Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 01:34 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,989,593 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting article where Christian activists promote Christian nationalism in the public sphere. As the number of people classifying themselves as Christians decline in the USA, people that promote Christian nationalism are becoming increasingly out of touch with more and more Americans.

“Never in my lifetime have we had a Potus willing to take such a strong outspoken stand for the Christian faith like Donald Trump,” tweeted Franklin Graham, the son of the evangelist Billy Graham. The Dallas pastor Robert Jeffress sees a divine hand at work: “God intervened in our election and put Donald Trump in the Oval Office for a great purpose.”

But what those critics don’t recognize is that the nationalistic, race-baiting, fear-mongering form of politics enthusiastically practiced by Mr. Trump and Roy Moore in Alabama is central to a new strain of American evangelicalism. This emerging religious worldview — let’s call it “Fox evangelicalism” — is preached from the pulpits of conservative media outlets like Fox News. It imbues secular practices like shopping for gifts with religious significance and declares sacred something as worldly and profane as gun culture
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/1...CAFb%3Famp%3D1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 01:48 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,473,682 times
America’s New Religion: Fox Evangelicalism

They are pretty much America's Taliban.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:01 PM

12,045 posts, read 6,585,626 times
Good grief.
This is why so many people think liberalism is a mental disorder.

Millions of Muslims chant "Death to America" and support jihad against non-Muslims.
Millions of Muslims believe in genital mutilation of girls, depriving women of drivers licenses and voting rights, throwing homosexuals off buildings, the anhiliation of Israel and all Jews, etc etc etc.
The vast majority of the wars on this planet are from muslims fighting other Muslims or non-Muslims they despise.

But liberals want us to focus on how evil and scary Christians are, and how disturbing that FOX news sells gifts with a religious significance....

(I can not read the article unless I subscribe, so am just going on what you copied and apparently felt was important)

Old 12-23-2017, 02:08 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,473,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Good grief.
I'm a middle of the road voter. Conservative on some issues and liberal on others.

But even I can see Fox appeals to the lunatic fringe (as we used to say decades ago). And they make up issues, like whether saying "Happy Holidays" is an attack on Christmas

Tempest in a teapot, but it gets the base all ginned up ...

Old 12-23-2017, 02:11 PM

19,856 posts, read 12,130,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I'm a middle of the road voter. Conservative on some issues and liberal on others.

But even I can see Fox appeals to the lunatic fringe (as we used to say decades ago). And they make up issues, like whether saying "Happy Holidays" is an attack on Christmas

Quote:
America’s New Religion: Fox Evangelicalism

They are pretty much America’s Taliban.
Someone here is part of the lunatic fringe.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:18 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,659,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
[i] The Dallas pastor Robert Jeffress sees a divine hand at work: “God intervened in our election and put Donald Trump in the Oval Office for a great purpose.”
WOW!

Putin is god now!

these nutcases are off the wall.

the only divine purpose I can think of is god teaching us a lesson about electing immoral low-life scum, reminding us how quickly we could go down the tubes.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:23 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,453,584 times
“Never in my lifetime have we had a Potus willing to take such a strong outspoken stand for the Christian faith like Donald Trump,” tweeted Franklin Graham, the son of the evangelist Billy Graham. The Dallas pastor Robert Jeffress sees a divine hand at work: “God intervened in our election and put Donald Trump in the Oval Office for a great purpose.”

I can't remember a time during my lifetime when a liar, thief, cheat, molester, and just really dumb person became President and was then adored by people who profess to be Christians. The qualities that Trump displays are not the qualities I learned about in church or during my six years of Catholic elementary school. If Trump is truly viewed as "a divine hand at work", I gotta say, God is really screwed up.

And FOX "News" isn't news - it's right-wing propaganda.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:23 PM

12,045 posts, read 6,585,626 times
Quote:

And all the liberal MSM do it even worse -- way worse lunatic fringe

"The tax bill is Armageddon -- thousands will die"
"Trump is a secret agent of Putin"
"Trump should be assasinated and taken out"
"Let's sneak debate questions to the candidate we like"
"White males are the cause of worlds problems"
"Banana peels on a tree are too racist for blacks"
" republicans are mostly racists, homophobes, immigrant phoebes, sexist, islamaphobes and fascist deplorables"
"Muslims are terrorists because they are victims and just need jobs and love"

Old 12-23-2017, 02:29 PM

68,340 posts, read 54,462,599 times
Quote:
Good grief.

Millions of Muslims chant "Death to America" and support jihad against non-Muslims.
Millions of Muslims believe in genital mutilation of girls, depriving women of drivers licenses and voting rights, throwing homosexuals off buildings, the anhiliation of Israel and all Jews, etc etc etc.
The vast majority of the wars on this planet are from muslims fighting other Muslims or non-Muslims they despise.

But liberals want us to focus on how evil and scary Christians are, and how disturbing that FOX news sells gifts with a religious significance....

(I can not read the article unless I subscribe, so am just going on what you copied and apparently felt was important)

I think it's a mental disorder to believe Trump is a strong spokesman for the Christian faith.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:31 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,238,853 times
Quote:
And all the liberal MSM do it even worse -- way worse lunatic fringe

"The tax bill is Armageddon -- thousands will die"
"Trump is a secret agent of Putin"
"Trump should be assasinated and taken out"
"Let's sneak debate questions to the candidate we like"
"White males are the cause of worlds problems"
"Banana peels on a tree are too racist for blacks"
" republicans are mostly racists, homophobes, immigrant phoebes, sexist, islamaphobes and fascist deplorables"
"Muslims are terrorists because they are victims and just need jobs and love"
You can fill a book with all the hyperbole and falsehoods the Left and the biased liberal media have said about Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies