Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 11:55 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
I am surprised some aren't aware of this. It's nothing new. There have been two people fired in my office in the last 4 years for private Facebook posts.
Yep, there have been at few where I work too.

Imagine in 20 years where all these 40-50 year olds that had twitter, fb and whatnot from a young age get torn apart for juvenile jokes, mean comments or whatnot.

We'll have an all-Amish Senate! LMAO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
It wasnt a joke, he was being sarcastic, criticizing everyone who defended Roman Polanski

Old 12-07-2017, 12:28 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
MSNBC backtracked when they realized how stupid they were for firing someone over what was clearly sarcastic criticism.

From MSNCB

Quote:
"Sometimes you just get one wrong -- and that's what happened here. We made our initial decision for the right reasons -- because we don't consider rape to be a funny topic to be joked about," Griffin said. "But we've heard the feedback, and we understand the point Sam was trying to make in that tweet was actually in line with our values, even though the language was not. Sam will be welcome on our air going forward."
MSNBC decides to bring back Sam Seder after controversy - Dec. 7, 2017

Old 12-07-2017, 05:39 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,223,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
MSNBC backtracked when they realized how stupid they were for firing someone over what was clearly sarcastic criticism.

From MSNCB

MSNBC decides to bring back Sam Seder after controversy - Dec. 7, 2017
Indecision. A consequence of hiring too many women at your company.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:41 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
I agree. Crazy.

I skimmed quickly, but didn't see - was it his personal account, or his public/work account?

Old 12-07-2017, 05:43 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Wow, misogyny is your thing.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:54 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
This is getting crazy. Today at work, one of the young ladies made a comment about how we men always exaggerate the sizes of "certain" things. Every guy there suddenly got very quiet and walked away because we are afraid to say anything anymore, because it might come back to bite us.

There was a time when men, and women, could enjoy a little adult joking and teasing, but those days are long gone. Not saying that is what happened to all of the women who are coming forward, but I think a lot is getting blown out of proportion.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:10 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Really? I heard it happens to men who have very, very small penises.

ETA: I posted before reading the post right above mine on the same topic. But yeah, it really is ok if we as a society decide that we aren't going to make jokes about genitalia in the workplace.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:15 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
It was a sarcastic tweet meant to mock the people in Hollywood. Nothing more.

We're being forced to become a self-censoring group out of fear of retaliation.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:16 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
This is getting crazy. Today at work, one of the young ladies made a comment about how we men always exaggerate the sizes of "certain" things. Every guy there suddenly got very quiet and walked away because we are afraid to say anything anymore, because it might come back to bite us.

There was a time when men, and women, could enjoy a little adult joking and teasing, but those days are long gone. Not saying that is what happened to all of the women who are coming forward, but I think a lot is getting blown out of proportion.
Know who should be in trouble for that little incident? Her. She was the one who created a hostile work environment, making others clearly uncomfortable with her speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies