Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 07:45 PM

29,526 posts, read 22,714,341 times

Advertisements

The thing that strikes me is that she's living in a rent controlled apartment since 1996, at only $500 a month in the hip Haight Ashbury district. Not only that, but she shares the one bedroom with a partner.

If I only had to pay $250 a month in rent, 30K a year would very do-able to live in any city.

How to live in the San Francisco Bay Area on $30,000 a year - Business Insider

Quote:
Beth Wilmurt, a stage actress who has lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for most of her life, makes as much money in a year as some people spend on a single month's rent in the city.

She earns $30,000 a year, on average, between acting and her side hustles — teaching music and babysitting. Wilmurt told local broadcasting station KQED that she's made it work living in San Francisco over her nearly three-decade career, though it's getting harder all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 09:33 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,438,358 times
Well since she splits the rent, you could say she makes 33k and pays $500 for rent but, that's irrelevant. What is, is that it's rent controlled...the average rent in SF is suppose to around $3400. What really helps her though is that SF has excellent public transit...you actually rely on it. Owning a car in SF can be a nuissance. If you need to leave the city on a regular basis, you don't need one.

This is rude because I'm going to stereotype now but, if she's lived in the Haight most of her life, she's probably the type that hates TV any way so, doing without Netflix or cable is no big deal for her. I don't know about the Internet though, even ex-hippies have had to adjust to that....lol.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:38 PM

21,170 posts, read 19,774,934 times
Quote:
She added that the home is falling apart and in need of repairs
The beauty of rent control.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:42 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,231,816 times
Who cares what some loser societal dropout does? Normal people don't want to live like a perpetual college student in a state of bare subsistence, relying on government handouts.

Hell, homeless people get by just fine on a lot less than 30K a year..not exactly aspirational, given that there is a POOP MAP just to avoid the places where they have been.

And there is no difference between her and some bum crapping on the street, because both of them are going to be a drain on society/the taxpayer. By failing to make any plans for her own retirement, she will be wholly dependent on funds stolen from others who did earn and save and didn't goof off doing whatever the hell they wanted their whole lives. So being a hippy dippy free spirit, on OUR dime....what a mooch.

And she also votes Democrat-Progressive ticket all the way down the ballot.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:49 PM

105 posts, read 85,918 times
Definitely not the lifestyle for me. However, it sounds as if she's happy and self supporting. I don't get the harsh criticism of her. She has made rent control work in her favor, but that affects her landlord, not society as a whole. She has the same right as every other citizen to vote however she chooses, so I'm wondering why her political views were also referred to in such a condescending manner.

Clearly she is living an unconventional lifestyle, but she is no burden to society.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:52 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,231,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMeriMarry View Post
Definitely not the lifestyle for me. However, it sounds as if she's happy and self supporting. I don't get the harsh criticism of her. She has made rent control work in her favor, but that affects her landlord, not society as a whole. She has the same right as every other citizen to vote however she chooses, so I'm wondering why her political views were also referred to in such a condescending manner.

Clearly she is living an unconventional lifestyle, but she is no burden to society.
Don't be daft...if nothing that affects an individual can affect society then why the insistence that rich people pay more taxes?

Clearly rent control is nothing but theft enforced by the State.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:05 PM

105 posts, read 85,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Don't be daft...if nothing that affects an individual can affect society then why the insistence that rich people pay more taxes?

Clearly rent control is nothing but theft enforced by the State.
I didn't say that nothing that affects an individual can affect society. But the landlord getting less rent is hardly a drain on society as a whole. The landlord choose to buy the building and rent it out. No one is forced into the rental business.

I won't argue the pros or cons of rent control, but THIS individual in THIS situation is breaking no laws, works several jobs, and no place in the article does it say she is taking money from the government.

Lighten up. Your world isn't falling apart because this woman has cheap rent.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:48 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,656,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMeriMarry View Post
I didn't say that nothing that affects an individual can affect society. But the landlord getting less rent is hardly a drain on society as a whole. The landlord choose to buy the building and rent it out. No one is forced into the rental business.

I won't argue the pros or cons of rent control, but THIS individual in THIS situation is breaking no laws, works several jobs, and no place in the article does it say she is taking money from the government.

Lighten up. Your world isn't falling apart because this woman has cheap rent.
I only have one question. Does the owner of the building take a loss after taxes, If so is that fair?

Old 03-27-2018, 11:55 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,451,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Who cares what some loser societal dropout does? Normal people don't want to live like a perpetual college student in a state of bare subsistence, relying on government handouts.
Government handouts? There's nothing in the story about government handouts.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:57 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,451,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
I only have one question. Does the owner of the building take a loss after taxes, If so is that fair?
The taxes stay lower with the rent. I think rent control is ridiculous and harmful, but then again, any landlord in SF or NYC knows what they're getting into when they make a purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies