Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 06:45 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
He was already a divisive candidate as a true conservative christian with strong beliefs that many Republican weren't supportive of...however, had this fake perv stuff not come out, he would easily have won. We can expect next election cycle that many women will be paid to come up with similar accusations against other Republican candidates.

^This

Look for a pandemic of sexual impropriety accusations against Republican candidates in 2018.

Democrats have absolutely nothing else working for them, so they'll triple-down on this.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:48 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I, for one, would have never voted for him due to his extreme social platform and views. However, I live in NY and probably cannot relate to the people in Alabama when it comes to those (gay marriage, abortion etc).
I would hope he lost due to those views (being Jewish, pro choice and fine with anyone marrying) rather than 40 year old allegations. If there were newer allegations of sexual assault or pedophile tendencies than I would be more comfortable. Nothing. Nothing new.
So basically while half of the country thinks last night was a win I am still baffled. He did not lose because he thought non Christians were going to Hell. He lost because he may have been a perv 40 years ago.
We all still lost.
Good question....I suspect a little of both. But I'm a NYer too and Alabama may as well be a foreign country. I was surprised when I read the top three industries in Alabama were automotive (Mercedes, Honda and Hyundai), the chemical industry and technology. So it's not some backwards cotton farming state stuck in the 1930's.

IMO political smears did Moore in. As Vox pointed out, Democrats and progressive groups poured enormous amounts of time and money into defeating Moore. And SO much money..."Democratic nominee Doug Jones has raised the most money by far. The Birmingham lawyer has raised $11.5 million in individual contributions since May — more than double the $5.2 million raised by Republican nominee Roy Moore, according to federal campaign finance data." https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ampaign-donors

But I have no idea how Alabaman's really felt about Moore or how they felt about the race in general. Only 18% of voters showed up for the combined primaries in August, but a hefty 40.4% showed up for the actual elections. Obviously the turmoil was good for the Democrats, so expect the same approach in 2018.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:50 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Default Did Moore lose over his politics or pedophile allegations?

I can't read peoples minds so I don't know but now it will be interesting if the accusations continue or they just fade away.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
WOW! Fake perv stuff. A true Conservative Christian? So all nine women were lying? And getting banned from the mall? More fake news! It's very apparent to me that the moral candidate won.

Moore was probably the one in ten accused of sexual impropriety that actually did something wrong.

His denials seemed a bit underblown and needed too much additional information.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Moore was way ahead in the polls before the allegations. He would have one by 5 to 10% had he not been a pervert.
not necessarily. moore might have been up in the polls, but they were also early polls, and as we know, polling data gaps narrow as the election draws closer to the polling places can maintain a semblance of credibility. thats why i think that without the allegations, the margin would have been closer to 3-4 points.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I can't read peoples minds so I don't know but now it will be interesting if the accusations continue or they just fade away.

They do have a tendency to fade away after the election.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:54 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
^This

Look for a pandemic of sexual impropriety accusations against Republican candidates in 2018.

Democrats have absolutely nothing else working for them, so they'll triple-down on this.
If republicans were smart, something they often go out of their way to prove they're not, they would put together a team to victimize democrats in the same way.
Then we could all hold our heads up a little higher knowing we chose the least perverted pervert.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:55 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,701,333 times
Both.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:01 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
I think, overall, that he lost because of bad publicity. Which has been dogging him for years.

Sadly, I think it is the perv aspect, because there is so much hysteria at the moment.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
not necessarily. moore might have been up in the polls, but they were also early polls, and as we know, polling data gaps narrow as the election draws closer to the polling places can maintain a semblance of credibility. thats why i think that without the allegations, the margin would have been closer to 3-4 points.

Moore was up in the polls, but then 300k AL Republicans stayed home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies