Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2017, 02:57 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Two articles about the leader in sports broadcasting...

John Skipper resigns as ESPN president, cites substance abuse issue

Skipper, who took over as president of the sports network in 2012, said in the statement he has battled substance abuse issues for "many years" and decided "the most important thing I can do right now is to take care of my problem."

"I come to this public disclosure with embarrassment, trepidation and a feeling of having let others I care about down," he said in a statement. "As I deal with this issue and what it means to me and my family, I ask for appropriate privacy and a little understanding."

--------------------

At ESPN, the problems for women run deep

ESPN is one of the most coveted places for sports journalists, and its sheer size gives more opportunities to women than many other outlets. But over the years, the company has been plagued by sexual misconduct scandals that have resulted in several lawsuits and filled the pages of at least two books, “ESPN: The Uncensored History,” and “Those Guys Have All the Fun.” Many employees have said the isolated location in Bristol only exacerbates problems in a male-dominated workplace.

But others are speaking openly. In her complaint, Adrienne Lawrence describes a toxic environment at ESPN headquarters where men make unwanted sexual and romantic advances under the guise of networking or mentoring, and “mark” women as their own by spreading false rumors about sexual relationships with female employees.

Lawrence accused John Buccigross, a longtime SportsCenter anchor whom she viewed as a mentor, of sending unsolicited shirtless photographs of himself and calling her “dollface,” “#dreamgirl,” and “#longlegs” in messages from 2016 reviewed by the Globe. Lawrence said she tried to remain cordial in the messages but at one point responded: “You need to wear clothes, sir.”

This past year has been tough for ESPN. This behavior can only last for a time until people just can't take it anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 03:05 PM

1,239 posts, read 510,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Skipper, who took over as president of the sports network in 2012, said in the statement he has battled substance abuse issues for "many years" and decided "the most important thing I can do right now is to take care of my problem."

"I come to this public disclosure with embarrassment, trepidation and a feeling of having let others I care about down," he said in a statement. "As I deal with this issue and what it means to me and my family, I ask for appropriate privacy and a little understanding."

--------------------

ESPN is one of the most coveted places for sports journalists, and its sheer size gives more opportunities to women than many other outlets. But over the years, the company has been plagued by sexual misconduct scandals that have resulted in several lawsuits and filled the pages of at least two books, “ESPN: The Uncensored History,” and “Those Guys Have All the Fun.” Many employees have said the isolated location in Bristol only exacerbates problems in a male-dominated workplace.

But others are speaking openly. In her complaint, Adrienne Lawrence describes a toxic environment at ESPN headquarters where men make unwanted sexual and romantic advances under the guise of networking or mentoring, and “mark” women as their own by spreading false rumors about sexual relationships with female employees.

Lawrence accused John Buccigross, a longtime SportsCenter anchor whom she viewed as a mentor, of sending unsolicited shirtless photographs of himself and calling her “dollface,” “#dreamgirl,” and “#longlegs” in messages from 2016 reviewed by the Globe. Lawrence said she tried to remain cordial in the messages but at one point responded: “You need to wear clothes, sir.”

This past year has been tough for ESPN. This behavior can only last for a time until people just can't take it anymore.

Can't take that an executive did drugs, and acknowledged having a problem? I think it's great that he's getting help.

The Boston Globe story is unfortunately all too common at companies all around the country. You combine that with being around former athletes, all that testosterone, in the middle of nowhere, and yea, that might be a tough place for women to work.

If any male employees are found to have done something wrong, they will need to go, and ESPN needs to be very careful with how they fix the problem.

That being said, ESPN's ratings decline is mostly due to cable's decline, and I highly doubt many (if any) sports fans will stop watching because an executive couldn't control his coke habit.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
Can't take that an executive did drugs, and acknowledged having a problem? I think it's great that he's getting help.

The Boston Globe story is unfortunately all too common at companies all around the country. You combine that with being around former athletes, all that testosterone, in the middle of nowhere, and yea, that might be a tough place for women to work.

If any male employees are found to have done something wrong, they will need to go, and ESPN needs to be very careful with how they fix the problem.

That being said, ESPN's ratings decline is mostly due to cable's decline, and I highly doubt many (if any) sports fans will stop watching because an executive couldn't control his coke habit.
It's great when anyone tries to help themselves.

I just wonder if he contributed to the environment.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:06 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
It's great when anyone tries to help themselves.

I just wonder if he contributed to the environment.
Absent of proof, I can't support dragging ESPN's "astmosphere" which appears to be pretty much everywhere in media including PBS as somehow being something he contributed to because he has an addiction.

I mean, the guys got a tough issue. Unless we have proof of harassment etc. coming from him as well, I don't feel we should imply or assert guilt of that just because of the other issue.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Absent of proof, I can't support dragging ESPN's "astmosphere" which appears to be pretty much everywhere in media including PBS as somehow being something he contributed to because he has an addiction.

I mean, the guys got a tough issue. Unless we have proof of harassment etc. coming from him as well, I don't feel we should imply or assert guilt of that just because of the other issue.
Not guilt... but is it a possibility...?

And I am not saying he is a harasser.

-----------------------------

One other thing to clean up - the Boston Globe put out an article I posted above about Buccigross being the subject of a complaint... now it seems to be questionable as ESPN has released texts of their conversation. The text is at the link.

ESPN Published a Text Exchange Between John Buccigross and Adrienne Lawrence

In a decision that is guaranteed to be polarizing, ESPN opted to post a lengthy text exchange between John Buccigross and Adrienne Lawrence. As the Boston Globe detailed on Wednesday, Lawrence filed a complaint with the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities after she was not retained by ESPN following a fellowship.

After publication of the Globe piece, ESPN issued a statement on Lawrence that said, “We conducted a thorough investigation and found these claims to be entirely without merit.

Adrienne Lawrence's response on Twitter is here.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:51 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:

--------------------

Isn't ESPN the right hand of the NFL commissioner? I wonder when Roger is going down...

Old 12-19-2017, 11:54 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
What would you expect when ex-meatheads who have been never been told "no" are released into the wild? Just because they now wear a suit and tie does not make them gentlemen. They are still the same bullies.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:59 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post

Yep this. Nor does a change in locker room talk culture Either it is too much or they aren't men anymore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies