Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 11:03 PM

2,309 posts, read 905,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
In the first place, this is exactly what happened.
They refused to cater an event. They didn't refused to sell to the couple at all.

Quote:
In the second place, given your belief that businesses can pick and choose, this might not be the nation for you.
My belief is what the country was based on. The idea that whatever you own you control. If I decide to not serve whites then I should have that chioce. The free market will decide whether I can sustain my business with that chioce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 02:29 AM

51,671 posts, read 25,923,250 times
Maccabee 2A, sadly you have been misinformed.

The baker was not asked to cater an event. A couple customers wanted to purchase a cake, like the cakes that they sold to other customers.

Your belief is not what the country was based on. The country was based on the rule of law. Constitution. Bill of Rights. Any of that ring a bell?

Check out the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution requiring that states guarantee the same rights, privileges, and protections to all citizens.

Obviously, we have a ways to go.

But we are getting there.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:

The baker was not asked to cater an event. A couple customers wanted to purchase a cake, like the cakes that they sold to other customers.
If this is the sane event I'm thinking of then they wanted the bakery to write something on that cake. So they weren't denying service to the cuople at all just for that particular reason

Quote:
Your belief is not what the country was based on. The country was based on the rule of law. Constitution. Bill of Rights. Any of that ring a bell?
The Bill of Rights which repeatedly states that I have the right to life, liberty, and property. So yes, ojr coubtry is basedon the idea that you can do anything with your own property provided that you don't infringe on other people's rights.

Quote:
Check out the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution requiring that states guarantee the same rights, privileges, and protections to all citizens.

That's a requirement on government, not private individuals. I'm a huge advocate of the second amendment, but I can't force business owners to allow me to carry if they don't want to.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:50 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,266,510 times
It's NOT life, liberty and property. It's life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Crucial distinction.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:51 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,077,269 times
Quote:

I think freedom of religion will prove impossible to get around. The hobby lobby decision already shows what the justices believe.

Shall make no law and shall not infringe ...
Some activist judges just don't get the point.
It will get slapped down.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:27 PM

51,671 posts, read 25,923,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
If this is the sane event I'm thinking of then they wanted the bakery to write something on that cake. So they weren't denying service to the cuople at all just for that particular reason

Nope. That was another self-righteous baker. You are probably thinking about the two men in Colorado.

This case is about two women in Oregon who wanted to purchase a raspberry dream cake.

IIRC, this raspberry dream cake was one of this bakery's speciality cakes, and the mother of one of the brides had bought one in the past.

Sadly, they never got as far as discussing about writing as the baker turned them away, claiming he was a Christian. He also insulted them. Called them "abominations" as I recall.

I don't believe he was actually a Christian, a follower of Jesus Christ. At one time, I read quite a bit about Christ, and I don't ever recall anything about him encouraging people to insult others. Don't recall reading where he said anything about homosexuality either.

Christ encouraged people to be loving and accepting, not judgmental and rude.

So I'm not sure what religion this baker practices.

Does anybody know?

Old 01-15-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
It's NOT life, liberty and property. It's life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Crucial distinction.
The Constitution states "life, liberty, and property", the Declaration of Independence says "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Old 01-15-2018, 06:23 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,266,510 times
If true, I stand corrected. Thank you.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:01 PM

5,886 posts, read 3,236,692 times
They should have just made them the crappiest cake ever. Double up on the crucial ingredients. If you can leave out half the ingredients in your marriage, then surely you won't mind a cake made the same way.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:45 PM

8,597 posts, read 11,028,718 times
I did not read this thread, but I believe when any business is dealing with the public, they should leave their religious beliefs at home, and also leave the problems of the business at the business, and not bring them home.
Pretty simple rule to follow.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies