Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 06:13 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I think Californians need to recuse themselves from this thread -- they just can't be objective. The first time I went to LA I thought it was horrible. LAX was out of the 1960s and hadn't been updated since. LA was shockingly depressing with many homes with bars on them and homes / apartments were old and outdated. It really reminded me of cuba. But you couldn't really explain it to people from there because they hadn't really been out of the State.

I think California thought Marijuana was going to get them out of it but I half suspect that is why Sessions came out and threw a wrench in their plans by casting doubt on legal use. That could really put a crimp in the revenues.

I would always bet on California though for the weather.
Bars on windows have been commonplace in CA for many years. As for the weather, January and February are the only times of year I really miss it. But for the rest of the year ...green is beautiful, and they really don't have much green in California. They almost won't let you have a lawn anymore, and ice plant just doesn't make it, though the flowers are pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 06:14 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I lived in California for 30 years, dude, and my wife is a native San Diegan. Don't call me an "out of stater." We left when things were really showing signs of going down hill, and it was my wife's idea (a native).

Besides, we keep in touch with many of our former friends and neighbors. My kids still keep in touch with their childhood friends, some of whom still live in California.

And, by the way, California is no longer the "economic engine" of the country. Those days are long gone.
Why make stuff up?

California Leads U.S. Economy, Away From Trump Whatever the president says, this state does the opposite. It's working.

"The capitalist juggernaut that is California helps explain why the state's per capita income increased 9.5 percent since 2015, the most of any state and the most since 2012, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Far from losing jobs overseas, California keeps creating them with an unemployment rate declining to 4.9 percent from 5.7 percent in 2016, faster than the national average."

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...way-from-trump

Old 01-16-2018, 06:17 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So you want unions gotten rid of or at least weakened in order to drive down the cost of labor and benefits for employers?
Newsflash: Even FDR was against public sector unions and so were some of the early private sector labor leaders. The public sector unions are indeed a huge factor in the pension debts.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:20 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Not hard to explain. People in California make lots more money:

San Francisco
Estimated median household income in 2016: $103,801
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $61,736

Springfield, MO
Estimated median household income in 2016: $33,286
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $20,609
That doesn't factor in cost of living.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:20 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Why make stuff up?

California Leads U.S. Economy, Away From Trump Whatever the president says, this state does the opposite. It's working.

"The capitalist juggernaut that is California helps explain why the state's per capita income increased 9.5 percent since 2015, the most of any state and the most since 2012, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Far from losing jobs overseas, California keeps creating them with an unemployment rate declining to 4.9 percent from 5.7 percent in 2016, faster than the national average."

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...way-from-trump
I didn't make anything up, and your post is pure B.S. California is nearly bankrupt. That's why they have to keep raising taxes (the wrong approach). Did you even watch the video I posted? Probably not. Businesses are leaving California for greener pastures ...like Texas and Arizona.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Bars on windows have been commonplace in CA for many years. As for the weather, January and February are the only times of year I really miss it. But for the rest of the year ...green is beautiful, and they really don't have much green in California. They almost won't let you have a lawn anymore, and ice plant just doesn't make it, though the flowers are pretty.
Bars on windows? What neighborhoods have you been driving through? I live in a very middle class neighborhood of older homes in Sacramento County and there are no 'bars in the windows here"

Honestly with the problems in NE Ohio, I would think your time would be better spent in the Ohio forum wagging your finger at folks regarding their lagging economic growth, at least it would be the truth...

Ohio's economic recovery lags nation, experts testify | cleveland.com

https://www.ohio.com/akron/news/poli...-15-year-slide

https://www.clevelandfed.org/newsroo...cleveland.aspx

Old 01-16-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I didn't make anything up, and your post is pure B.S. California is nearly bankrupt. That's why they have to keep raising taxes (the wrong approach). Did you even watch the video I posted? Probably not. Businesses are leaving California for greener pastures ...like Texas and Arizona.
Watch a 30 minute video with a subtitle that reads: "What Happens When Democrats Run Your State?" by Bode Lang who runs "conservativeammo.com" lol...I don't think so. Businesses come and go, California is doing just fine:

https://timesofsandiego.com/business...conomies-2017/

State’s economic outlook for 2018-19 positive, despite slower job growth

California's Economic Growth Outpaces the Rest of the Nation | L.A. Weekly

Now it's your turn, tell me how wonderful NE Ohio is..I can't wait!

Last edited by 2sleepy; 01-16-2018 at 07:20 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Newsflash: Even FDR was against public sector unions and so were some of the early private sector labor leaders. The public sector unions are indeed a huge factor in the pension debts.
BFD, he also signed an order requiring Japanese citizens to be put in internment camps

Old 01-16-2018, 07:10 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,269,360 times
What 'talk radio conservatives' on here don't understand is that tax cuts and deregulation's aren't the only things that determine how well your economy does. It's also based on many things from the geography, population density, talented workforce, infrastructure, climate, natural resources, and just plain luck. California is successful despite it's higher than average taxes and regulations.

If you ask me, relying on tax cuts and deregulation's to attract businesses is like going to the bottom of the barrel. You're basically attracting on all the cheapskates out there looking to cut keep wages and jobs to a minimum. It's not a way to attract quality employers. This is why so many Red states are low on quality of life indicators and have low wages.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:10 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
I gotta say I don’t care much for California but if those traitorous pond scum screw the state up so bad they need a federal bailout it could cause a recession or worse. In that event the federal government takes over and fixes their crazies in state government problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies