Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 11:38 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times

Advertisements

The OP is correct.

Hey I have smoked my share of pot in life and still like to burn one every now and then. It's no damn good for me but the risk is mine.

I think it should be legal. However, like Immigration, states cannot simply decide they no longer respect the law of the land.

Congress- Make it legal. Let's have the national debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 11:38 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
What is more dangerous is a government that has excessive power. The power to regulate what its citizens put into their own bodies is a VERY dangerous power for government to have. What's next? Making alcohol illegal? We tried that, and it certainly worked out pretty well, didn't it?

It's not the government's job to protect people from harming themselves. We can require sellers of marijuana to provide warning labels and such just like we do tobacco companies. I'm sure the local dealer selling illegal weed provides that info to people too, right? We can also then stop throwing people in jail for the "crime" of sitting at home, bothering nobody, and smoking a joint.
In the final analysis that is the only argument that is meaningful. It really doesn't matter if weed is healthy or not.

Governments have no right to tell me what I can eat, drink or smoke. Nor to tell me how I can spend my money or who I can have sex with (adults).

Old 01-08-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Congress- Make it legal. Let's have the national debate.
We have already had the national debate. And the people of the USA overwhelmingly oppose the federal laws on the books.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:41 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You are correct. And the only congressman that is trying to get a law passed to legalize marijuana is Rand Paul.
That's not true:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...ouse-bill/1227 <--- Thomas Garrett (Republican)

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...ouse-bill/1841 <--- Jared Polis (Democrat)

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...nate-bill/1689 <---Cory Booker (Democrat)

The problem is they have little chance of getting passed, regardless of public opinion.

Here's what typically happens:

03/16/2017 Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations.

03/03/2017 Referred to the Subcommittee on Health.

02/27/2017 Referred to House Judiciary

02/27/2017 Referred to House Energy and Commerce

02/27/2017 Referred to the Committee on Energy and Commerce, and in addition to the Committee on the Judiciary, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned.

By that time, enough corrupt lawmakers will have had a chance to kill it, so it dies.

PUBLIC OPINION DOES NOT MATTER WHEN IT COMES TO MARIJUANA!

OP, are you listening???

Last edited by Raddo; 01-08-2018 at 11:58 AM..

Old 01-08-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I would like to ask you folks that are for legalization AND supports this move by Sessions:

If Sessions were to actually send in federal troops to start dismantling the established marijuana industry and making arrests, would you still rally behind him and those actions as you are doing now?
Hypotheticals are a waste of time. We all know that is not going to happen. In fact, I would be surprised if Sessions does anything on this topic.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
That's not true:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...ouse-bill/1227

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...ouse-bill/1841

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...nate-bill/1689 <---Cory Booker

The problem, they have little chance of getting passed, regardless of public opinion.
Wow! That's good news!

So the list includes;

Rand Paul
Thomas Garrett
Kevin Brady
Cory Booker

Interesting that three of them are Republicans.

So if 70% of Democratic voters support legalization why don't the Dem congressmen support it?

Old 01-08-2018, 11:51 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,722 times
Quote:
So if 70% of Democratic voters support legalization why don't the Dem congressmen support it?
Money.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:02 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
Wow! That's good news!

So the list includes;

Rand Paul
Thomas Garrett
Kevin Brady
Cory Booker

Interesting that three of them are Republicans.

Sometimes democrats like to vocally support something but then do nothing to actually put their words in to action so that they have a bogeyman they can blame the republicans for. In this case people will blame republicans even if both sides fail to act. They would rather have people angry at republicans over illegal weed than satisfied with anyone over legal weed.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:14 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
We have already had the national debate. And the people of the USA overwhelmingly oppose the federal laws on the books.

Not in the House or Senate we haven't.

Such laws are the province of the Federal Government. That is the where the laws are made.

You and I cannot legitimately decide we do not agree with said law and proceed to ignore it.

Let Congress debate it on the floor. I will support legalization and so will you.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:17 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
You and I cannot legitimately decide we do not agree with said law and proceed to ignore it.
Quote:
However, like Immigration, states cannot simply decide they no longer respect the law of the land.
Indeed, however, the law of the land says it is the DEA's job to schedule individual drugs. The head of the DEA reports to Sessions.

I think that Congress should proactively address the issue. However I also think that the executive branch (past and present) has already been given clear legal authority by congress to legalize cannabis, and has chosen not to, and falsely and deliberately given the public the impression that they "can't".

The Obama administration chose not to legalize cannabis because they didn't want to, not because they required Congressional action. Same with the Trump administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies