Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 04:42 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,495,351 times

Advertisements

I hope they do and it fails epically. Have you seen the 19 Silverados? They are uglier than sin! I thought they goofed hardcore on the Camaro...

Pfft who was drunk at the design team for this thing?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 04:51 PM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
You are certainty about this subject and predicting the future are astounding. Self driving cars have been around the corner since the 1920's since prognosticators like yourself predicted that radio controlled cars would replace human cars in the next couple of years. We all know how that turned out. Just because uber said it doesn't mean it true.
Now do I believe there will their will be self driving cars in the future, yes and that they will substantially replace human drivers, but I will make a large bet they not replace human drivers next year. But in the end I have no idea and neither do you.
Your post is so silly why need to respond. No one needs to predict anything. The future is now. You probably are a moon landing denier. Everything is fake news. Nothing has really changed since the 1920's. Sure.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I was in downtown Tempe, AZ on Saturday and there were at least a half-dozen new Uber Volvo XC90's equipped with with LIDAR and cameras (all with human drivers) prowling the streets. I'm assuming they were in sucking up data mode until the day they flip the switch and go autonomous.
It seems like they are taking the time to get it right. Sky Harbor has those autonomous trams that take you to the terminal. Its simpler technology than driving on street it works smoothly. Look at the train that crashed near Seattle. That should never have happened but it did. Perhaps autonomous trains might be a good idea.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:58 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
You should go hop over into the Automotive Forum and read all the self-driving threads and see that a vast majority of posters don't believe self driving will be thing for at least another 20 years, if not longer.
It isn't just the technology....it's the coding of those things and how you assess risk management, etc. Insurance companies are going to demand cars be coded to always choose the safest course of action. That action may be to risk the people in one car losing their life in order to save the majority of lives. That's just one of many issues to address. I know I'm not ready yet to allow some algorithm to decide my fate.
This is far from being a thing....

Old 01-15-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It isn't just the technology....it's the coding of those things and how you assess risk management, etc. Insurance companies are going to demand cars be coded to always choose the safest course of action. That action may be to risk the people in one car losing their life in order to save the majority of lives. That's just one of many issues to address. I know I'm not ready yet to allow some algorithm to decide my fate.
This is far from being a thing....
How many times in your life have you been driving down the road and suddenly you are faced with either killing one person or several?

Closest I have ever had was decided whether I should hit the brakes to miss a squirrel running in front of me. There were no cars behind me so I did.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:24 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
How many times in your life have you been driving down the road and suddenly you are faced with either killing one person or several?

Closest I have ever had was decided whether I should hit the brakes to miss a squirrel running in front of me. There were no cars behind me so I did.
True it is rare that kind of risk assessment has to happen but will people be willing to give up that control for the computer to make the choice for them.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:35 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,070,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
No they have not been around the corner since 1920. What nonsense. Even in the 1980's everyone knew it wasnt around the corner.

Next year? maybe some good trials going. A decade from now though? I'd bet money that more then 80% of vehicle production will be self driving.
Yep. And it will make me sad, because I love to drive. But my own personal likes and wants don't cause me to deny reality, as so many on this thread are doing. We aren't going to stop this from happening because we don't want it to happen.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:30 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-carefu...001531700.html

GM executives have said they planned to introduce a large-scale fleet of self-driving taxis by 2019, a time frame some analysts consider ambitious.

I assumed this transition would happen within a decade. But within a year? Amazing how fast technology is advancing.
Self-driving taxis will be big, but I'm really holding out for the self-driving tractor trailers. That will be a big technological leap that will likely bring down costs.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:45 PM

45,207 posts, read 26,424,445 times
Maybe its me, but whenever the subject of self driving cars comes up I think of the stories of self-guided roombas running over dog poop and smearing it all over the house.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:52 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Maybe its me, but whenever the subject of self driving cars comes up I think of the stories of self-guided roombas running over dog poop and smearing it all over the house.
That may just be you, Frank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies