Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 02:25 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times

Advertisements

I believe the title of this thread actually refers to the gay rights movement and is a response to the people who want to keep the status quo because they think gays are getting "special" rights. But I can certainly see how it applies to how men feel when women get the rights they exclusively had for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 02:22 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I fell into a stay at home parental role. Was never the plan for us...but it happened. In my 20 years of being a stay at home parent, I've had the pleasure of hanging out with other stay at home parents. There are still many who have the choice -- yes a privilege -- to stay home.

I am happy -- and so is my husband and my grown kids. They tell me all the time how much they appreciated having one of us at home.
Thanks for asking.

Sounds like you aren't too happy.
You are the exception. MOST women don't have the option to not work. Because they cannot afford to do that.

So you have unearned privilege. Umm...Good for you? Not sure what you want us to do with that information? Hey here's a thought - Perhaps the OP will issue you a demerit for not being equal enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
This is what you take away from that?
Now that women and minorities have equal opportunities you complain because women are police officers (at least the 5'1 98'lb ones) out one side of your mouth then complain because you don't see women working construction jobs and more women aren't dying on the job out of the other side.
Sounds exactly like the OP title. You feel oppressed because these jobs are open for women who qualify and actually want those type of jobs.
Yah, that's exactly it..they want to have their cake and eat it too.

They demand special rights and treatment to get jobs for which they are not qualified, and then refuse jobs they could take on. Being a slightly built construction worker isn't a threat to public safety and your fellow workers, so those aren't the same situation.

Why so few women housepainters? Or Roofers? I've used a Pest Control service for almost 20 years. NEVER have we had a female technician. Completely male industry...women just don't do these unpleasant jobs, yet they at the same time demand other more lucrative jobs simply because they are female. Nope...not having it! Do the crap jobs first, THEN we'll see if your talk of "equality" is genuine or BS. LOL. (The catch is.....we already know its BS.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Hopefully they're busy running the company.

But to say they're not on the job site because they don't want to be there - horse hockey. They're not there because they're "too weak" or "too delicate" or any number of other inaccurate generalizations.
Why should they hopefully be running a company when they've never worked in the business? They hopefully are NOT running the company.

They are not on the job site because they do not WANT to be there, correct. If they are able to do the work then there is no law, no policy, and nothing else keeping them from being on that job site, except for their own preferences - which are clear - they don't want to do it.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:32 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
these are the clever games that the actual xenophobes, racists, and bigots in the conservatives ranks like to play.

"screw women / foreigners / minorities (take your pick)! Don't like what i said? Then you're the intolerant one!"
pot meet kettle!

Old 02-13-2018, 02:52 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,628 times
The problem isn't so much when you have privilege that equality feels like oppression. Women have held the privileged position in society for quite a while, with the current demands by feminists to widen the gap even further. It isn't like men are achieving equality. Women are acting like they are oppressed because the gap isn't as wide as they'd like it to be.

When women have to register for the military draft and can expect to be sent to the front lines, then men will be equal to women.

When women have to prove they are the more suitable parent in order to have primary custody of the kids, then men will be equal to women.

When women die on the job at the same rate as men, then men will be equal to women.

When the medical world establishes Men's Health Centers staffed by men for men in every hospital in the country, then men will be equal to women.

When women have no choice but to have a male do their mammogram, then they will be equal to what men face in the medical system.

Bottom line is the fact that the advantages women have over men are not growing even greater fast enough for the feminists hardly translates into women being oppressed.

Last edited by Biker53; 02-13-2018 at 03:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies