Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2017, 03:12 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,417,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTwo View Post
You know those inhabitants included jews right?

What argument are you even attempting to make?
Yes! Jews who were more than welcome... my argument is i have a right to that land that was taken.. gal gadots village was built upon the land my grandfather watered oranges in, i would love to knock on her door and tell her that...my argument is israel is an imperial state oppressing people...

Old 12-05-2017, 03:18 PM

862 posts, read 520,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Yes! Jews who were more than welcome... my argument is i have a right to that land that was taken.. gal gadots village was built upon the land my grandfather watered oranges in, i would love to knock on her door and tell her that...my argument is israel is an imperial state oppressing people...
Peoples gain and lose land continuously through history.

I hope one day Palestinian leadership will agree to some sort of 2 state solution as that is the only way to solve this issue.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Peoples gain and lose land continuously through history.

I hope one day Palestinian leadership will agree to some sort of 2 state solution as that is the only way to solve this issue.
So i just suck it up and take the loss of land, demonization of my people, genocide, and more... sounds cool to me

Old 12-05-2017, 03:21 PM

862 posts, read 520,544 times
Quote:
So i just suck it up and take the loss of land, demonization of my people, genocide, and more... sounds cool to me
Hyperbole aside (look up the definition of genocide), yes.

That's what almost every group of people has had to do throughout history.

You have been offered an independent state countless times. Life requires compromise.

Whats the other option? Continual terror attacks and response from Israel until both sides kill each other? That doesn't sound too good to me.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:23 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,517,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
"The U.S. government’s diplomatic staff braced for violent protests around the Muslim world as speculation mounted that President Donald Trump planned to move the U.S. Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem and recognize the city as Israel’s capital."

"Trump’s stated intention to relocate the embassy has been met with anger in the Arab world for months."

U.S. Braces for Violence at Embassies Around Muslim World as Donald Trump Nears Jerusalem Move

Do you believe American actions that anger the Muslim world will not increase the risk of terrorist attacks on Americans?
No, I do not agree U.S. actions will necessarily increase radical Muslim violence.

Nothing is necessary to trigger radical Muslim violence. It's their raison-d-etre. Radical Muslims need NO reason to commit violence against ANYONE not of their faith (also a lot who are) and who are merely standing where they want to defecate.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Hyperbole aside (look up the definition of genocide), yes.

That's what almost every group of people has had to do throughout history.

You have been offered an independent state countless times. Life requires compromise.

Whats the other option? Continual terror attacks and response from Israel until both sides kill each other? That doesn't sound too good to me.
Give me liberty or give me death... also israelis kill far more palestinians than the other way around. far more.. i want a one state solution where those who had their land stolen get it back, war criminals are tried, and discrimination is vanquished... then we will have peace.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:44 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,310,025 times
This move is out of Trump’s triangulation playbook.

1. He says he will move our Embassy from Tel Aviv.
2. Unrest among the Palestinians will increase.
3. On the basis of increased violence among Arabs due to the announcement, Trump will say that larger groups of Muslims, or all Muslims need to be banned from entering the country.

This isn't really about actual policy change. It’s about satisfying the third of the electorate that will follow him into the bowels of Hell on his command, particularly if he promises to make America Great (dog whistle for White) Again.

Trump will purposely exacerbate a situation and then politically exploit it.

Like the GEICO ads would say, “it’s what he does”.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 12-05-2017 at 04:05 PM..

Old 12-05-2017, 03:47 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,740,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The US made a public law 22 years that a) recognizes Jerusalem as the capitol of Israel and b) mandates moving the US embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, no later than 1999.

That the previous three Presidents and every Congress since 1995 have blown this law off does not lay this at Trump's feet. If his administration in conjunction with the legislative branch do in fact a) recognize Jerusalem as the capitol of Israel and b) move the US embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, all they will be doing is following a 22 year old public law of the United States to the letter, as written, passed and signed into law in 1995.

This is one of those funny Trump criticisms where he is doing something based on an existing law, regulation or EO that everyone else simply ignored, and he apparently is a bad man for following the written passed and signed laws? Am I the only one that can spot both the dysfunction and the hypocrisy in that? Why does Congress write and pass bills that are then signed into law if exactly none of the law is ever to be followed, enforced or applied on/by anyone, ever? What is the freaking point of the Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995 if it was not meant to ever be followed to even the slightest degree? Good political theater for Clinton to make him seem like friend of Israel, while also agreeing to never uphold the law to be duplicitous friend of Islam? Same for Dubyah, same for Obama?

Why does that law exist if it is meant to never, ever be followed, enforced or applied?
The trickiness here is that Congress has no actual authority to pass such a law. The prerogatives of US foreign policy are solely those of the Executive branch and that extends to the recognition of territorial claims by other nations as well as the location of embassies. The Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995 is unconstitutional and is not considered actual law, but treated more as an advisory by Congress to the POTUS.

This is why all Presidents since the passing of the law have ignored it, why Clinton never approved or vetoed it, etc. The illegality of the measure is enshrined in the waiver provision that Bob Dole had added which basically allowed the POTUS to waiver out of it. Since it cannot go into effect without the POTUS deciding to sign or not sign the waiver, there is no potential legal challenge to the law's constitutionality as it is simply a mechanism for forcing the POTUS to make a decision. This is why they didn't simply pass a law to make the move happen because it would not be legally binding. Hence, Bush's position that it was an "advisory law" not an actual law.

You cannot justify Trump's action here based on it being "law passed by Congress" because Congress does not actually have the power to pass laws directing US foreign policy. This is solely Trump's decision and one that is nothing more than a symbolic gesture. However, that symbolic gesture certainly has great appeal to a portion of his political base here at home (evangelical conservatives) and will most likely cause a great deal of angst internationally...akin to kicking a hornet's nest just because you can...or better yet kicking it because one of your friends tells you to because they think it will bring you all closer to God.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:52 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,517,191 times
Quote:
Give me liberty or give me death... also israelis kill far more palestinians than the other way around. far more.. i want a one state solution where those who had their land stolen get it back, war criminals are tried, and discrimination is vanquished... then we will have peace.
You've declared war with your stupid mandate; that's how you win a war...kill more of the other guys. Only a retarded fool would expect that to change as long as your stated mandate is to eradicate the other guy!

Counting upon your Arab brethren to support you with the kinds of weapons that would result only in armageddon of their various fiefdoms is the belief of useful idiots. It suits their purposes to keep you throwing stones at a tiger.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:54 PM

720 posts, read 359,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Jerusalem was not given to Israel in the original partition. It was supposed to be an open city and our government's policy has been to maintain that status, especially notable in the granting of visas to residents of Jerusalem.

Israel has had an expansionist agenda for decades (almost since the beginning) due to the hard-right Orthodox Jews who want to rebuild 'David's kingdom' with the blood and tears of others. Their tactics have included colonizing public and private lands which do not belong to them, walling off people from their farms and homes, refusing to allow people to repair their own homes and annexing territories and driving the inhabitants out: essentially ethnic cleansing. These policies have been highly inflammatory for decades and our unreserved backing of Israel even with these crimes pretty much got our country sucked into the Middle East maelstrom in the first place. We are considered enemies of people across the region specifically because Israel is backed by us without reservation.

Jerusalem is symbolic of this expansionist policy. Not our policy, but theirs. But the USA is sure to pay a high price for it.

The Palestinian State (once it emerges) and Israel would both like to have Jerusalem as their capital. It has never been resolved and it is not an issue for us alone to decide. By moving the embassy to Jerusalem we would de facto be endorsing an excusive claim to the city by one party. The only nation to do so and it would be very provocative.

It would be like carelessly starting a forest fire, very unwise.

"Stupid is as stupid does ..."
Garbage.

The last time Jerusalem was overrun and ruled by Arabs, in 1949, and in violation of international law, all the ancient synagogues were razed to the ground, the centuries-old Jewish tombstones on Mt. Scopus were used to pave latrines, and the Western Wall was turned into a garbage dump. The Jewish population of the ancient Jewish Quarter was either murdered or expelled and ALL Jews were banned from entering Old Jerusalem. For 19 years the UN did NOTHING. The world did NOTHING. West Jerusalem was ALWAYS Jewish. Every structure there was built by Jews. Israel did not conquer West Jerusalem in 1949. The Arabs, however, did conquer the Old City - and they ravaged it.

(Jews were also banned from visiting the Cave of the Patriarchs, where the Jewish patriarchs Abraham. Isaac, and Jacob, and matriarchs Sarah, Rebecca, Rachel, and Leah are entombed. ALL Jews were also banned from all other Jewish holy sites in the Arab-occupied "West Bank".)

In June, 1967, the Jordanian Arab Legion attacked Israel all along the long armistice line, especially in Jerusalem. This happened despite repeated pleas by Israel to the Jordanian king to desist. What did you expect Israel to do? Present the Arab attackers with flowers? "expansionist policy"??? It was PURELY a DEFENSIVE war.
Jerusalem then became a truly OPEN city. People of all three religions freely worship in their holy places. Each religion has guardianship of its holy places.

Given the history of the UN's complete silence when Jewish holy places were BLATANTLY desecrated and the rights of Jews were BLATANTLY violated, Israel should never relinquish Jerusalem. The office of the President is in Jerusalem. The office of the Prime Minister is in Jerusalem. The Parliament is in Jerusalem. The whole government is in Jerusalem. Jerusalem has been the capital of Israel, is the capital of Israel. and always will be the capital of Israel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies