Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 07:02 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times

Advertisements

The first projections for Trumpcare 2019 are in: Expect rate increases of up to 30%

Looks like he has a great healthcare plan. Actually the interesting thing thats pointed out is that this will impact those making 4X the poverty limit, as the subsidies will shelter the poorer folks.

2019 will be the first time we see the impacts of the war on the ACA. Will it really be 30% as the study estimates? Barring some changes I can see that occurring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 07:34 PM

5,861 posts, read 3,300,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The first projections for Trumpcare 2019 are in: Expect rate increases of up to 30%

Looks like he has a great healthcare plan. Actually the interesting thing thats pointed out is that this will impact those making 4X the poverty limit, as the subsidies will shelter the poorer folks.

2019 will be the first time we see the impacts of the war on the ACA. Will it really be 30% as the study estimates? Barring some changes I can see that occurring.
First off its Obama care not Trump care. The difference is that you will not be FORCED to buy it. Millions will choose not to purchase health insurance. If premiums go up then so be it. In fact for millions of people a catastrophic plan would be more than fine.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:15 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
First off its Obama care not Trump care. The difference is that you will not be FORCED to buy it. Millions will choose not to purchase health insurance. If premiums go up then so be it. In fact for millions of people a catastrophic plan would be more than fine.
It is so great not to be forced to have health insurance. I don't know about you, but I really value my right to go bankrupt if I get seriously ill!

Old 01-27-2018, 04:40 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
High deductible, catastrophic plans have been available under ACA right along for those under 30 and those over 30 who meet hardship guidelines.

IIRC, they still have to cover vaccinations and the health insurance companies are prohibited from putting annual or lifetime dollar limits on benefits.

Some of the less expensive catastrophic plans that used to be available had annual and lifetime caps, which were fine if you never had to deal with recurring bouts of cancer, etc. In which case, you would soon find yourself without insurance coverage.

One of the major drawbacks is that those with high deductibles tend to put off medical visits which can lead to more serious medical conditions.

On the plus side, as long as you stay healthy, you can save money.

Basically, you are self-insuring up to say $6,000/year or whatever your deductible amount is.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:47 AM

5,861 posts, read 3,300,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It is so great not to be forced to have health insurance. I don't know about you, but I really value my right to go bankrupt if I get seriously ill!
We all make choices. BTW I am insured through my old job and I am insured through my wife. If I wasn't insured in the ways that I am I certainly would purchase health insurance. However I wouldn't force others to buy it.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:51 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,801 times
What is Trumpcare?

sounds like theres some major misadvertisement going on here...there is no policy named Trumpcare

Last edited by tripleh; 01-27-2018 at 05:01 AM..

Old 01-27-2018, 04:54 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
With $2500 bonuses and wage increases being "CRUMBS" healthcare prices rising is CHICKEN FEED! Right Liberals? LOL

Old 01-27-2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
It's TrumpCare now. You break it, you bought it.

If you are actually a retired cop, you enjoyed decades of decent health insurance paid for by taxpayers.

Apparently, we are still footing the bill or perhaps your wife is. Hard to tell from your post.

As long as insurance companies can't discriminate against those with pre-existing conditions, those with catastrophic insurance should be okay. If they find themselves needing regular insurance coverage, they can always switch.

However, if insurance companies can refuse those with pre-existing conditions, then those with catastrophic coverage will find themselves in a more difficult situation.

If insurance companies are not allowed by law to refuse those with pre-existing conditions, then we all pay higher premiums to cover the cost of those who were coasting along until something came up.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:58 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,521,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
With $2500 bonuses and wage increases being "CRUMBS" healthcare prices rising is CHICKEN FEED! Right Liberals? LOL
I’m guessing you have never got a bonus before. You take home about $1500 bucks from a $2500 bonus. Considering if you are actually sick, $1500 is um nothing.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:01 AM

Think of insurance coverage like police protection. We all pay, although only some of us have never ever had to call for police assistance and likely never will.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 01-27-2018 at 05:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies