Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 11:43 AM

1,184 posts, read 720,671 times

Advertisements

When an illegal can sue the city for turning him over to the feds and win 1/4 million dollars you can see why there is no funds for the homeless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 11:46 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Homelessness is a choice. There's plenty of work available in flyover country if the government provided some basic assistance to get them groomed, clean shaven, and perhaps a temporary place of residence. This is something they could do themselves with just a day or two of begging for handouts.. clean themselves up, buy some basic clothing, and go apply for jobs. What are you supposed to do with people who won't help themselves? Seems like Fox are starting to act like liberals with pieces like this... they want these cities to feed and house them all or something? That would be the liberal thing to do. Do they ignore the obvious advantage of living in a temperate climate? Seems like a hit pieces targeting sanctuary cities. Let them be sanctuary cities if that's what they want to do, as long as I don't have to pay for all their homeless and the local taxpayers have to deal with it. They've got the spare disposable income.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:49 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Homelessness is a choice. There's plenty of work available in flyover country if the government provided some basic assistance to get them groomed, clean shaven, and perhaps a temporary place of residence. What are you supposed to do with people who won't help themselves? Seems like Fox are starting to act like liberals with pieces like this... they want these cities to feed and house them all or something? That would be the liberal thing to do.
There is also a high occurrence of mental illness along the homeless. Ignoring that and just positing that they are all just people who want to be slackers and could all just work if they really wanted to is ignorant.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:50 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
There is also a high occurrence of mental illness along the homeless. Ignoring that and just positing that they could all just work if they really wanted to is ignorant.
And a high occurrence of mental illness among the politicians who run places like Portland. Not to mention the voters that keep electing them over and over.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:54 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
It is just an example of how the homeless crisis is manufactured by liberals elites to raise their self-esteem's.

San Francisco elite liberals like walking to their offices with water from every country on earth and fresh juice bars witnessing the massive amount of human suffering going on there. It makes them feel special and that they made it. It is a comedy to them.

It will be interesting when all this major filth and human suffering in San Francisco causes the elites to get sick from all the viruses and bacteria from people living in third-world conditions on the sidewalks next to where the liberal, tech elites work.

The scenes of downtown Wichita document life in a conservative, Republican area. Strong, clean with a huge, huge middle-class.

The scenes of San Francisco show the horrors of liberalism for all but the non elite. A smug millionaire and billionaire class living in mansions and eating only the best imported food and beverages for their selective palates.
Is this satire?

Old 11-27-2017, 12:00 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
IMHO these folks fall into four groups: the mentally ill, those addicted to controlled substances, people who are priced out of housing, and those for whom homelessness is a lifestyle (bums back in the day). Development has eliminated the old SROs, a place where a person could rent a clean room cheap. There is just no place for these folks to live and Portland, in particular, has tolerated camping in public places. This has to stop. They are a health risk to the community and some support themselves by stealing.

If we took an honest look at our justice system our jails are de-facto institutions to house the mentally ill and addicted. Yes we have criminals who are neither but I venture they are not the majority. When I was young there were state mental hospitals, they were closed based on the promise of community care which was never adequately funded. Just try to find secure housing for the mentally ill in our communities, it isn't there. If you have dementia and family who can pay for care - great, but if you have a mental illness and need to be in a care facility to make sure you take your meds - out of luck because you don't have the right diagnosis.

I understand that Salt Lake has implemented an effective housing first program. Their first group to house was Veterans and they were able to, I read, to place them all via veteran housing programs. I am not sure how the other groups were handled.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:08 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
IMHO these folks fall into four groups: the mentally ill, those addicted to controlled substances, people who are priced out of housing, and those for whom homelessness is a lifestyle (bums back in the day). Development has eliminated the old SROs, a place where a person could rent a clean room cheap. There is just no place for these folks to live and Portland, in particular, has tolerated camping in public places. This has to stop. They are a health risk to the community and some support themselves by stealing.

If we took an honest look at our justice system our jails are de-facto institutions to house the mentally ill and addicted. Yes we have criminals who are neither but I venture they are not the majority. When I was young there were state mental hospitals, they were closed based on the promise of community care which was never adequately funded. Just try to find secure housing for the mentally ill in our communities, it isn't there.

I understand that Salt Lake has implemented an effective housing first program. Their first group to house was Veterans and they were able to, I read, to place them all via veteran housing programs. I am not sure how the other groups were handled.
Salt Lake has done a lot, yes. Though it’s having a bit of problems at the moment as they try to clean up some drug areas.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...people-missing

Old 11-27-2017, 12:18 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,167,096 times
I remember reading that san francisco was allegedly paying the homeless over $400 a month and made the homeless problem worst when these bums came from all over place for the allegedly free money! Cities like SF shoot themselves in foot!

Old 11-27-2017, 12:37 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
It is just an example of how the homeless crisis is manufactured by liberals elites to raise their self-esteem's. San Francisco elite liberals like walking to their offices with water from every country on earth and fresh juice bars witnessing the massive amount of human suffering going on there. It makes them feel special and that they made it. It is a comedy to them.
Oh well...maybe with better planning you too could afford to live in California

Old 11-27-2017, 01:03 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
There is also a high occurrence of mental illness along the homeless. Ignoring that and just positing that they are all just people who want to be slackers and could all just work if they really wanted to is ignorant.
To be fair we almost have to split the discussion between families\people that wind up homeless and those that are chronically homeless because they can't stay in the programs designed to help due to substance abuse and mental illness.

My kids friend was homeless during parts of highschool due to their dad being a druggie and mom having to find shelter for them. I think we can all acknowledge a big difference between that and the guy with meth addiction that panhandles on the corner all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies