Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 06:57 AM

39,218 posts, read 27,586,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
I got some guys who I know that sometimes go on Craigslist personal ads to get hookups from casual encounters which are ads of prostitution which you pay to have sex. Which why is it that if its a "casual encounter" that prostitution ads is allowed there which you have to pay for sex?
I know a woman who looks for sex on craigslist. Why not just look for that on dating sites? lol

I don't like to judge people's looks because I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This said, she is not a typical attractive woman fits the society's beauty standard (for lack of better words). That is why she goes to craigslist looking for this kind of "encounters". I admire her courage to be, well, different. But she really needs to be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 07:09 AM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
I got some guys who I know that sometimes go on Craigslist personal ads to get hookups from casual encounters which are ads of prostitution which you pay to have sex. Which why is it that if its a "casual encounter" that prostitution ads is allowed there which you have to pay for sex?
Some guys you know?

You should avoid all of that. I am sorry I meant to say you should tell those guys you know to avoid all of that. Getting robbed and police sting operations are two reasons to not engage in that sort of activity on CL.

But I do believe they should legalize prostitution. What two adults want to to together is their business not the governments.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:16 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,896,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Is there a definition of "family values" I can peruse somewhere in your communist manifesto?
"Family values" comes right out the Heritage Foundation playbook.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:27 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,614 times
Quote:
Craigslist has undergone major changes in recent weeks, but these kinds of ads go against terms of service and can be flagged off by other users.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:49 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,862,543 times
Quote:
How does it decrease instances of stds?

I thought it was the opposite of increasing stds
Many places that have legalized prostitution have also enforced regular STD checks for prostitutes. Additionally, procedures are in place in legal brothels to reduce the chance of customers transmitting STDs.

In some areas, it is likely safer (from an STDS standpoint) to go to a legal prostitute, who has her health very regularly checked by a doctor, than to pick up a random drunk person in a bar.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:42 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,093,479 times
Quote:
Back in 2010, craiglist was pressured by authorities to close down the adult section. As such, sex workers moved over to what was the closest thing; casual encounters. IIRC this around the same time an adult specific website, bigdoggie.net, was confiscated and the owner was taken to court.

Last year, there is a law that is making its way through legislature that would make third parties liable for illegal activity. This takes it further. A hotel manager can now be held accountable for a prostitute operating within the hotel if the manager can not show plausible deniability. An ad site can now also be held accountable for illegal activities advertised.

As such, another well known ad site, backpage, took another approach. The section remains but they removed ad fields that can be used to describe services offered; just a phone number, link to a personal site, and pictures.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Because most people in the united states don't support legalizing it feel it's an immoral business goes against family values.
When it comes to individual rights and civil rights, the courts rarely take into consideration popularity. It is a check against the threat of mob rule. What is the main issue is that any politician that brings up the issue of legalized prostitution up for discussion is essentially committing political suicide... when it comes down to it, we are a people of hypocritical often conflicting views.

There are many immoral businesses that are allowed... The core to issue is privacy concerns of the individuals. More extensively, who defines what is "moral" and "immoral"... the church? religion? what? As a society made up of a wide swath of people of different religions, cultures, etc, I think we should try to set aside the idea moral/immoral which is biased towards one own views and try to act laws to preserve individual freedoms of choice. That implies accepting other people's choices that we may personally find distasteful and unacceptable ourselves.

Last edited by usayit; 02-04-2018 at 09:23 AM..

Old 02-04-2018, 08:52 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The question should be, "Why is prostitution illegal between consenting adults?"

Some people want the right to tell others what they can and can not do behind closed doors that's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Because most people in the united states don't support legalizing it feel it's an immoral business goes against family values.

Most people? Whose values are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Then they shouldn't participate.

Excatly.

If sex work was legalized and the workers licensed, they would have to get regular medical exams, and they would pay billions in taxes that are currently not being collected. It's not called "the oldest profession" for nothing. No different than marrying for money, except that prostitution is a helluva lot more honest.

This plus they would have to get a business license like anyone else marrying for money is okay for some it would seem.

[quote=glamatomic;50917782]I'm all for legalizing it.

It's long overdue.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:01 AM

I support legalized prostitution as it is moral to preserve the right of privacy among individuals and more importantly a woman's right and dominion over her body. I do NOT support pimping and pandering. These are the scum that uses violence, threats, and coercion to gain leverage over women simply trying to make living.

Many of these sex related ad sites (not necessarily craigslist and backpage...) empower a sex worker to directly access the client market in a cost effective manner. In other words, it allows the sex worker to operate as an independent... maintaining dominion over self and body.

What do you think happens when you remove that access to cilentele? Yes... they start to turning to pimps.

Just the other day, I loaned out rent money to a lady friend of mine. She was having difficulties fulfilling a schedule of customers because her area of operation has had a lot of heat lately; bogus ads on BP to lure both sex workers and customers by the authorities. So she was avoiding (ok scared) advertising there. I caught her catching a ride with a well known pimp in the area.... "to talk business". She was considering working for him... at least temporarily to make rent.... that breaks my heart. The best I could do was delay that for at another month.

Last edited by usayit; 02-04-2018 at 09:11 AM..

Old 02-04-2018, 09:24 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Back in 2010, craiglist was pressured by authorities to close down the adult section. As such, sex workers moved over to what was the closest thing; casual encounters.
There are also prostitutes posting ads in other sections of CL, and wording their ads to sound like something else entirely. I had a friend that hooked up like this, his regular girl posted her ad in the home appliances for sale!They have gotten pretty good at staying one step ahead of authorities. The amount of ads on these boards makes it almost impossible for LE to scrutinize each and every one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies