Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support spending $18 billion for the first phase of the US/Mexico border wall?
Yes 40 32.26%
No 81 65.32%
Not sure 3 2.42%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 06:42 AM

13,717 posts, read 9,047,493 times

Advertisements

It does seem odd that President Trump has dropped the 'Mexico will pay for it' jazz, and his supporters act like he never made such a core of his campaign.

Regardless, such a proceeding will face tough opposition in the Senate, where the Republicans enjoy a slim 51-49 majority. Don't be too surprised if the Texas junior Senator, a Canadian by name of Ted Cruz, votes against it. Those Texas ranchers are not for such a taking of their land along the border, and Mr. Cruz is up for re-election.

As I have noted, Senator Cruz did not fare that well in the Republican Texas Presidential primary. Yes, he won, but he fell rather short of the 50 percent mark (if he had obtained 50 percent, he would have collected all of the delegate votes), which is rather shabby for a "favorite son" (or, here, "Favorite Canadian").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 06:51 AM

23,981 posts, read 12,772,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Keep believing Illegals are driving wages down ( who sets wages?)
Their employers!
If you are in agreement with a totally capitalistic system without regulation then this is what occurs.
Employers hire illegals to duck certain responsibilities and to maximize profits.
It's amazing how you blame them instead of their Employers.
Yes employers are a problem, but the major problem is the illegals, and not just with jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Well, we can have a 2 for. Cut UN funding and just implement E-verify for all employment, banking, landlords, hospitals and government agencies.
We don't need the wall. We need to take away the bait that draws the parasites. Make life impossible for them.

Then impose penalties with real teeth for those caught hiring illegals, renting to illegals, or sheltering illegals.
For example.
Get caught renting to illegals and your house is property is confiscated.
Get caught employing illegals and pay a fine of $50,000 and 1 year in prison. That includes the cheap homeowners that troll Home Depot parking lots for cheap illegal labor.
Which would be ignored in sanctuary cities/states.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:01 AM

23,981 posts, read 12,772,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I voted "no". I do not care if there is a wall or no, but I do not wish to pay for it, knowing it won't stop illegal immigration, or drug smuggling. There is a wall in Egypt/Gaza border with nearly 2000 under it. It actually makes border crossing easier because you can go underground where you won't be seen.
"Our ruling

Johnson said Israel cut its illegal immigration rate by "99 percent" by constructing a 143-mile fence along its southern border.

Israeli government data support Johnson’s statement. However, experts say the fence alone is not responsible for the dramatic decrease in illegal immigration, policies have also deterred illegal border crossings. Border security experts also caution about comparing Israel and the United States’ southern borders -- the U.S.-Mexico border is much longer than the Israel-Egypt border, terrain conditions are different and more agents would be needed to monitor the U.S. border.

Johnson’s statement is accurate, but needs additional information. We rate it Mostly True."

Border fence in Israel cut illegal immigration by 99 percent, GOP senator says | PolitiFact

Old 01-06-2018, 07:15 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,904,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I voted "no". I do not care if there is a wall or no, but I do not wish to pay for it, knowing it won't stop illegal immigration, or drug smuggling. There is a wall in Egypt/Gaza border with nearly 2000 under it. It actually makes border crossing easier because you can go underground where you won't be seen.
I disagree about making crossings easier. It would create choke points making it easier to watch.
I disagree with spending billions on a wall. Make E-verify the law of the land and enforce it with penalties with real teeth.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:16 AM

59,379 posts, read 27,528,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
For a billion and some laws you could make e-verify mandatory, and make it illegal to rent to people who were not here legally. BAM problem solved.

This idea is just idiocy. Do something effective.
Anybody with boating experience KNOWS that when the boat is leaking you STOP the leak FIRST BEFORE trying to bail your way out of trouble.

Any other idea is just idiocy.

By the way companies ARE being going after.

I am for e-verify but, am also aware that people can scam ANY SYSTEM

Look at how many illegals have fake Social Security cards.

E-verify is NOT the TOTAL answer.

Stop them BEFORE they get here makes the job much easier.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:17 AM

4,267 posts, read 3,191,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
But it's true, you will be hard pressed to find Americans, willing to get out there and do back breaking work for long hours out in the hot sun for that pay. Times have indeed change, and it's been a long time since work like that was dominated by Americans, many American today have never seen us doing that type of work. And if you do find some to give it a try, they probably won't last long.
Just for the record, my sons have a business that requires very hard, physical work under difficult conditions. Everyone of their employees are Americans and have been with them for quite awhile. The labor market here in Raleigh is tight so these employees do have other options. I contend that Americans WILL work....if wages paid are perceived to be fair for the work being performed.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:23 AM

1,225 posts, read 608,047 times
I’m wondering how they could make it illegal to rent to those not legally present without potentially losing out on rental property income from snowbirds, Europeans who come over for 3-6 months at a time and the like. There should be a way.

But as for the wall, did people honestly believe that Mexico would pay for it?

Old 01-06-2018, 07:26 AM

63,121 posts, read 29,298,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
More non-Mexicans than Mexicans were apprehended at U.S. borders in fiscal year 2016

What we know about illegal immigration from Mexico | Pew Research Center

Good luck holding Mexico accountable for the actions of non-Mexicans.

And to forestall the inevitable, also good luck with telling Mexico to do a better job of securing its borders than the US has been able to do with their own

These non-Mexicans came through Mexico's southern border then through ours so yes, Mexico should be held accountable and most illegal aliens here are Mexicans.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:28 AM

63,121 posts, read 29,298,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Why am I paying for this again? Trump promised to have MEXICO pay for it right?

Phase I literally costs almost what we spend on the entire budget for curing diseases like cancer, diabetes, alzheimer's, parkinson - stuff that costs the country trillions of dollars in health care.

Have you ever questioned why you are having to pay your share of the over $100 billion a year that illegal aliens costs us? Probably not, and why not since you're so concerned about costs.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:29 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,904,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
These non-Mexicans came through Mexico's southern border then through ours so yes, Mexico should be held accountable and most illegal aliens here are Mexicans.
Not only do they travel through Mexico, but often with the assistance of the Mexican government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies