Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 07:11 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I don't think anyone is claiming that it started only for Trump.

It's an extension of the same tactics that the Russians started using in the 1950's, just far more sophisticated.

It probably got ramped up during the invasion of Ukraine; and it is probably used heavily in bordering nations like Estonia, Belarus, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is natural for a Trump loyalist to simply deny reality, because denial is their safe-space.

Russian troll factory expands its workspace threefold in 2018 - Euromaidan Press

https://www.unian.info/world/2338577...dan-press.html

Inside the Russian 'troll factory': How Putin's unlikely cyber recruits deployed waves of fake news articles, memes and divisive social media posts in the Kremlin's information war on the West

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Russian troll factory where recruits put out fake news | Daily Mail Online

Russian troll factory paid US activists to help fund protests during election

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ts-us-election

Internet Research Agency
The Internet Research Agency (IRA), also known as Glavset[2] and known in Russian Internet slang as the Trolls from Olgino or kremlebots, is a Russian company, based in Saint Petersburg, that engages in online influence operations on behalf of the Russian government.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Research_Agency

Post 5, clearly the OP thinks this is made just for trump....

Old 01-10-2018, 07:13 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Fascinating article on sowing conflict using fake photos and news coverage.

russian troll farm sows discord with fake photos | Idaho Statesman
That is the same troll farm which I mentioned in the OP. They just tripled their office space, so I guess they will be hiring soon. The starting wage for a junior troll of $1000 per month, and more experienced trolls get more.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:13 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Post 5, clearly the OP thinks this is made just for trump....
No, Finn is just commenting on the same thing I am commenting on --- that y'all Trumpsters are immediately getting defensive and dismissing the impact of Russian propaganda tactics, because you think this topic is all about Trump.

It isn't about Trump at all. It is about manipulation of popular opinion by a foreign government, using social media. Like I said earlier it probably got ramped up with the Russian gov't trying to manage public opinion about the Crimean invasion.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:15 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Don’t forget the many oddly obtuse pro-Trump regulars on this website. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were from those Russian fake news farms.
They could be but I think they are more likely victims to it.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:16 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
No, Finn is just commenting on the same thing I am commenting on --- that y'all Trumpsters are getting defensive and siding with Russian propaganda tactics, because you think this topic is all about Trump.

It isn't about Trump at all. It is about manipulation of popular opinion by a foreign government, using social media.

Then why mention trump at all?

And I agree with you, it's been happening a long time....longer than most have been born including me. However, I don't side with Russia and because you don't know what sarcasm is and what an actual defense is.....is not my problem...

Old 01-10-2018, 07:18 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone is claiming that it started only for Trump. It's an extension of the same propaganda tactics that the Russians started using in the 1930's, just far more sophisticated.

It probably got ramped up during the invasion of Ukraine; and it was probably used heavily in bordering nations like Estonia, Belarus, etc. in 2014-2015. This is an issue that exists independent of Donald Trump and the 2016 election, or any sort of inquiry into Trump.
Correct. No one said it started just for Trump. They used the agency heavily to get him in the WH, but no one claimed it started in 2016. As the article explains they have a department for Ukraine, and a department for US, and other departments, like one for EU, which was utilized during Brexit.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Actually -- I think you were the first person in the thread to bring up Trump, now that I re-read the first few posts.

You commented :

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee
And of course, this all just happened within the last 18 months....

Old 01-10-2018, 07:20 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Quote:

And I agree with you, it's been happening a long time....longer than most have been born including me. However, I don't side with Russia and because you don't know what sarcasm is and what an actual defense is.....is not my problem...
Trump mentions it himself at least once-a-week.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:21 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Interesting look into a Russian troll factory. An experienced troll gets paid about $2000 a month, which is pretty good in Russia. From what I have read they have just moved into a larger building to expand their operations.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/rus...actory-n821486

In November, Facebook testified to Congress that it had linked over 80,000 pieces of divisive content back to the agency, and Twitter provided the Senate Intelligence Committee with almost 3,000 accounts linked to the IRA.

“These troll farms can produce such a volume of content with hashtags and topics that it distorts what is normal organic conversation,” Clint Watts, senior fellow at the Foreign Policy Research Institute, told NBC News. “It’s called computational propaganda, the volume [at] which they push, false information or true, makes things appear more believable than they might normally be in an organic conversation.”
Fascinating article.

Those on one floor would repost and link to articles and posts written on another floor.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Correct. No one said it started just for Trump. They used the agency heavily to get him in the WH, but no one claimed it started in 2016. As the article explains they have a department for Ukraine, and a department for US, and other departments, like one for EU, which was utilized during Brexit.
That's a good point, I hadn't even thought about Brexit.

Weakining NATO and weakning the EU would be Russia's prime objectives, so anything along those lines makes a good target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies