Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 08:10 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
This. People don't realize what is on the near horizon, and self-driving cars are one of those things. Things are changing fast in the tech world. Look up connected cities. The Internet of Things is going to change everything, and it's coming at us fast. The majority of people have no clue.
There are two main views one is utopian, the other dystopian.

So there are mixed feeling regarding the future and autnomous vehices and in cities better public transport is seen as the way forward rather than more car dependence, however taxis do form an important role within the public transport sphere, as would autnomous buses and trains.

How the Government's plan for autonomous vehicles could be driving us towards a dystopian future | The Independent

Are we going too fast on driverless cars? | Science | AAAS

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-15-2018 at 08:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 08:22 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-carefu...001531700.html

GM executives have said they planned to introduce a large-scale fleet of self-driving taxis by 2019, a time frame some analysts consider ambitious.

I assumed this transition would happen within a decade. But within a year? Amazing how fast technology is advancing.
Yes, this has been in the R&D stages for many years. Its literally right around the corner. The conversion will happen first to tractor trailer trucks from what Ive been reading.

Personally I think it will be a good thing, one it goes mandatory, there will not any more traffic jams, traffic lights, no more need for full coverage insurance, no need for police to be out patrolling the streets, no more traffic accidents, offenses or DUIs.

When my grandkids are grown up, they will be looking back and joking about the 'old days', when people had to drive manually!

Old 01-15-2018, 08:26 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Within 10 years we will probably be sharing the road with autonomous vehicles but I think and certainly hope any transition to a state where such vehicles comprise a majority of vehicles is a generation away if not more, especially if these vehicles are going to have no controls for humans to use in certain situations. I can see it being useful for public transit and taxi situations, when the technology is perfected, and also on certain major highways and commuter routes, but there will always be situations where a human driver would be desired especially as it pertains to personal vehicles. Or if not always, then certainly for the near term future, as in most of our natural lifetimes.

GM introducing driverless taxis by next year will be an interesting experiment but I wouldn't expect it to become too widespread just yet.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:27 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-carefu...001531700.html

GM executives have said they planned to introduce a large-scale fleet of self-driving taxis by 2019, a time frame some analysts consider ambitious.

I assumed this transition would happen within a decade. But within a year? Amazing how fast technology is advancing.
I can tell you the insurance industry is taking all of this very seriously. It won't just impact taxi drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
What will the middle eastern immigrants do?
What will all the white folk do that drive taxi and/or Uber for extra money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Plus they'll have to wait until enough of us "old school" types die off before they have a sufficient customer base. I don't think I could ever trust a "self-driving" car.
Agree. We'll see what happens.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:30 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yes, this has been in the R&D stages for many years. Its literally right around the corner. The conversion will happen first to tractor trailer trucks from what Ive been reading.

Personally I think it will be a good thing, one it goes mandatory, there will not any more traffic jams, traffic lights, no more need for full coverage insurance, no need for police to be out patrolling the streets, no more traffic accidents, offenses or DUIs.

When my grandkids are grown up, they will be looking back and joking about the 'old days', when people had to drive manually!
Large numbers of Millennials already eschewing the expense and hassle of car ownership, opting to use Uber and Zipcar instead, so the writing is on the wall. The upcoming generations aren't as in love with cars and driving as their predecessors were.

But I suppose buggy manufacturers didn't believe those newfangled horseless carriages would ever catch on, either.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:32 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Yes there are numbers.

Even as of early 2016 Google's self driving cars were safer than human drivers. At that point they had logged over a million miles. And none of the accidents were caused by the self driving cars but by humans hitting them. If all there were was self driving cars there would be almost no accidents.

Study Says Self-Driving Cars Are Safer Than Human-Driven Vehicles: Should You Believe It? : Car Tech : Tech Times

And in 2017 they made advancements that made the google cars much safer.
A million miles of self-driving cars compared to how many miles of manually driven cars?

Self-driving cars are basically robots, their intelligence only goes so far. Throw a new situation at them and they might fail completely. I don't trust robots.

And on a more general level, I think it is one of those cases where we are just not wise enough to simply say, hey, the status quo may not be perfect, but it is OK, let's leave it at that.

Also, many Americans say they like to drive and thus avoid public transport, so, should people one day no longer drive themselves, why not switch to public transport in the first place?

Old 01-15-2018, 08:34 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Large numbers of Millennials already eschewing the expense and hassle of car ownership, opting to use Uber and Zipcar instead, so the writing is on the wall. The upcoming generations aren't as in love with cars and driving as their predecessors were.

But I suppose buggy manufacturers didn't believe those newfangled horseless carriages would ever catch on, either.
I agree that the writing is in the wall with regard to my son's generation. He lives in Chicago and is a fan of public transportion and/or Uber. He says he doesn't miss driving at all - though he doesn't seem to mind driving when he comes home.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I can tell you the insurance industry is taking all of this very seriously. It won't just impact taxi drivers.

What will all the white folk do that drive taxi and/or Uber for extra money?

Agree. We'll see what happens.
The insurance industry has the most to loose with this, if humans are no longer doing the driving, they cannot really expect people to carry full coverage insurance.

Some level of insurance will still be needed, like for hail, tree limbs falling, etc, but not the full coverage that is required right now.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:40 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The insurance industry has the most to loose with this, if humans are no longer doing the driving, they cannot really expect people to carry full coverage insurance.

Some level of insurance will still be needed, like for hail, tree limbs falling, etc, but not the full coverage that is required right now.
You would still have to insure your vehicle to carry passengers and would pay road tax, indeed more taxes may be applied to such vehicles especially in relation to congested cities. As for taxis there would be numerous other taxes and regulations that could be applied.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
A million miles of self-driving cars compared to how many miles of manually driven cars?

Self-driving cars are basically robots, their intelligence only goes so far. Throw a new situation at them and they might fail completely. I don't trust robots.
What do you think all the auto manufacturers have been doing for the past 5+ years? They have been testing these things and working the bugs out.

Self drive will really only be totally effective if its mandatory, wont work well if there are still human drivers on the road too, human drivers are too unpredictable, computers are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies