Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 10:04 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times

Advertisements

"Comedians" aren't really comedians any more. Where are Johnny Carson, Bob Hope etc. when you need them?

(See how far back we have to go to even find someone trying to be funny?)

----------------------------------------

https://www.wsj.com/articles/comedy-...nny-1517963485

Comedy Is Not Pretty, and Nowadays It Isn’t Even Funny

With sanctimony having replaced humor, the only thing left to laugh at is the farce of politics itself.

by Joseph Epstein
Feb. 6, 2018 7:31 p.m. ET

(snip)

I found myself seated at my computer last month, watching on YouTube the comedian Bill Maher talk about Donald Trump’s marriage. If you don’t share Mr. Maher’s politics, you are likely to find him an odious, even loathsome character, for he doesn’t really exist outside politics. His standard tone is mockery, his modus operandi to lacerate his targets with obscenities, flash a nervous smile, and then bask in applause from his audience.

I was watching Mr. Maher on YouTube to see how far he would go on the subject of the Trump marriage. Would he attack the Trumps’ 11-year-old son, or perhaps attack the family for not having a dog? No surprise, he brought up the allegations of sexual harassment against Mr. Trump. Stormy Daniels was mentioned. His final punch line was that Melania Trump hadn’t accompanied her husband to Davos, Switzerland, because she had spent the day having to “lay a wreath on the tomb of the unknown trophy wife.”

Donald Trump has been a great boon to late-night talk-show hosts. His baroque hairdo, his hyperbole, his general extravagance, his unabashed egotism—all these things and more are in the wheelhouse of today’s liberal comedians. Without him, Bill Maher and Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Kimmel and Seth Meyers would be practically out of business. Jon Stewart must wake each morning filled with regret for his wretched timing at retiring just as Mr. Trump came into office.

(snip)

Yet to have taken what I think of as the Trumpian option in their comedy has rendered these comedians charmless while strikingly limiting their audiences to those who share their politics.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 10:08 AM

1,875 posts, read 1,327,533 times
99% of all legendary comedians wouldn't even be allowed to perform these days...

The funniest people that ever walked the planet would be called every name in the book and booed off stage now

Old 02-07-2018, 10:10 AM

How do you figure? Carson, Hope et. al. would certainly welcomed back, and with relief.

But they're gone to the Great Beyond, and their replacements are a sorry lot.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:13 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
How do you figure? Carson, Hope et. al. would certainly welcomed back, and with relief.

But they're gone to the Great Beyond, and their replacements are a sorry lot.
And the PC environment in which the Media, and much of society (corporate America, Education) operates is a sorry lot. PC culture is taking the fun, and adventure out of parts of life for some.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:14 AM

17,427 posts, read 14,657,652 times
I just saw John Mulaney in concert.

He's frickin' hysterical.

Anyway, when he brought up Trump and the election towards the end of his concert, I was ready to be disappointed - I mean, please don't impose your political philosophy on me ... I'm just here to add to your net worth and laugh my arse off.

It's a long bit, but he compared Trump to a horse in a hospital. You knew which side of the political divide Mulaney is on - but it was never the downright vitriol you hear/see on late night that is directed at both the president AND the people that voted for him.

Mulaney was refreshingly funny on a very divisive topic.

Basically, it can be done. And comedians who chose not to, are lazy.

YMMV.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:17 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
You couldn't fine more PC comedians than Carson, Hope, etc. They made sure never ever to go to far...they were always diplomatic, tactful, politically correct.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:21 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,960 times
Let me guess: you're some old guy that wants things to go back to where they were?

There are all kinds of comedians, but you're not in tje 60s anymore.

Brian Regan is a funny guy who doesn't swear or make naughty jokes.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You couldn't fine more PC comedians than Carson, Hope, etc. They made sure never ever to go to far...they were always diplomatic, tactful, politically correct.
They did it by avoiding politics entirely. And never saying things like "personkind" instead of "mankind", except as a dig at the people silly enough to demand "personkind".

Where are they now?

Old 02-07-2018, 10:23 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,407,050 times
Liberals killed humor/comedy. Having a sense of humor has been forbidden by the extreme liberal mentality.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Let me guess: you're some old guy that wants things to go back to where they were?
Don't quit your day job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies