overcome bad parenting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 04:52 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,650,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The object is to make it as easily available as possible. That has not happened. I would think automatically mailing the contraceptives to those eligible would be the sort of things you want. And instant access to the abortion drugs if they miss a period. If you wish to limit kids in bad places you go all out to make it simple.
You're missing the point, lvmensch. It's been readily available in large cities like Chicago for decades - and you still find young single women having babies they cannot afford to feed.

If THEY have free contraception available to them, and opt not to use it, what makes you think their counterparts in the sticks would use it if readily available? Availability isn't the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Yes, it's the church going folks that are pumping them out. I know this because I used to date black guys and thus was given access into the circle of black community. The women are very religious, especially the single moms. And trust me, there are A LOT of single moms in the black community. You don't even need to see the statistics. Everywhere you go, you will see single moms. All the black guys I got to know had no fathers.

This is one area that I am absolutely in disagreement with mainstream liberal people. I see this trend as a huge problem for the black community. But mainstream liberals for some damn reason think it's completely ok and not at all a problem. Just wait for the angry posts to come my way. You'll see.
I'm not convinced this is it and I'll tell you why. I know someone who works with young women who are on all kinds of assistance and they're not church going people.

I know the rate - it's 72%. I think the mentality is that they think it's normal behavior and nothing more. But it's irresponsible of people to bring children into the world when they cannot feed themselves without government assistance. Not PC to say but someone should be saying it.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Are we suggesting that poor people don’t care about their children?

If they do care, how could they allow their children not finish high school?

What’s the real reason that they don’t graduate from high school?
Poor people are unique individuals and not monolithic by any measure. Some poor people don't care about their children. Some poor people want their children to work full time rather than go to school. Some poor people teach their children to shoplift or break into houses. Some poor people pimp out their children.

Just because some poor people actively hurt their children does not mean that all do. The real reasons they don't graduate from high school are as individualistic as the children themselves.

That applies to rich people also--not all rich people are cut from the same cloth. Some teach their children the ways of noblesse oblige while others teach theirs to screw others before the same thing happens to them. Don't judge people based on the groups to which they belong. Judge each person by his/her own merits.

Last edited by lhpartridge; 11-13-2017 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: I got bleeped. Sorry.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:01 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,854,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
That's how the economy works. Every man for himself, and if you end up in the winners' bracket, you get higher quality everything. That's why there is both Wal*Mart and Neiman Marcus.
He who dies with the most toys...still dies. And then comes judgment. If you think you can buy your way out of that, you're dead wrong.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1
Stop - between Planned Parenthood and Medicaid (do you think those in poverty we're talking about are the rich poor and therefore wouldn't qualify for Medicaid?) people have access to birth control - which they opt not to take. If they did take it, abortions would seldom be the issue.

Think in terms of cities. There are free clinics and women still have multiple babies when they cannot feed themselves. If they're not willing to stop the cycle of generational poverty, all the free clinics in those places you're referring to wouldn't make a difference anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The average number of children in all households in the US (2015) was 2.4

The average number of children in a household that receives welfare in 2013 was 2.5
And? What is your point?

Old 11-13-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
One simple question. Is it the child’s fault/problem for their parents ability to send them to a good school? I don’t think so. Our school systems need to be able to provide a good education to all children. You can’t preach individual responsibilty if we allow poor kids to have a crap education. Wealthy kids should have a good education too. Why is it necessary to choose between the two? All should have, at least, decent schools.
Why are some schools unable to provide a good education to all children?

Old 11-13-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You're missing the point, lvmensch. It's been readily available in large cities like Chicago for decades - and you still find young single women having babies they cannot afford to feed.

If THEY have free contraception available to them, and opt not to use it, what makes you think their counterparts in the sticks would use it if readily available? Availability isn't the issue.

I'm not convinced this is it and I'll tell you why. I know someone who works with young women who are on all kinds of assistance and they're not church going people.

I know the rate - it's 72%. I think the mentality is that they think it's normal behavior and nothing more. But it's irresponsible of people to bring children into the world when they cannot feed themselves without government assistance. Not PC to say but someone should be saying it.
They do think it's normal. Everyone they see has children on welfare. They think that I get Medicaid and EBT. They don't even know that those programs are for poor people, because when you tell them, they say, "We're not poor and we get Medicaid." That's when I tell them that in that case, it's Medicaid fraud. They just don't believe it.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:26 PM

1,188 posts, read 960,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
One simple question. Is it the child’s fault/problem for their parents ability to send them to a good school? I don’t think so. Our school systems need to be able to provide a good education to all children. You can’t preach individual responsibilty if we allow poor kids to have a crap education. Wealthy kids should have a good education too. Why is it necessary to choose between the two? All should have, at least, decent schools.
I'm not saying some schools should be bad. We should strive for a minimum standard that is high. But I don't see what the problem is if a local jurisdiction that has a lot of money has the best schools. That would make perfect sense because, generally speaking, the quality of products go up as the price goes up. Just like I expect that wealthy areas will have better parks and libraries and other public accommodations.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:31 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,124,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
They do think it's normal. Everyone they see has children on welfare. They think that I get Medicaid and EBT. They don't even know that those programs are for poor people, because when you tell them, they say, "We're not poor and we get Medicaid." That's when I tell them that in that case, it's Medicaid fraud. They just don't believe it.
I've had similar experiences.

Some people have been on Medicaid their whole lives that they assume everyone is on it. My fiance and I own our own properties. Last time we took in a couple people to provide them shelter, they asked us if our house was section 8.

It's actually quite sad that there are people who think it's normal to be permanently on assistance.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:36 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,595,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Most wonderful 'merit' based high schools do not have class sizes of 55 students
LOL!!!

Not in US of course! Shame on you, Americans. Third world poor students can beat you in education in any way and any day, and you are here yapping about not having good schools. The American schools are like heaven to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies