Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 06:03 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Fair enough, and to each their own. I don't go out of my way to help people who wouldn't help me if the situation were reversed. Tolerance of right-wing crap is what got us in this situation in the first place, IMHO.
I understand your perspective. However, if you want to have any hope of "changing minds" on these kind of subjects, you need to be willing to help people that otherwise wouldn't help others.

Often, when people's lives are on the line, and you provide them that help that they wouldn't have otherwise, you will see them change their feelings on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 06:04 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
You are either low I.Q. or simply misinformed. Let me educate you: Baby Boomers encompass nearly two decades. We, the youngest BBs, became adults when the economy sucked. I wasn’t handed anything but a wave good-bye at 17, my old clunker, and my clothes. I got myself through college with good grades, as did my spouse.
We worked hard for everything we have. We also raised millennials who are embarrassed by most of their generation.
The tail-end baby boomers always faced a tough job market too. We always had this huge cohort of people only 10 years or so older than us filling the employment market. They were nowhere near retirement when we entered the job market, and thus our professional opportunities have often been limited. Now that they are retiring, if you are in your mid or late 50s, good luck getting hired to fill one of those openings. A millenial will easily get hired over someone in their late 50s.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:04 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
And they screwed the last nail to the coffin by electing a dotard to be our president. This generation will be the villains for future historians.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/201...-congress-debt
Vox is off the wall. All I know is that the millennials where I live seem to be huge Trump supporters while my friends and I are out there with our canes and walkers and holding up protest signs.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:06 PM

956 posts, read 1,207,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
The right-wing mindset in a nutshell. A mindset, that if followed to it's logical, selfish conclusion would leave us as bunch of scatter little tribes, killing each other, in a burned out wasteland of a nation. That's what we get from a selfish political mindset like theirs. One that would never allow us to build the nation THEY enjoy, but which will lead to its ruin, because, you know, "paying mah taxes is stealing." Bums - everyone before you paid THEIR taxes to create the nation that allowed you to be successful. Get over it and pay your fair share.

Good luck with that world view. I'm done wasting my time with you, but I hope someday you never need the empathy and charity from another that you so lack.
Indeed and why I always use "The Walking Dead" as a great analogy. It's exactly how right wingers view the country - everyone is out for themselves, everyone screwing everyone over to gain an advantage for themselves. It's always about me, me, me and screw everyone us. Once I made it, I want to close that door behind me.

Second part a lot of right wingers have sadistic way of thinking - especially those in the rural areas. Deep down they're jealous and envy of those who live in the cities who tend to be liberal - where all the wealth is, where the jobs are, where the innovation is happening, where everything is moving forward. Most of these Republican rural towns are dying a slow death and these people don't understand what is happening so Republicans with Fox News tell them it's the blacks, the Mexicans, the Jews, Americas losing their religion etc....

So you have people who are like if I'm suffering, I want others to suffer too especially those liberals. One reason they love Trump - he makes the liberals go "crazy"

Last edited by OrangeHudson; 12-20-2017 at 06:17 PM..

Old 12-20-2017, 06:07 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Do you realize the youngest BB are just 54 and we have MANY more working years left to go? You act like we are all in a home for the aging.
Unlike whining, entitled millennials, we will work as long as our health allows and continue to contribute to the federal coffers.
You can't work if no one hires you. Try being an unemployed 50-something in today's market.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:07 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I understand your perspective. However, if you want to have any hope of "changing minds" on these kind of subjects, you need to be willing to help people that otherwise wouldn't help others.

Often, when people's lives are on the line, and you provide them that help that they wouldn't have otherwise, you will see them change their feelings on the matter.
Here's the thing...

I understand your sentiment, theirs is to make it mandatory Because it feels good.

Otherwise tribal warfare and such.

My point is very simple. I don't engage in compromising behaviors that can come back and bite me in the ass at a later date. So chances of me needing help, slim to none. I calculate my risks. Sometimes missed out on opportunities. Other times made out great.

Want to help? Good. Cool. Should it be mandatory? Robin Hood economists think so. Because wealth inequality.

Wonder if they thought group projects in school that it was fair for them to pull all of the weight to get a good grade pulling the slack of the others...

Old 12-20-2017, 06:08 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Based on such an intellectual mature post, I AM a baby boomer and I HOPE to dear GOD, YOU are a millenial!
I'm a baby boomer too, and I served in the military, got a good job afterward (and paid taxes big time) and my wife and I bought a home and raised two wonderful daughters. We did not "screw America!" We are America!

Old 12-20-2017, 06:09 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
Indeed and why I always use "The Walking Dead" as a great analogy. It's exactly how right wingers view the country - everyone is out for themselves, everyone screwing everyone over to gain an advantage for themselves. It's always about me, me, me and screw everyone us. Once I made it, I want to close that door behind me.

Second part a lot of right wingers have sadistic way of thinking - especially those in the rural areas. Deep down they're jealous and envy of those who live in the cities who tend to be liberal - where all the wealth is, where the jobs are, where the innovation is happening, where everything is moving forward. Most of these Republican rural towns are dying a slow death and these people don't understand what is happening so Republicans with Fox News tell them it's the blacks, the Mexicans, the Jews, Americas losing their religion etc....

So you have people who are like if I'm suffering, I want others to suffer too especially those liberals. One reason one they love Trump - he makes the liberals go "crazy"
I'm not suffering. Nor am I closing doors behind me.

But go ahead assume away. It's worked great for rambler.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:10 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Here's the thing...

I understand your sentiment, theirs is to make it mandatory Because it feels good.

Otherwise tribal warfare and such.

My point is very simple. I don't engage in compromising behaviors that can come back and bite me in the ass at a later date. So chances of me needing help, slim to none. I calculate my risks. Sometimes missed out on opportunities. Other times made out great.

Want to help? Good. Cool. Should it be mandatory? Robin Hood economists think so. Because wealth inequality.

Wonder if they thought group projects in school that it was fair for them to pull all of the weight to get a good grade pulling the slack of the others...
As someone that works in healthcare and who knows how uncompromising and uncaring disease can be, you have a high probability of coming down with something that can easily bankrupt you and your family (assuming you want to fight it).

Just because you do everything "right" in life does not mean something terrible won't happen to you. And if/when it does, you'll be thankful that someone is there to help. Even if you don't want to admit it now.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:10 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I'm a boomer and have many friends our age....NONE OF THEM VOTED FOR trump.
Well, goody for you. We did vote for Trump, and we're proud to have been part of the Trump train that is Making America Great Again, after loser Obama "screwed America."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies