Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 09:58 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
We’ve lost 11 weeks of gains.
Absolutely guaranteed to recover. It's of zero consequence. This dip is extremely small, and there is no historical precedent for a non-recovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 09:59 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Maybe you are right but I remember people saying housing prices NEVER went down. And then 2009 occurred.
Housing is much, much different than the DOW. It's not remotely the same animal.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:02 PM

42,843 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
Who told Trump and company to enact a large scale corporate and personal tax reform near the top of the cycle?
no kidding..geezus

Old 02-08-2018, 10:16 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
^^This. We were recovering fine but he pushed it into overdrive. Now everyone is selling and in a panic - and it's not just the US - it's rippling around the world. Rates going up makes it more expensive for businesses to borrow - it hits the building and real estate market especially hard.
Not a panic. But I do worry about this as China has a massive debt issue that could certainly cause a crash. There was a lot of debt created that will start getting more and more expensive globally.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:19 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Specifically, people who sell based on MSM scares don't know what they are doing.

Generally, people who sell at short dips don't know what they are doing.

Unless you are essentially an inside trader, doing anything but buying indexes and holding through even major dips is almost a surefire way to lose your money. Unless you are bright, with a hefty stake, and can teach yourself options trading.

If you have money in the stock market, comfort yourself by going and studying every historical dip in the stock market since its inception. It has never not recovered.

If this nation ever implodes politically in a real way (ie: civil war), then you may see a long-term decline. But until then selling the S&P is an indefensible financial decision unless you sell on an upward trend in anticipation of a downward trend (selling high and without loss to repurchase low). But I don't recommend trying that type of prediction. The only way to gain he highest chance of long term winning is to buy and hold.
Another headwind, aside from debt getting more expensive as mentioned in my post above, is an aging demographic nearing retirement who may decide it's time for profit taking.

Frankly, I think China will be the source of the next major market correction.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:23 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,200,354 times
The market needs to be healthy, it doesn't need to be "the highest in 20 years and not stopping yet". The interest rates need to come up. And hopefully someday the magic of compounding interest will once again be something people rely on to help create their personal wealth.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:26 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
If you want to understand the stock market and the economy, watch the business and finance shows and read business websites. They actually know what they are talking about, not like the talking heads on lamestream media who are uninformed and hysterical.
I always get my investment advice from someone who throws around the term “lamestream media”.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:58 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What stock market crash?
I already asked that a few pages back.

Still no answer.

Has everyone lost their minds?

Old 02-08-2018, 10:58 PM

24,509 posts, read 33,303,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
It is always the black guys fault if you listen to Trumpsters
A 100% ridiculous and inaccurate claim.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:02 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
A 100% ridiculous and inaccurate claim.
I think it is spot on. We have a thread about Obama being the cause of the recent market downturn. Any reasonable and educated man would see that as nonsense. Apparently you disagree. Provide evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies