Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 05:04 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times

Advertisements

President Trump has formally told NASA to send U.S. astronauts back to the moon.
"The directive I'm signing today will refocus America's space program on human exploration and discovery," he said.
Standing at the president's side as he signed "Space Policy Directive 1" on Monday was Apollo 17 astronaut Harrison Schmitt, one of the last two humans to ever walk on the moon, in a mission that took place 45 years ago this week.

Since that time, no human has ventured out beyond low-Earth orbit. NASA doesn't even have its own space vehicle, having retired the space shuttles in 2011. Americans currently ride up to the International Space Station in Russian capsules, though private space taxis are expected to start ferrying them up as soon as next year.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ck-to-the-moon

Last edited by reed067; 12-12-2017 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: Can a mod delete this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 06:09 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Personally, I think this is great. (rarely can I say that about anything he does).

I can't imagine his base likes it at all. I'm sure if Obama had done it, we would be on page 74 of negative comments already. I'm curious to see what the ultra-conservative, flat-earth, bible-thumping (unless it costs us a seat) crowd thinks....

Old 12-12-2017, 06:11 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Has a funding bill been submitted?

Is it on next year's budget?

Old 12-12-2017, 06:14 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Nah, they'll just cut Medicare and SS to find the $$$, after all, they're only about people.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:15 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
President Trump Is Sending NASA Back To The Moon.

Sounds like they were only here on a temporary visa.

There is likely underlying defense issues not being mentioned. IMO

Old 12-12-2017, 06:16 AM

26,507 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

I am for more space exploration, eventually humans will need to leave planet Earth.

However, you bring up a great point. We are spending like drunken sailors and budget deficits have been projected to climb no matter who won the White House in 2016 - not to mention that interest rates on the national debt are expected to rise. Now throw on tax cuts and increased military spending!

Neither party is willing to cut ever so slightly their favorite areas - in fact the consternation over the sequester where government spending was still rising, just at a slower rate says all we need to know about DC's lack of fiscal responsibility.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:19 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
My family will personally benefit from this latest push to Moon & Mars -- my son was in DC last week & confirmed he will be working with astronauts in various capacities (technology) for these missions.

But honestly, I would rather we spend money on making Earth better than trying to make Mars or the Moon some place we can live because we destroyed Earth.

I know - -ridiculous logic isn't it......

Old 12-12-2017, 06:20 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
President Trump has formally told NASA to send U.S. astronauts back to the moon.
"The directive I'm signing today will refocus America's space program on human exploration and discovery," he said.
Standing at the president's side as he signed "Space Policy Directive 1" on Monday was Apollo 17 astronaut Harrison Schmitt, one of the last two humans to ever walk on the moon, in a mission that took place 45 years ago this week.

Since that time, no human has ventured out beyond low-Earth orbit. NASA doesn't even have its own space vehicle, having retired the space shuttles in 2011. Americans currently ride up to the International Space Station in Russian capsules, though private space taxis are expected to start ferrying them up as soon as next year.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ck-to-the-moon

Saw this on the news this morning. It's great to hear, although I thought he talked about Mars and some other possible planets. Not specifically the moon. It's good to hear that NASA will be teaming up with some private ventures to do this.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:20 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Personally, I think this is great. (rarely can I say that about anything he does).

I can't imagine his base likes it at all. I'm sure if Obama had done it, we would be on page 74 of negative comments already. I'm curious to see what the ultra-conservative, flat-earth, bible-thumping (unless it costs us a seat) crowd thinks....

I think Trump should be on the first rocket to go up!

Old 12-12-2017, 06:22 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
It would be nice if we could put our own people into space instead of relying upon the Russians to do it. I can think of a few Government agencies that we could take money from and redirect it to NASA.
100 billion from defense. Stop using our military as world cops. WE could save a bundle.
Cut foreign aid by half.
State dept is one of the most wasteful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies