Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Trump's statement?
Yes 229 48.21%
No 246 51.79%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 11:55 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
please, take American history.
Here's some American history.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

And, a bit more American history. At the foot of the Statue of Liberty, a national monument, you can find these words:

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

We are a lesser country if we forget the foundation we were built on.

That does NOT mean let we should allow every person who wants to immigrate to do so. It DOES mean recognizing that America has always been a country of immigrants from sh*tholes. That's why people come to America...to build a better life.

God bless America.

Last edited by RosieSD; 01-12-2018 at 12:04 AM..

Old 01-11-2018, 11:58 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If the US goes broke it won't be because of welfare. "About 9 percent of the federal budget in 2016, or $366 billion, supported programs that provide aid (other than health insurance or Social Security benefits) to individuals and families facing hardship. Spending on safety net programs increased by only $4 billion between 2015 and 2016, and declined as a share of the budget, as the economy continued to improve."
https://www.cbpp.org/research/federa...tax-dollars-go
So you agree with him, that people of other races can't support themselves? Maybe you should look that up:
"Sub-Saharan immigrants have much higher educational attainment compared to the overall foreign- and native-born populations. In 2015, 39 percent of sub-Saharan Africans (ages 25 and over) had a bachelor’s degree or higher, compared to 29 percent of the total foreign-born population and 31 percent of the U.S.-born population. Nigerians and South Africans were the most highly educated, with 57 percent holding at least a bachelor’s degree, followed by Kenyans (44 percent), Ghanaians (40 percent), Liberians (32 percent), and Ethiopians (29 percent). "https://www.migrationpolicy.org/arti...-united-states
I will have to disagree with you, Trump proved himself to be a racist today. There is no mistake about it, he didn't misspeak, he said he wants Norwegian immigrants, not ones from $hithole countries like Africa (which is a continent not a country) and Haiti. You know what they say, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
Half of all African and Carribean migrants are on welfare. 73% of central/south americans are on welfare.

https://cis.org/Report/Welfare-Use-I...ive-Households

Trump also proposed increasing immigration from East Asia. This has nothing to do with race and everything to do with looking out for our best economic interests. Importing poor people(whether that have some phony African college degree or not) is not in our best interests. With automation we have a shrinking number of low skilled work available that Americans have to compete for. We also do not have an infinite amount of resources. We need people who are going to be net contributors, people with needed skills, people with capital.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:00 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times
I hope you realize that in many advanced countries in the world, America is considered a ****hole too. But they are usually decent and polite enough not to say it to an American's face. And not one of their national leaders would be enough of a philistine to say it in an official meeting.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:03 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Here's some American history. At the foot of the Statue of Liberty, a national monument, you can find these words:

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Didn't realize this country revolved around someone's 2nd-rate poetry, at a time where there was no welfare state.

At the end of the day, this country was built on laws, not emotions, like it or not.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:05 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,913 times
The ironic part in all this is Norweigians probably think the U.S is a S-Hole, lol.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:06 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Didn't realize this country revolved around someone's 2nd-rate poetry, at a time where there was no welfare state.

At the end of the day, this country was built on laws, not emotions, like it or not.
You missed the first quote. It is from the Declaration of Independence.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:06 AM

23,593 posts, read 12,535,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
That is sad.

I do feel for the people there and elsewhere. Life is tough enough without having corrupt governments, and with our own government going in to make things worse for the people(along the corrupt people who take money into their foundations for these places, but don't deliver). But, we can't take everyone in. The people in those countries need to stay and work towards putting their governments back on track, instead of fleeing elsewhere.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:07 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Nigerians do well, but the others dont. Close to half of the African migrants(48%) living in the United States are on welfare. Over half of Carribean migrants are on welfare(51%).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Half of all African and Carribean migrants are on welfare. 73% of central/south americans are on welfare.

Trump also proposed increasing immigration from East Asia. This has nothing to do with race and everything to do with looking out for our best economic interests. Importing poor people(whether that have some phony African college degree or not) is not in our best interests. With automation we have a shrinking number of low skilled work available that Americans have to compete for. We also do not have an infinite amount of resources.
Do you have any recent statistics?

LOL @ phony African degree. African are overrepresented at elite universities in the U.S.

As far as wanting people from Norway and other European nations, government assistance is the norm for most of them. Norwegian welfare is said to be among the best. So let Trump invite them to influence the system here. Obviously that is what he and you would prefer.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:11 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
This is such a bull**** comment the places with the highest minimum wage in the US also have the highest poverty rate and highest cost of living. Florida and Texas have the fastest growing wages with very low minimum wages and very low cost of living. It's the government who ruined Haiti through corruption and mismanagement. Raising the minimum wage will only cause more unemployment there, government fixing prices doesnt work.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:15 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Its one thing to talk about a different immigration policy, and its something completely different to dehumanize entire countries of people. This is not the America I was born in. Its becoming something much more cruel and coarse.
Why are we going to pretend that countries like Haiti and some of those in Africa and Latin America aren't completely different in many ways from our own? Why are we going to act like they aren't second or third world countries and acknowledge that maybe allowing thousands and thousands of people in from those types of countries will not actually help improve ours?

I think he was brash and harsh af with his word choice but when isn't he? Why do we focus on that rather than the substance of what he is actually saying and considering for even a moment whether he actually has a point? It's far easier to get offended at how he has been since the days of his campaign (so nothing new) than to sit back and wonder if there's any valid point to what he is saying, because recognizing that then presents a whole other set of issues and points people don't want to deal with or debate, I'm guessing because in reality they see some truth in what he said but don't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies