Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 07:14 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,071,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Once again, the wall hasn't even been built yet but you and yours have decided that Mexico won't be paying for it in some way or form. How does that work in your head? As for me, for the umpteenth time I don't put a price on our national security. If it comes out of our taxes then so be it. It's still cheaper than the $100 billion a year that illegal aliens cost us and will help prevent criminals and terrorists from getting into our country.
Reminds me of the Wimpy character in Popeye: "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."

Nope, money up front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 07:15 AM

62,921 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If Mexico sends us the money, then build the wall.

The wall will be pointless as drugs and desperate people will find their way here, regardless.

We all know this. Even the ones lying about it know this.

The wall will stop most illegal immigration. I have proven it over and over in here. You anti-wall people sound like a bunch of parrots in here in spite of the proof that I have provided that walls do work. So unless it doesn't stop 100% of illegal entry it's pointless? WTH wrong with you people? You can't even do the math...$25 billion for the wall vs $100 billion for illegal aliens every single year. We have a national security issue here and all you and yours do is cry about who is going to pay to secure our border? Unbelievable!

Old 01-08-2018, 07:21 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,803,785 times
BTW, read recently where asylum-seekers are jumping the current wall to make their way to the prototypes where they turn themselves in front of witnesses.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:21 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,452,732 times
Quote:
The wall will stop most illegal immigration. I have proven it over and over in here.
Nope. We already have very good border walls and fences and a very competent team patrolling. We can improve upon all of that by adding more personnel to patrol and cameras to watch.

Most illegal immigrants come in legally and overstay, and they come from all over the world. That issue can be addressed without a pile of concrete.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
BTW, read recently where asylum-seekers are jumping the current wall to make their way to the prototypes where they turn themselves in front of witnesses.

Are they jumping these walls? I don't think so!

Where U.S.-Mexico border fence is tall, it works

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=5323928

Old 01-08-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Nope. We already have very good border walls and fences and a very competent team patrolling. We can improve upon all of that by adding more personnel to patrol and cameras to watch.

Most illegal immigrants come in legally and overstay, and they come from all over the world. That issue can be addressed without a pile of concrete.

No, only in small sections do we have the good walls. Much of the border isn't like that. They are akin to flimsy fences. Who said that a wall will stop visa over stayers? The wall isn't about them but border jumpers and there are still hundreds of thousands of illegals getting in that way. How many times do I have to repeat that visa over stayers will have to be addressed in a different way? But does that mean we should ignore the border jumpers? WTH?

https://www.investors.com/politics/e...mplementation/

http://theweek.com/articles/666089/t...-border-mexico

Old 01-08-2018, 09:43 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
The wall will stop most illegal immigration. I have proven it over and over in here. You anti-wall people sound like a bunch of parrots in here in spite of the proof that I have provided that walls do work. So unless it doesn't stop 100% of illegal entry it's pointless? WTH wrong with you people? You can't even do the math...$25 billion for the wall vs $100 billion for illegal aliens every single year. We have a national security issue here and all you and yours do is cry about who is going to pay to secure our border? Unbelievable!
What is the national security issue that is so, very urgent?

Listen, I could 1M to have my house and everything in it completely sanitized, or I can spend $500 to have my house cleaned like a normal person.

It's kinda the same thing. The cost for the wall is not reasonable for what it will accomplish. It is paying way to much and receiving way too little. It's like the loan officer telling you there are no costs to refinance, when actually the charges are rolled up into your loan balance. They "say" you pay nothing, but you ARE.

I can guarantee you, if the wall is built, when all is said and done... it will cost WAY, WAY more than 25B.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-08-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What is the national security issue that is so, very urgent?

Listen, I could 1M to have my house and everything in it completely sanitized, or I can spend $500 to have my house cleaned like a normal person.

It's kinda the same thing. The cost for the wall is not reasonable for what it will accomplish. It is paying way to much and receiving way too little. It's like the loan officer telling you there are no costs to refinance, when actually the charges are rolled up into your loan balance. They "say" you pay nothing, but you ARE.

I can guarantee you, if the wall is built, when all is said and done... it will cost WAY, WAY more than 25B.

The former FBI Director has stated that those from known terrorist countries have slipped right in with Mexicans looking for work and disappeared into our country. Mexicans and other illegals are economic terrorists and what about the criminals that are sneaking through? I am done talking to people like you who are in deep denial of how well the good walls work and claim that the costs are not worth it. You provide no proof that the wall will cost over $25 billion and certainly not the $100 billion a year that illegals cost us. You anti-wall people are being ridiculous! We are only talking about completing the 700 mile long wall along the most porous areas of our border already approved by congress in 2006. Yet you whine and complain.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:21 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Only a tiny fraction of crime comes from illegal immigrants.

https://www.factcheck.org/2017/08/wi...rug-smuggling/

Most drugs enter our country via legal ports of entry, not via illegal treking across the desert. Drug dealers will eventually find a work-around.

As for the non-drug stuff..

It's a huge stretch to compare illegal immigration to theft. Most illegal immigrants are here for work that the native-born refuse to do (pick fruit, work in poultry plants, domestic workers, etc). If the native-born aren't taking those jobs anyway, then how can the illegals be "stealing" those jobs? That's like saying an out of town person is dating a girl none of the local boys like, then claiming he's "stealing our girl" from us. How can they be stealing her when nobody is going for her in the first place?

Even in jobs with somewhat more native-born (construction, f.ex.) the answer is to start enforcing laws against companies and people hiring the illegals. If the feds dis-incentivize businesses from hiring illegals, then the illegals will have a hard time getting jobs, which likewise adds more disincentives to immigrate illegally here.

So if illegal immigrants aren't thieves stealing jobs, then what can they be? A security threat?

Nope, I don't see that either. Any enemies we have can penetrate our country easily enough, especially if in their national intelligence service forged papers and digital data showing them as working for a company, etc. Why would the agencies of China, Russia, Iran, etc. resort to having their agents rough-trek it through the desert? So show me evidence of foreign agents or terrorists entering our country via this route from US government sources (not Breitbart, WND, or prepper sites but .gov . .edu, or credible .orgsites).

Or could illegal immigrants somehow be causing the Feds or state govt's to violate our rights to life, fair trial, property, ability to vote, or our civil liberties? BTW, voter fraud by illegals is just a paranoid myth, so don't pull that one on me. There was no bussing in of illegals to vote, nor was there some wholesale effort by illegals to vote in California.

At the end of the day, there's a price for extreme crackdowns on illegal immigration, and that price is making it excessively hard for legal immigrants to enter into this country - a disproportionate number of whom are a source of innovation. Let's just face it that there's no way to zero out illegal immigration, even assuming there are better ways to do so.
I'm sorry, but you're 'not seeing' a problem with illegal immigrants suggests to me that the lens caps are still on your binoculars, you might want to remove them. Regardless, the fact remains the same...illegal immigrants are in America illegally (and frankly, if they're here illegally, I don't give a 'horse's patooti' what country they come from). I guarantee you that you or any other American living and working (regardless of your trade) in any other country ILLEGALLY would not have the same luxury of that country 'turning a blind eye' to your presence and not enforcing their laws.

Their living here, working and 'starting' their families here is a violation of our laws and unfortunately once a fertile female begins her family on American soil...let's just say that's the 'loophole' and I don't see a way around it. Their children, born here, are American citizens, attend American schools, learn the English language (my children have never been afforded the opportunity to learn a second language in primary school and I have been paying taxes long before they were born), buy homes, pay them off and live the 'American Dream' initially with a 'leg up' from the American taxpayer...you know the ones who live here, work hard to better their lives and pay taxes, typically without the proverbial 'leg up' to boot.

Truncating the label applied to them as "undocumented immigrants" or "unauthorized" is highly offensive and a politically correct preference so as not to offend the delicate sensibilities of the illegals and their advocates. It's just as simple as that. Illegals do not consider themselves as breaking the law but rather they are just 'seeking a better life' for themselves. I want a better life too and I am sure that 99% of Americans would like 'better' lives as well and many work hard to stay afloat.

And "at the end of the day the price is making it excessively hard for legal immigrants to enter into this country" is termed as vetting (critical appraisal) and the American public should not have a problem with that and I would think that they would not only expect it but demand that from their government.

Illegal Alien Crime and Violence by the Numbers: We’re All Victims

At first glance, the statistics are jolting. According to the United Nations, 97 percent of the illegal immigrants who enter the U.S. clandestinely do so across the almost 2,000-mile border between the U.S. and Mexico, but only 20 percent of those who cross the border illegally are caught.

https://www.constitutionparty.com/il...e-all-victims/

Old 01-08-2018, 10:22 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Well, his campaign promise was 4B, then he moved it to 6, then less than 10N, then McConnel said 12 to 15B, Homeland security cost the materials at 21B..... you see trend? Did you forget inflation, and the cost of emminent (butchered that word) domain?

Have you seen many large construction projects come in on budget? Standard practice among contractors - bid low, submit change orders.

I really doubt any of this is going to happen anyway, maybe a few wall pieces here and there. I can't get too wound up over something that probably won't happen.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies