Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 12:13 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Why? Do you find learning painful?
Absolutely not. I love learning.

That's why I avoid the worthless flu shot.

The shot could be 5% effective and the CDC will still push it on the public. And the good little followers will run up sleeves up and beg for it. With ZERO thought to if they SHOULD get it. They' wil do as they are told, terrorized, paralyzed by watching the headlines that show there is a 0.0001% chance of dying from the flu this year. And that is the HIGH end statistic.

But most people probably think 50% of the population will be dying off this year.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:07 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Absolutely not. I love learning.

That's why I avoid the worthless flu shot.

The shot could be 5% effective and the CDC will still push it on the public. And the good little followers will run up sleeves up and beg for it. With ZERO thought to if they SHOULD get it. They' wil do as they are told, terrorized, paralyzed by watching the headlines that show there is a 0.0001% chance of dying from the flu this year. And that is the HIGH end statistic.

But most people probably think 50% of the population will be dying off this year.
well, when area kids around where I live die, you become a lot more cautious....maybe not nearly 50% but when it's your child, your mother, or father, it them becomes meaningful doesn't it.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:52 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I am sitting at home with my 4 year old who is on her second day of the flu. It is no joke this year. Normally, nothing takes her down. She did have her flu shot. I am hoping the flu shot at least shortens the duration because it sure has not lessened the severity. At least in her case. Now I have to worry about my son, myself and my husband. My husband the only one who has not had his flu shot.
My son and I got the flu, despite the shot, too. He was down for 3 days, and then back to normal. I went to work feeling totally fine, but by mid-morning I started feeling “off”. By the afternoon I felt like I had been run over by a Mack truck. Four days in bed (every one of them spent thinking about the hundreds of people I may have exposed before I knew I was sick), and now I’m just feeling easily tired, but better.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:01 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
My son and I got the flu, despite the shot, too. He was down for 3 days, and then back to normal. I went to work feeling totally fine, but by mid-morning I started feeling “off”. By the afternoon I felt like I had been run over by a Mack truck. Four days in bed (every one of them spent thinking about the hundreds of people I may have exposed before I knew I was sick), and now I’m just feeling easily tired, but better.
That's how my "flu" hit back in 2016. Went to work feeling fine, at around 9:30AM I got a sudden cough. By 11:00 I was aching. By the time I left work at 2:30 I was really aching, cough had picked up, and I shivered all the way home in car pool no less. There I was contagious expelling the flu in my car pool. Fortunately no one in the car poo got it, no one in my office got it, and no one in my home got it. I don't even know where I picked it up. I ended up having a fever for close to 8 days though.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:02 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,194 times
Without reading through all these posts, and looking at the original question, I'd say yes. I would not get the flu shot-I'd stay home. I haven't had a cold or a flu for 7 years and I would never get one of those shots.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:06 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You realize that there is a 70%-90% chance she would've died if she had the shot, right? Some people just die.

And if she was your best friend, how did she die alone with no one helping her if she had the deadly flu? Why wasn't she in the hospital?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight ....
Do you feel better about yourself? I'm glad. I look forward to your citation on the 70-90%. It sounds like you know a lot about epidemiology and immunology and I do so hope you share your knowledge with the rest of us.

Now, for reality. Her other friends were sick as well. Her best friend of 25 years who was generally the only person she'd ever listen to had a 4 month old dealing with the flu herself. I am immunocompromised from cancer treatment several years ago and have severe lung damage as a result, so I am in no position to take care of anyone who is ill. When one of my roommates got the flu over Christmas, I had to vacate the apartment and sent my boyfriend back to lysol when she was on the mend. I fit the profile of someone who dies from the flu in even a less severe year, which is why I get the shot. Anecdotally, I've never had the flu when I had the shot but even this year with the lower effectivenss rate, my oncologist was adament that while it may not prevent me from getting the flu, that it would likely make it less severe.

My friend was stubborn as hell and wouldn't have let anyone take her to the hospital. She thought she was on the mend and was beginning to feel better. Tragically, she was very wrong and passed away in her sleep. The autopsy results have not been released, but its likely she passed of a heart attack in her sleep as a result of the strain the flu put on her body.

Most healthy 20 and 30 somethings just power through the flu. I'm sure it never occurred to my friend to go to the hospital and she acted like we were crazy when we tried to convince her to go to the doctor when it was week 2 and she still felt awful. Several young people in my area have died suddenly from the flu, none had the vaccine, and from news reports it seemed like few knew they were in trouble until it was too late.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:30 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post

I'd rather eat rusty nails.
Then they'd sell you a tetanus shot.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:35 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'm watching these news reports on the news and after the newsman reports "Two more people died of the flu including one child" they never fail to say, "If you haven't gotten the flu shot get it now! It's not too late." This strikes me as nothing more than yellow journalism designed to attempt to scare people into spending $25 to get the vaccine. But it is now reported that:

https://www.ecowatch.com/should-i-ge...132041142.html

I personally just stay away from crowded conditions and if I have to be in them I wear a good viral mask. But doesn't the pharmaceutical companies making these vaccines also make billions of dollars off a vaccine that may harm more than it helps, if it helps at all and aren't the news medias just using sensational reporting tactics to help them and to boost their own ratings?
I doubt it is for money. Many retail pharmacies and clinics (Walgreens, CVS etc.) give flu shots for free.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:38 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So sorry for your loss.

Odd that people want to minimize the losses from this year's strain.
Children alive one minute and gone the next - it is that deadly.

Of course the news reports are designed to convince people to get their flu shots.
If there is any chance that getting the shot would lessen or preclude your chances of getting the flu, why the h*ll wouldn't you do it?

Are people seriously suggesting that their lives are not worth the $25.00 that it might cost get the shot?
Are your children's lives not worth it?

FYI, if you have health insurance, the flu shot costs NOTHING other than the time it takes to get one.

If it saves your life, or the life of a loved one, wouldn't that be considered priceless?
A flu shot is a 50/50 crapshoot. It might help but there's far better chance it will hurt. You've heard the propaganda. The news reporters admit it's only about 10% effective this year but they never fail to follow up with, "Still a vaccine could lessen the severity if you do get the flu." So they've been force to admit it's practically worthless at preventing the flu but their pitch line now is it could lessen the flu symptoms. What shills!

Old 01-30-2018, 02:40 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I doubt it is for money. Many retail pharmacies and clinics (Walgreens, CVS etc.) give flu shots for free.
I've *never* seen that. Many insurance companies cover the shot in full, so the pharmacy gives it for "free" to you after they run it through your insurance.

I have one of the few insurance policies that has never covered the flu shot and I can't find it for free anywhere. In fact, my son just got the quadrivalent shot today and paid about $38 for it and CVS. The regular one was $26.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies