Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 10:01 AM

74 posts, read 33,359 times

Advertisements

How is merit-based immigration going to help our economy?Do you support DV lottery and chain immigration or Trump's merit-based proposal? Why is he not ready to abolish h1b/h4?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 10:39 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Work visas is a good idea, but has been extremely abused due to its numerous loopholes and overall poor regulations. The entire program needs to be scrapped and a new one come in its place, and take it out of the DOL because those people are incompetent.

Do away with the lottery.

I support chain immigration, but I do think the chain should end with the person who came here due to chain immigration, as in the person should not be able to sponsor anyone.

I support merit only as a point that I do not think people should immigrate to the US and get on the social handout dole right away. Merit is a subjective term, just like the H1B was suppose to be all about need, but has become an abused program used by contractors to undercut wages by importing cheap labor.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:08 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Immigration doesn't help working Americans' personal economics.

Educated, and higher earning or meritorious immigrants reportedly contribute more to the economy and in taxes than they consume. The US didn't have to subsidize their education and they use less tax payer-funded benefits and services. And they have less social cost related to crime and the justice system.

Chain migration, illegals and non-meritorious immigration use more tax-payer benefits and services than they contribute in taxes. They also have higher social costs.

So it's not too unlike predatory/parasitic vs symbiotic. But still immigration even meritorious is not symbiotic and amounts to more competition and reduced opportunities for Americans, holds down wages and drives up cost of living. And immigration still has a socio-political, economic and cultural impact on Americans, and I want it all restricted.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:11 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
Merit means people who are bringing some good to this country. What we have now is uneducated and unskilled who are just here for the freebies.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:17 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
All 4 my grandparents who arrived in the early 1900s would be refused under the trump plan. But EVERY one of their 22 grandkids either went to college (and grad school) or started a business or held and hold some very good jobs.

BTW, none of my grandparents ever mastered English, few of them even tried.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:22 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
You know, way back around 1786-1790, my Scots-Irish tenant farmer ancestors came here using what's now called "chain immigration". An older sibling came first, then was joined a few years later by his elderly widowed mother and all but a couple of his siblings. Two years later, another brother and his family came across The Pond and were assisted by their previously arrived family members.

Within one or two generations, the younger generations of that family were mayors of major Southern American cities, and two married into the families of presidential candidates. The first generation - the actual immigrants - founded schools, donated land for churches, educated their offspring, paid for the education of other promising young people, become prominent business owners and extensive property owners, had city streets named for them, paid for the construction of turnpikes, and more. Their descendants are many and demonstrate an unusual degree of success, measured by any yardstick.

I could go on, but I think this family of "chain immigrants" certainly did their part to contribute to the well-being and economy of early America.

I'm glad no one restricted them, back in the day.

There is no way we can foretell the future and predict what today's immigrants and their descendants might achieve. But why view them as competitors to "Americans", and instead give them an opportunity to become patriotic and productive Americans themselves, just as did my ancestors?

Old 02-07-2018, 03:27 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
All 4 my grandparents who arrived in the early 1900s would be refused under the trump plan. But EVERY one of their 22 grandkids either went to college (and grad school) or started a business or held and hold some very good jobs.

So what? It's not the 1900s anymore and what benefited your probably European Jewish family has nothing to do with mass, globalized immigration. What other policies from the early 1900s would you support keeping?

Old 02-07-2018, 03:49 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
So what? It's not the 1900s anymore and what benefited your probably European Jewish family has nothing to do with mass, globalized immigration. What other policies from the early 1900s would you support keeping?
Why do you ASSume I am European Jew??

Old 02-07-2018, 03:57 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post

What else do you use from the 1900's?

Did your grandparents get free education, childbirth an emergency room care from the American taxpayer? Did they enter the country illegally?

Old 02-07-2018, 04:28 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear09 View Post
How is merit-based immigration going to help our economy?Do you support DV lottery and chain immigration or Trump's merit-based proposal? Why is he not ready to abolish h1b/h4?
I'm in favor of merit base immigration!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies