Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 06:13 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,315,149 times

Advertisements

Interesting who sets the fines of violations. Both in California and elsewhere

I.e this article

Roadshow: Tell us about your ‘dumb’ tickets – The Mercury News

Legalized extortion for such high fines for a $2 light rail fare. Yet they enforce it so little that real cheaters know how to avoid those five inspectors on the line.
Interesting when you want to lure people to ride the train to reduce traffic congestion. A confused commuter who are dinged by such a fine would probably never ride it again and tell others not to as well.

In the case of heavy rail commuter trains wouldn't it be better if you have gates or platform "loaders" at busier stations, and the conductor to handle tickets at less busier stations, maybe with a surcharge for stations with staffed ticket sales.

Though fortunately for other transit agencies around the state i.e LA metro, SF muni, and most recently BART the fine is set at a much more reasonable $75-$125 which is still steep for such violation but much lower than VTA's or Caltrain's fine.
its interesting that BART would adopt proof of fare in 2018 when fares are not collected at entering the system but upon exiting. Cheaters mostly cheat when they exit the system so just because they have a BART ticket or clipper card doesn't mean they won't cheat when the agent is looking the other way as they leave.

Though when you compare that a toll facility violation is $25 for a first time penalty in most jurisdictions in California and $70 for not paying it and that a failure to pay parking fee violation is about $40-$67 in most cities in CA. The system is unduly harsh on those trying to save the environment at the same time try to confuse them with confusing rule that various alot from system to system.

In practice the fine for transit related violations should never be higher than 50 times the fare. This is the rule in most parts of the world aside from very serious violations.

So who sets who high or low fines are anyways? It doesn't always match the seriousness of the violation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 06:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
I often wonder how a $50 fine for something like a burned out tail light on your car, turns into $200+ after "court costs".. I mean a light bulb burned out, just tell the driver to get it fixed. Doesnt need to turn into a criminal action...

Old 11-13-2017, 08:21 PM

And the worst thing is that it varies greatly from locality to locality in California. i.e a $25 fine may range from $76-$160 depending on where it happened. I am guessing if it happens in Palo Alto California or Beverly Hills California it would cost more than if it happened in a place like El Centro California.

Though the transit fines are just ridiculous. I know that Los Angeles union station now banned driving into the Gateway plaza on the east side for private cars to send off or pick up passengers the ban includes taxis and TNCs such as Uber and lyft and threatens a over $200 fine for those who accidentally drive into the poorly marked plaza that once allowed pickups and drop offs near the station door. Nowadays these drivers would need to drive into an underground facility to do so and this means poor cellphone reception which means passengers would have difficulty contacting their drivers whether its their friends or family or Uber/Lyft who depend on reception to contact riders and for GPS. The situation on the westside of the station is no better as there is no place to wait without paying for parking, and the drop off zone is very small, out of the way for bus/train riders, and overwhelmed with traffic. And the Union station makes Bolt bus stop at an awkward place on the west side as well. This is hard for both bus drivers and riders of Bolt bus.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I often wonder how a $50 fine for something like a burned out tail light on your car, turns into $200+ after "court costs".. I mean a light bulb burned out, just tell the driver to get it fixed. Doesnt need to turn into a criminal action...
State Trooper gave me an "illegally operated a vehicle" ticket in lieu of a speeding ticket last year which is basically like getting a littering fine, $25 fine... total cost was $125 or something like that. Here in PA the additional fees cover a variety of specific things like EMS, 911, computer upgrades for the courts etc.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:04 PM

Wow I always thought a burned out light is usually resolved by a fix it ticket in which it means the ticket would be waived if the situation is fixed within a certain timeframe. At least in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies