Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 10:46 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
No, I am not claiming that at all. I am simply pointing out that the problem isnt being married or not. Its not about religious wedlocks. Its about single motherhood, but people use "out-of-wedlock" as a catch-all phrase to push some type of religious agenda, perhaps inadvertently.

A child is born out of wedlock if the couple who have lived together for many years decide to marry a few months after the child is born. Thats not a freakin' problem. The problem is single motherhood, children growing up with absent fathers. So lets talk about that, and dont push religion into this.
In this case, I agree.

That said, the current system doesn't collect data on single-motherhood. It only collects data on births.

I still maintain what I said before. Go ahead and spend time within the black community and see for yourself. Most women you encounter are single moms and most men you encounter never knew their fathers. It's a vicious cycle that is a fast lane to perpetual poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 10:46 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
True, but sad, and OOW kids are more prone to live in poverty stricken households, with less upward mobility potential.
And there is little anyone could do about it. Those that are involved aren't going to listen. One reason I don't bother with the problem. I might talk about it privately with someone. However, it isn't something I can speak about all the time. I wasn't even thinking about the problem until this thread came up. I'm 31, no children, no wife, no romantic relationship of any kind. I'm as bachelor as you can get.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:48 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times
Just to add, I am seeing more professional black women who are older or simply ready to have a child going and doing just that. Not against donor situation and that results in single motherhood as well.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't know what Black people you were hanging around with. I don't doubt there are many Black women who don't know who the father of their children are. However, most Black adults I have hung out with, this was rarely the case. In most cases, they knew who the father was, at least to my knowledge. I don't know who you were hanging out with or where.
What social class are they in?

Notice how I never said "all black blah blah blah". At the time, I hung out with lower middle class to poor blacks. Inner city folks.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
And there is little anyone could do about it. Those that are involved aren't going to listen. One reason I don't bother with the problem. I might talk about it privately with someone. However, it isn't something I can speak about all the time. I wasn't even thinking about the problem until this thread came up. I'm 31, no children, no wife, no romantic relationship of any kind. I'm as bachelor as you can get.
Speaking of which, for the record in real life I never talk about this. I value my career.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:53 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times
Quote:
I don't know what Black people you were hanging around with. I don't doubt there are many Black women who don't know who the father of their children are. However, most Black adults I have hung out with, this was rarely the case. In most cases, they knew who the father was, at least to my knowledge. I don't know who you were hanging out with or where.
Agreed. The majority definitely know the father, whether or not he is present. In fact, I’ve never known any
woman who didn’t know the father of her child.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post

Notice how I never said "all black blah blah blah". At the time, I hung out with lower middle class to poor blacks. Inner city folks.
Well, I didn't grow up in the inner city. I'm a suburban/exurban kid. I come from a Black middle class family. Most of the Black persons that I became close to were middle class kids like me. In addition, Black persons I went to college with.

The inner city has a different dynamic than the suburban, middle class environments.

You didn't have to say "all Blacks". What I saw were generalizations. Notice I am very specific about who I talk about. I bring from this perspective. There are many Blacks causing the problem, and many Blacks who are not causing the problems. I try to keep the generalizations out of it.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:57 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post

You hung out in the ghetto and want to complain about how ghetto it is. Of course it's going to be the worst example of the problems of the black community. Go to Appalachia and see the white culture. Etc, etc.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Agreed. The majority definitely know the father, whether or not he is present. In fact, I’ve never known any
woman who didn’t know the father of her child.
I have heard of people not knowing who their fathers are. In my lifetime, I met maybe one or two people who didn't know who their fathers were.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
You hung out in the ghetto and want to complain about how ghetto it is. Of course it's going to be the worst example of the problems of the black community. Go to Appalachia and see the white culture. Etc, etc.
Thank you. You go to a certain place, a certain dynamic is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies