Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 04:04 PM

8,238 posts, read 3,492,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
wow...

not sure I even understand that..

you HAD to go to college FOR the financial aid???

you have 200k in debt...yet cant hold a job... due to some health issue.... if your health issue is that bad, that you cant work, sounds like you would be a good candidate for disability.....have you tried

so here is one point, where I certainly could see debt forgiveness.. if there is a true health issue preventing you from working

but for all others...you signed the legal document... pay back what you owe.... or show that you have no ethics
I'm on disability right now, but they're trying to kick me off claiming I improved when I've got worse and have more health problems than when I first went on disability.

Doctor I had when the thing bashed my head into the wall back in 1995 wanted me to file for disability back then, but I was in denial about how bad it was. Plus, Christians were promising me if I kept praying and believed that God would heal me. So, I was believing liars and kept waiting for this miraculous healing that never came.

I escaped the thing, and I had to go on welfare because no one would hire me. I was hired for some jobs at first, but he kept going to the jobs causing problems and I'd get fired. Then I was blackballed in the area because they didn't want him showing up causing problems. The court ordered me to live within 30 mile radius of the thing and I had to get court permission to leave the area. Welfare reform hit and I was required to either go to work so many hours a week (impossible since no one would hire me) or go to college full time. So, back to college I went. The court order restricting me to the area was lifted fortunately before the time limit was up for that area (2 years from the time I was put on notice), so I fled the state before they could change their minds.

Then I was having trouble finding a job because of both the health problems but the huge employment gap. Plus, everyone who would consider me for employment wanted me to work nights and weekends. The day care centers were only open during the day time on weekdays. I didn't know anyone I could trust to watch my girl. So, I ended up back on welfare. I was very depressed about it, because I had thought I would finally be able to hold a job and be normal.

I finally accepted that I will never be employed in 2010 and applied for disability. I've been fired from pretty much every job not long into the employment because of my health problems. And I was fired from the last job December 24, 2009. No healing ever came in all that time even though I prayed in Jesus name like the Christians told me to do.

I stay sick more than I'm not sick. I've been sick with bronchitis so far since the end of last year. I only stopped bleeding internally from the Crohn's because the doctor gave me steroid pills for the lungs and it took care of the bleeding too. My Crohn's doctor refused to give me anything for the bleeding and I'd been bleeding from my intestines since October. Trying to get a new doctor for my Crohn's disease. No employer is going to want to hire and keep someone who is sick all the time, and I can't prevent myself from becoming sick or I would've done it already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 04:24 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Ahh. But you left off this important fact.

Europe & Asia limit the number of seats available for a higher education. Take a test and if you don't make the grade you don't go to college. Period.

I don't have a problem with this approach. But if it came to that in the USA, then immediately you would have cries of "rassist" by some. i.e. It will never work.

They are "killing us" because they are not filling the colleges with people who don't need to be there getting useless degrees who can't pay back the loans afterwards. That is reality. They don't have pointless degrees such as "African studies", basket weaving, etc
You know Europe and Asia are continents. Each country does things differently, everyone has access to college education. Even Americans have been receiving education for a small fee in different European countries.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ope/index.html

We take a test now that determine college placement, a low gpa and sat score won’t get in Harvard. We just have a lot of variety including two year colleges or community colleges which they are called “further education” in Britain.

Actually Britain has cultural study degrees as well as theater, liberal arts etc. you would find that if someone has a degree in African studies that is usually their secondary degree.

It seems you are resorting to people screaming racism when really testing has been done in America for a long time. This won’t work because it’s not even done in Europe like you think it is.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:36 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
--snip---for size--------
FYI there is nothing wrong with loan forgiveness programs, you should really look into it
fine then the government should forgive my mortgage and car loans too....fair is fair

Old 02-13-2018, 04:40 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
You mean, people will actually have to pay back their debts? Oh, the outrage.
They will, unless their name is Donald Trump. He thinks he's exempt from things like paying back loans, investors or banks.

His advise? Stiff 'em or go bankrupt.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:54 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Low income people won't be able to go to college.

And a lot of medium-income people won't be able to get a higher education, either. Just one more brick in the wall of exclusion, for all those outside of the wealthy minority. Farewell to democracy and the American Dream.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:59 PM

8,238 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
And a lot of medium-income people won't be able to get a higher education, either. Just one more brick in the wall of exclusion, for all those outside of the wealthy minority. Farewell to democracy and the American Dream.
Yes, a lot of people will be hurt with this. The ones without healthy, loving families will be hurt the worst.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:19 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
fine then the government should forgive my mortgage and car loans too....fair is fair
Hey work as teacher in low income neighbors getting under 40k year or for a non profit for 7 years..

Go pitch that to Congress

Or get on the Ellen show to win something for your good deeds

Old 02-13-2018, 05:23 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Low income people won't be able to go to college.
Student loans don't care how little you make, it only cares how rich your parents are...

Old 02-13-2018, 05:24 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Why do you think tuition has risen so astronomically? It’s because of the government getting so heavily in to the student loan business. It’s all a racket. Easy money flowing to everyone gives no incentive to universities to curb tuition hikes. They know the bills will get paid.
The very same thing happened with home loans, and we see how that worked out when anyone breathing got a mortgage.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:25 PM

34,056 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
educational loans are an agreement between you and a lender to loan you money to attend school. You agree to terms for repayment of the loan spelled out in a legal document. There is no guarantee by the lender for future success in employment or life. If you don't, you are untrustworthy, unreliable, and not suitable for many jobs or for future loan agreements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies