Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 12:31 PM

13,214 posts, read 21,839,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I think this time, short of Kim nuking the entire west coast, high prices are here to stay. The crazy weather back east and mid-West are driving millions of people out of those areas to settle in the west. Seattle and Portland are too cold. That leaves only the coast of California and people are willing to pay these insanely high prices to escape the blizzards.
You can escape Blizzards by moving anywhere in the south for a fraction of the cost of the coast of California. Surely there must be more to it than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 12:42 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
You can escape Blizzards by moving anywhere in the south for a fraction of the cost of the coast of California. Surely there must be more to it than that.
Yes, the stifling humidity in the South. SoCal's only strike is that temps in the summer can get up around 105-110 inland. On the ocean, of course it is 70 year round.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:43 PM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Yes, the stifling humidity in the South.
There are more moderate climates in the U.S. that don't have stifling humidity, and heat, but also no blizzards, or at least a relative rarity of blizzards.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:45 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
There are more moderate climates in the U.S. that don't have stifling humidity, and heat, but also no blizzards, or at least a relative rarity of blizzards.
I'm anxious to know what part of the US compares with climate here in SoCal. I'd love to check it out and escape all the craziness traffic here.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:15 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,229,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Seems you are more an investor rather than the typical home owner who buys/sells for more compelling reasons having little to do with where prices are at the time. I trust you know something about that, so I won't elaborate.

About the only time I had the luxury to do other than find the best value in the market at the time when we needed our next home, given our needs (children, school, etc)., was when we were renting while waiting for a very soft market to firm up. The wait paid off from a reduced prices standpoint, but the new home we bought after renting (and watching it be built from the ground up) eventually had foundation problems...

A story for another day, since its time for me to sign off, but fortunately that too is a story that ended happily ever after, thanks in large part to the strength of the Bay Area real estate market, regardless a disclosure upon sale about two inches thick.
Real estate isn't an investment for most people, its just a place to live.

Which is part of the cause of the massive appreciation in real estate..its been driven up by mostly Commie money from the PRC....that's the bulk of "cash offers"...its these filthy commies coming in here and laundering their filthy lucre in US real estate. We should not have ever allowed THEM or their filthy money in here...they add nothing, and they only hurt our economy and society.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:20 PM

13,214 posts, read 21,839,752 times
Quote:
Yes, the stifling humidity in the South. SoCal's only strike is that temps in the summer can get up around 105-110 inland. On the ocean, of course it is 70 year round.
What about Arizona or Nevada? No humidity issues there, and you can have your pick of average high temps by choosing what elevation you live in. I lived in the high desert of Arizona for five years and the weather wasn't much different than here in Silicon Valley.

The point I was really trying to make is that California is an incredibly diverse and marvelous place to live, weather aside. The geographical diversity of Redwoods, Coast, Sierras, Wine Country, lakes regions, etc is amazing. I actually like the desert a lot. But you cannot beat the geographical diversity of California. Although I think the the biggest draw to northern CA though is the jobs market.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:20 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You are very long on the negatives, a little short on the positives, but I know how that goes...

Most people I know are very long on the positives about where they live and just not too inclined to consider what's better about where other's live. Human nature, pure and simple, except with younger people, perhaps, who are still figuring out what works best for them without as much bias and ego in the mix.
I notice you didn't refute any of my 5 points.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:06 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
California has nothing more to recommend it than the weather. But it is because of the weather that I wouldn't live anywhere else in the US than the southern coastal part of Cali in my old age. Fortunately my parents bought a few pieces of real estate here back in the 70's that went from 18K to 700K in this latest run-up so my wife and I are financially set. It really is necessary to either have bought something back in the 60's or be extremely wealthy to afford living in the Bay or parts of LA/San Diego corridor.
Nothing but the weather?

You have really GOT to be kidding...

Old 02-19-2018, 11:21 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
I'm anxious to know what part of the US compares with climate here in SoCal. I'd love to check it out and escape all the craziness traffic here.
I grew up in SoCal...

I grew up there and enjoyed my life there very much; going to the beach on whatever weekends I could with my friends, sometimes to surf, sometimes to just enjoy the beach atmosphere that especially for youngsters is awfully hard to beat. Soon as I could drive, I did a lot of driving all over, back when the traffic wasn't so bad that you could get from point A to point B without sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic; to Hollywood, Century City for the movies and other entertainment. Just about anywhere for whatever you might want to eat or do, without having to wear much other than shorts and a T-shirt.

Still, about the time I got ready to go to college, the smog would get so bad I could feel it in my lungs, and getting to/from Mexico, San Diego, Big Bear, Santa Barbara, the beaches was beginning to get more and more difficult, timely. I left SoCal to go to college in NorCal, and I could not believe how different -- better -- the Bay Area was for me, beginning with an apartment shared with my good friend also from SoCal, in San Francisco. We both had the greatest time from day one. He went back to SoCal for personal reasons having little to do with SoCal vs NorCal pluses and minuses. I stayed in NorCal hoping I could stay, forever.

Don't get me started on all the reasons I have made the Bay Area my home, at some cost and effort to do so, but for me anyway, the weather here is far better than SoCal. That said, I will admit I prefer a bit cooler temperatures (no more than 80s), because I'm always a little warmer than most folks. The cooler temps along with the greener spaces, bluer skies, and so much else I prefer has me very happy to be here in NorCal rather than SoCal where I grew up. Much of my time while living here and my parents back in SoCal, they too complained they could go nowhere without the traffic, and more and more did go nowhere to avoid the traffic.

They were always happy to visit us in the Bay Area and always seemed to commend me/us for living here where they too saw so much that we enjoyed as they would too if they could. Long ago, they almost bought a home and moved to Carmel, to give an example of what they really loved. Carmel no doubt a very hard place to beat in terms of drop-dead beauty along with some awfully good weather too, but they loved their 1-acre home in SoCal so much (and mom not much of a beach/ocean person), they decided to stay put. I think now regretfully...

We now enjoy Carmel (or anywhere else along the Monterey Bay we now call home) whenever we like, mostly avoiding traffic, because we're retired now and not needing to be anywhere when traffic might be an issue, but traffic not really that much an issue around here anyway if/when you know how to avoid the tourists during peak visiting times.

I will say, however, my sister still lives in SoCal, in Manhattan Beach, also with a place in Naples (Long Beach). Can't say she doesn't love her home and that area just as much, and we love visiting her there when we can. Two beautiful spots in SoCal (among many) that are also very hard to beat for all variety of reasons, but most people in SoCal don't get to live close to the water, and if you can't, fohgettabout it far as I'm concerned! Love San Diego too!

Old 02-19-2018, 11:23 AM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
You said escaping blizzards, not replicating the climate in SoCal. How about southern Colorado?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies