Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 11:18 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times

Advertisements

I guess what I find weird about the idea of cultural appropriation is that people want you to be accepting, but not really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
You must be looking in some pretty out-of-the-way corners and holes. I've been working with communities for decades, in every city or small town I've lived in, and have never seen or heard a bit of this. And I work with all colors, creeds, genders, cultures, ancestries, and every other exclusion-group you're whining about here.

Could it be that you've been getting your info from too many sullen, chronically-offended liberals with keyboards, many of whom work out of their mothers' basements, rather than from actual people raising families and paying bills in real neighborhoods in your cities?
All you have to do is watch or read to the news to hear about it.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:23 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
You must be looking in some pretty out-of-the-way corners and holes. I've been working with communities for decades, in every city or small town I've lived in, and have never seen or heard a bit of this. And I work with all colors, creeds, genders, cultures, ancestries, and every other exclusion-group you're whining about here.

Could it be that you've been getting your info from too many sullen, chronically-offended liberals with keyboards, many of whom work out of their mothers' basements, rather than from actual people raising families and paying bills in real neighborhoods in your cities?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
All you have to do is watch or read to the news to hear about it.
TRANSLATION: Your speculation in your second paragraph is correct.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
TRANSLATION: Your speculation in your second paragraph is correct.
So because in your community, no one is complaining about it, it isn't happening elsewhere?

I've seen it first hand, people getting upset because someone was wearing a rainbow at Pride and they were straight. Even just the fact that I (a straight woman) showed up to a Gay and Lesbian film festival with a friend to enjoy some films, I was yelled at and questioned what reason I was there.

It just seems stupid to tell others they cannot enjoy things that are from other cultures or groups.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:33 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
So because in your community, no one is complaining about it, it isn't happening elsewhere?

I've seen it first hand, people getting upset because someone was wearing a rainbow at Pride and they were straight. Even just the fact that I (a straight woman) showed up to a Gay and Lesbian film festival with a friend to enjoy some films, I was yelled at and questioned what reason I was there.

It just seems stupid to tell others they cannot enjoy things that are from other cultures or groups.
??? Really? And how did these people at the film festival know that you were straight? Never have I been yelled at for supporting gays even though I'm not gay. Never. As for your other examples in your OP, I haven't heard of them. It seems like you're taking what a few people may have said & blowing it out of proportion.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:34 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
You must be looking in some pretty out-of-the-way corners and holes.

sullen, chronically-offended liberals with keyboards
Quote:
wearing a rainbow at Pride

a Gay and Lesbian film festival
In other words, I was right again.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
??? Really? And how did these people at the film festival know that you were straight? Never have I been yelled at for supporting gays even though I'm not gay. Never. As for your other examples in your OP, I haven't heard of them. It seems like you're taking what a few people may have said & blowing it out of proportion.

They knew because they asked me if I was gay or straight. and good for you for not being yelled at. What does that have to do with my story.

Google the stories, it's not that hard. There are quite a few pages of articles and news stories about cultural appropriation. If it's not in the news I have people sharing it with me.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:41 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
A Black Lives Matter group protested outside of Solfire Yoga studio because the white owners organized a rap yoga class.
Was he upset that the white owner was using a black art form or an Northern Indian discipline?

Maybe the BLM idiot should ponder that hip hop structure bears more than a passing resemblance to square dance music vocals.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Was he upset that the white owner was using a black art form or an Northern Indian discipline?

Maybe the BLM idiot should ponder that hip hop structure bears more than a passing resemblance to square dance music vocals.

According to the article about it, the BLM group was upset because raps history is about black people expressing their pain and stuggle and they didn't think it was fair for this studio to use their music for a yoga class.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:43 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Me: "I don't like Mexican food so I won't go to a Mexican restaurant" .

Democrats: "that's racist".

Me: "I love Mexican food, let's have Taco Tuesdays every week".

Democrats: " That's cultural appropriation, insensitive and also racist".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies