Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 01:42 PM

39,125 posts, read 51,378,265 times

Advertisements

This crash is long, long overdue. Markets (and real estate) are in bubble territory and have been since before Trump took office.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:42 PM

12,772 posts, read 8,002,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Trump's policies are ruining the economy. First, job growth slows down. Second, the stock market plunges.
Its amazing....4-5 days ago, according to some this was still Obama's economy, now suddenly its Trumps. Personally I believe its mostly neither of theirs, people spend too much time thinking the POTUS drives the market.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:43 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,152,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Lol people that knows nothing about stocks are getting all hysterical, especially Trump haters.

I love what the stock market is doing. I hope it keeps on dropping, so I can start buying more.
You should like the lunatics of bitcoin worship

Its either heavily stock market manipulation or a bigger issue a huge drop for no reason. That creates instability, people don't like when their stocks start to act volatile like Crypto currency.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:44 PM

17,690 posts, read 15,405,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
This crash is long, long overdue. Markets (and real estate) are in bubble territory and have been since before Trump took office.

at this point, we're probably heading into correction territory.. Calling it a crash is premature.

But, your basic point is valid. This is long overdue. So long as people don't go nuts and get massively spooked.. Things should stabilize sometime after a total drop of ~2500.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:45 PM

13,718 posts, read 9,049,877 times
While I agree with the general sentiment that a President does not cause the market to go up and down, one could argue that Mr. Trump is making 'the market' nervous, with his talk today of how fellow Americans (Democrats) are 'treasonous', as well as calling a United States Senator a 'liar'.

Such talk from a President does not make intelligent people feel all warm and fuzzy about the mental capacity of the Commander in Chief.

I cannot recall any prior President, going back to Nixon, using such language. Mr. Nixon may well have said such things in private, but he did not utter them in public. If any of you have examples of any President using such language, I would be glad to see your examples.

Now, I know that there are 'other factors' at play: the news that the Government will have to 'borrow' an additional 1 trillion dollars; the news that the debt ceiling will arrive quicker than imagined, the forecast for rising interest rates, etc.

However, I simply maintain that the foregoing, with Mr. Trump's crazy talk, is a factor. A reasonable president would say that the 'economy is sound' and give examples of the soundness of the economy. Yet, Mr. Trump is in his own little world, lashing out at foes, real or imagined.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:45 PM

16,382 posts, read 10,500,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Its amazing....4-5 days ago, according to some this was still Obama's economy, now suddenly its Trumps. Personally I believe its mostly neither of theirs, people spend too much time thinking the POTUS drives the market.
Tell that to the current President who took all the credit for the record highs while totally ignoring the fact that the market was already propped up by records during his predecessor's tenure. Now that the market has receded under his watch will he take ownership of that just as he tried to take all the credit for the record highs?

I think we all know that answer.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
we go by what the President said himself as recently as the State of the Union

He has repeatedly claimed credit for the surging stock market, and gave the markets a high-profile mention at his State of the Union address last week. At its recent peak, the S. & P. 500 was up 27 percent since Mr. Trump took office. But that number has slipped with the recent sell-off to roughly 20 percent.

Trump rode the coattails of a decent economy going upward know its going to get real. Maybe if he stopped taking credit for it constantly nobody would care as much when it goes down

Old 02-05-2018, 01:46 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,844,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Let it fall. A crash may be only way GOP and Wall Street abandon trump.

^
Can't get much more anti-american than that.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:49 PM

12,772 posts, read 8,002,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Tell that to the current President who took all the credit for the record highs while totally ignoring the fact that the market was already propped up by records during his predecessor's tenure. Now that the market has receded under his watch will he take ownership of that just as he tried to take all the credit for the record highs?

I think we all know that answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
we go by what the President said himself as recently as the State of the Union

He has repeatedly claimed credit for the surging stock market, and gave the markets a high-profile mention at his State of the Union address last week. At its recent peak, the S. & P. 500 was up 27 percent since Mr. Trump took office. But that number has slipped with the recent sell-off to roughly 20 percent.

Trump rode the coattails of a decent economy going upward know its going to get real. Maybe if he stopped taking credit for it constantly nobody would care as much when it goes down
Again, I don't care. My point is that I don't believe the POTUS drives the market as much as people like to play games with and pretend. And its evident that its just a completely far fetched idea on both sides, such my point that 4-5 days ago Obama supporters were claiming that this was still his economy and Trump had done nothing to help it along. Its a big old game that politicians probably call "trick the stupid gullible people and get their votes" when they aren't in front of a camera.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Again, I don't care. My point is that I don't believe the POTUS drives the market as much as people like to play games with and pretend. And its evident that its just a completely far fetched idea on both sides, such my point that 4-5 days ago Obama supporters were claiming that this was still his economy and Trump had done nothing to help it along. Its a big old game that politicians probably call "trick the stupid gullible people and get their votes" when they aren't in front of a camera.
I believe Obama fiscal year ended in 2017. Not 4-5 days ago.

Well thats how economist view it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies