Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 11:03 AM

9,907 posts, read 10,855,348 times

Advertisements

As big as he is, I reckon he'll be touring with the Dixie Chick before long.

Tim McGraw criticized by gun rights advocates over Sandy Hook concert | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 11:12 AM

7,581 posts, read 5,353,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
As big as he is, I reckon he'll be touring with the Dixie Chick before long.

Tim McGraw criticized by gun rights advocates over Sandy Hook concert | Fox News
Seems like that would be fine with him.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Seems like that would be fine with him.
Yeah, except they are no longer...the point.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:18 AM

232 posts, read 238,260 times
What in the world has happened to "country" music? My wife listens to the new stuff but it ain't country to me. I will stick with Haggard,Williams,Cash etc.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:26 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,374,105 times
I've argued in support of people's 2nd Amendment rights many times here. I've argued as much for the 1st Amendment rights. I don't get people getting upset over people exercising either.

I'm not a fan of his music so it does little for me to note that I can't seem to get upset over this. Yes, I imagine some of the money finds it's way to anti 2nd Amendment groups but he seems to believe the bigger picture is important.

I'll still support the ACLU even though they at times do things I disagree with.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:30 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,189,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wolf View Post
What in the world has happened to "country" music? My wife listens to the new stuff but it ain't country to me. I will stick with Haggard,Williams,Cash etc.
You should check out Sturgill Simpson. It's like they even used recording equipment from the 70s he sounds so much like that.

I don't have mad hate for Nashville or Bro Country like some people, but I find Red Dirt music in general to be more in line with what I am looking for. It is a lot like Southern Rock from back in the day.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:20 PM

232 posts, read 238,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
You should check out Sturgill Simpson. It's like they even used recording equipment from the 70s he sounds so much like that.

I don't have mad hate for Nashville or Bro Country like some people, but I find Red Dirt music in general to be more in line with what I am looking for. It is a lot like Southern Rock from back in the day.
I just did a google search and yeah I like him...I LOVE Hank Williams the 3rd.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:47 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,918,095 times
There are other liberal country stars: Faith Hill (his wife), Willie Nelson, Trisha Yearwood, Dixie Chicks etc. The difference is after being shunned by the rightwing country establishment they are speaking out. There are many more rumored to be liberals who don't say anything (Dolly Parton is rumored to be a Democratic supporter). I used to work in country radio and the audience tends to be very conservative. That's why generally the libs never said much. Someone like Tim McGraw gets a huge pop fan base (as does most of these acts)so I suppose their thinking is if they lose country there is pop. BTW I'm no fan of today's country, give me traditional country.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've argued in support of people's 2nd Amendment rights many times here. I've argued as much for the 1st Amendment rights. I don't get people getting upset over people exercising either.

I'm not a fan of his music so it does little for me to note that I can't seem to get upset over this. Yes, I imagine some of the money finds it's way to anti 2nd Amendment groups but he seems to believe the bigger picture is important.

I'll still support the ACLU even though they at times do things I disagree with.
Agreed for the most part. I have no problem with what McGraw is doing, but he or others who support anti-gun measures shouldn't have a problem with people speaking up about it or voting with their pocketbooks. Currington pulled out and has the left calling him all kinds of things, weather it was on principle or just to avoid controversy at least he knows his audience.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
There are other liberal country stars: Faith Hill (his wife), Willie Nelson, Trisha Yearwood, Dixie Chicks etc. The difference is after being shunned by the rightwing country establishment they are speaking out. There are many more rumored to be liberals who don't say anything (Dolly Parton is rumored to be a Democratic supporter). I used to work in country radio and the audience tends to be very conservative. That's why generally the libs never said much. Someone like Tim McGraw gets a huge pop fan base (as does most of these acts)so I suppose their thinking is if they lose country there is pop. BTW I'm no fan of today's country, give me traditional country.
Exactly McGraw is making movies and has those ties to the left. They are free to do what they want but don't snivel if the ones that brung ya don't wanna dance anymore.

Little big town is finding out the same thing right now , with a questionable single they just released.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies