Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 07:37 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Look at all the economically ignorant Leftist posters here commenting on something they know nothing about and citing Washington Post, which is neither unbiased or are economics experts.

Whether they pay down debt or buy stocks back, ultimately that is money that is put back into the economy. For example, if you pay off your mortgage, the bank getting that mortgage money from you now has more money to then loan out more money to someone else. Money doesn’t just vanish, it gets recycled and that’s good for the economy.

This is even more reason to disregard the know-nothing Leftist-liberal snowflakes who only know how to spend daddy’s money.
NEWSFLASH everyone that doesn't agree with Trump isn't a leftist. We make a comfortable living, and this tax plan stinks. I don't want my taxes increased so corps can have a permanent 40% tax cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 07:38 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
They can pay down all the debt they want but not at the expense of my taxes going up, when their tax cuts are permanent. .
no ones taxes are going up over this.. its money that WOULD NEVER be taxed, and by bringing it home now, it WILL BE,

Your choices is NEVER taxing it, or getting tax revenues for it, and collecting taxes on someone else, does not make YOURS go up..
Quote:
what they would do after a “tax holiday” that would allow them to bring back money held overseas at a low tax rate.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:38 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
NEWSFLASH everyone that doesn't agree with Trump isn't a leftist. We make a comfortable living, and this tax plan stinks. I don't want my taxes increased so corps can have a permanent 40% tax cut.
I want the corporates to have 100% tax cut. Corporate tax is stupid.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:40 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
Quote:
They can pay down all the debt they want but not at the expense of my taxes going up, when their tax cuts are permanent.
Get a clue. Most everyone is getting a tax cut, not up. Except the very rich individuals, but that’s what you Leftists want so you should be happy.

Quote:
No one is clueless except you.

1. they don't have excessive debt, and they are swimming in cash now. They can pay off debt now if they wanted.
2. This tax plan is being touted as a boon for workers not as a vehicle for stock buybacks.
Look at the clueless (you) calling someone clueless.

It is a boon for the workers. They pay less taxes and there will be more jobs because the economy will expand due to overseas money coming back into this country.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:43 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
Quote:
It doesn’t matter if you are really a Leftist or not since we are on an anonymous board and have no idea who is what, when you are arguing against one side and favoring the other, then it can be assumed that you are from that side.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:44 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Would I invest more? That's a tough question.. Market demands are what drive investments.
Where to open a new plant? In a business friendly state or a tax heavy state? No brainer.
Open a plant where the Unions will demand a Union shop or where Unions have less control? No brainer.
Investment is seldom a no brainer. Ok I got a tax break. Do I use the savings to pay down debt or risk the money on a maybe? Tough call.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:49 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,549 times
They are going to invest in their company but most of these corporations are already well off with cash on hand. The more cash they have, the more appealing they are for stockholders

All in all this won’t effect the average American. There won’t be an influx of cash and jobs in the economy. That’s the point people are making with the tax reform. We are assuming wrong that companies will do the right thing. They won’t because the stock market is all they care about

The tax reform should come with a contingency

Old 11-15-2017, 07:49 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Get a clue. Most everyone is getting a tax cut, not up. Except the very rich individuals, but that’s what you Leftists want so you should be happy.
There is a large swath of folks, in the 200-400k range who are not getting a cut. People with a lot of kids are also losing out with the removal of personal exemptions. The doubling of std deduction is smoke and mirrors for many but you keep on spouting the GOP talking points.

And stop with the leftist bs , you all are so childish.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:51 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
"President Trump's top economic adviser, Gary Cohn, looked out from the stage at a sea of CEOs and top executives in the audience Tuesday for the Wall Street Journal's CEO Council meeting. As Cohn sat comfortably onstage, a Journal editor asked the crowd to raise their hands if their company plans to invest more if the tax reform bill passes.

Very few hands went up.

Cohn looked surprised. “Why aren't the other hands up?” he said."

"A Bank of America-Merrill Lynch survey this summer asked over 300 executives at major U.S. corporations what they would do after a “tax holiday” that would allow them to bring back money held overseas at a low tax rate. The No. 1 response? Pay down debt. The second most popular response was stock buybacks,"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...at-hed-expect/
Exactly.

'Trickle Down' theories do not work, and have never worked. My company would never voluntarily pass along the excess to the employees as wages or benefits, it would be considered counter to their fiduciary responsibility to the stockholders (which are almost entirely big banks and mutual funds).

The theory is an excuse for a tax cut on the rich, who are just going to hoard it.

Trickle down doesn't work anywhere in the world. The tendency is (and has always been) for the wealth of a nation (any nation) to amass into the control of a few, and that normally has dangerous social consequences. The government is bought, and the people become peons.

We have seen this trend in our own country worsening since Ronald Reagan was president, and if it continues unabated our class structure will turn into an inflexible caste system.

America's Wealth Gap is Bigger Than Ever
Attached Thumbnails
CEOs dont raise hands when asked if they plan to invest more-wealth-disparity-1.jpg   CEOs dont raise hands when asked if they plan to invest more-wealth-disparity-2.jpg   CEOs dont raise hands when asked if they plan to invest more-wealth-disparity-3.jpg  

Old 11-15-2017, 07:51 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
There is a large swath of folks, in the 200-400k range who are not getting a cut.
poor babies. Anyone I know bringing in that type of money a year is considered high income earners..

Nice to see you defend "the rich"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies