Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 09:47 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You realize your post basically says the vaccine is completely worthless right? You get the vaccine almost every year and have had the flu multiple times.

I've never had the vaccine and never had the flu. Seems my approach works better. /shrug/
Both of your anecdotes are just that. However, what Mike said is that many years he did not get sick when others around him did.

All in all, the vaccine averages about 60% effective over the years.

Even at the possible lower effectiveness this year the vaccine is not "completely worthless".

Although you do not want to take it perhaps you could explain why you want no one else to take it, either.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
This will be average flu season. In spite of all the media scare tactics and the fact that the vaccine is worthless this year.

Think about it: This year the flu is DEADLY DEADLY DEADLY

And the vaccine is at best 30% effective. Very poor efficacy, per the CDC.

It's a one-two punch. So .... shouldn't this be a record breaking year for deaths?

Common sense would say so. But it's not ... so draw your own conclusions.
It will be necessary to wait until the season is over to know how many deaths there will be. Some regions are reporting more, however.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/flu-sea...italizations/O

You attempt to make flu seem trivial is noted. It's not.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:10 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Does it make a difference if you're in the American North (like Minnesota) and the South (like Florida)?

Maybe not. Maybe it's a myth I always believed - that the colder weather areas were more inclined to be effected by flu.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:15 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Does it make a difference if you're in the American North (like Minnesota) and the South (like Florida)?

Maybe not. Maybe it's a myth I always believed - that the colder weather areas were more inclined to be effected by flu.
Due to my illness paranoia, it can make a difference, but not much. During hot, humid months, the flu particles are not able to travel freely through the air because the air is too heavy and they drop.

Once temperatures hit about 68-70 degrees F, and humidity begins to drop, the flu becomes very active and it's a pretty equal opportunity infecter whether you're in Minnesota or Florida. People in Florida may have a bit of an advantage because they do outdoor activities for longer periods of time so aren't cooped up indoors with crowds as much as colder climate populations are.

Having said that, in very hot, tropical areas that are that way year round, the flu seems to behave differently there and, while still warm, it seems to take off during their monsoon (rainy) seasons. They don't really know why.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:17 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

And that is a question isn't it.

Why is there a flu "season"?
Where does it come from?
How does the media know when to start the hype?
How do they predict when it starts and stops?
Why does it go away after a few months?

AND: Why does it happen every. single. year. Why aren't some years non-flu years where it all those revolving and evolving strains just stay dormant?

Name any other illness that is programmed into the calendar every year and touted as a season, tracked by media, complete with stats, advice, experts and daily coverage.

Maybe they can pit strains against each other like a sports league. See how many people get the different strains and do a March Madness event, except it'll be September Madness and people can bet on the different strains during the "season".

Kidding. Maybe.

Think about the questions.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:32 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Info on seasonal infectious diseases:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1634916/
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-06-2018, 10:38 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Info on seasonal infectious diseases:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1634916/
Does not discuss the flu in a meaningful manner, and does not answer my questions. Did you read the article?

"children in school" doesn't explain the seasonal flu

Old 02-06-2018, 10:48 AM

5,070 posts, read 2,279,232 times
I've always wanted know how many people who don't wash their hands and shower on a regular basis fare, vs. those who do. Not just in a single season, but over many years of their lives. Too many variables to ever know for sure, but it would be interesting. There have been a lot of suggestions that we're TOO clean these days.

My husband's step mother freaked out on me last summer because the kids had been out playing in her yard and I didn't tell them to wash their hands when they came in for lunch. TBH, unless they've been mucking stalls or some similar activity, I never make them wash up. I also didn't bathe them daily when they were little. They are so seldom sick that the last time I took them in to their pediatrician (in 2012) for anything other than mandated vaccines or yearly check-ups, she said, "What are YOU doing here?"

Old 02-06-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
And that is a question isn't it.

Why is there a flu "season"?
Where does it come from?
How does the media know when to start the hype?
How do they predict when it starts and stops?
Why does it go away after a few months?

AND: Why does it happen every. single. year. Why aren't some years non-flu years where it all those revolving and evolving strains just stay dormant?

Name any other illness that is programmed into the calendar every year and touted as a season, tracked by media, complete with stats, advice, experts and daily coverage.

Maybe they can pit strains against each other like a sports league. See how many people get the different strains and do a March Madness event, except it'll be September Madness and people can bet on the different strains during the "season".

Kidding. Maybe.

Think about the questions.
Flu is not the only infectious disease that exhibits seasonality.

Polio used to be tracked during the summer. We no longer hear about it because it has been eliminated in the US by vaccination.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...d-out-a-killer

Peak season for measles was February to May. Now we only hear about measles if there is an outbreak, almost universally from someone who was not vaccinated bringing it here from another country. Measles has also been eliminated in the US by vaccination.

The reason we are now hearing about flu is because many are sick, many of those are being hospitalized, and there are deaths. Flu is not trivial and it is currently newsworthy.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:59 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It will be necessary to wait until the season is over to know how many deaths there will be. Some regions are reporting more, however.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/flu-sea...italizations/O

You attempt to make flu seem trivial is noted. It's not.
Suzy,

That link did not come up.

I think what it boils down to is whether we should error on the side of caution or play Russian roulette.

I have no vested interest this year in the vaccine; I am not working for personal reasons. But anybody that wants to gamble on catching this virus is stupid. Years ago, when I was driving long distance truck, I had one heck of case of the flu. I never thought that I would live to make it home. It can really wipe you out. If anybody has ever suffered from a severe case they would not wish it on themselves or their loved ones - if there was any way to avoid it. Maybe the vaccine is not 100% perfect; but anything that can help is worth taking that chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies